Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > installing xp

installing xp

Šaz ©.

want to install xp over win98, will all my documents and dial up settings be
saved if I am not going to reformat, or would a clean install be best?
tia

pcbutts1

If you tell it to upgrade all your settings will be saved. I recommend
backing up your files, upgrading, and see if everything is working fine. If
there are any problems then you can always start over with a clean install.

"Šaz ©." <bitemy@.ss.com> wrote in message
news:iGMAb.1729$(E-Mail Removed)...
> want to install xp over win98, will all my documents and dial up settings

be
> saved if I am not going to reformat, or would a clean install be best?
> tia

Harrison

I was going to reply, but then I read pcbutts's response and realized
that it can't be improved upon.

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 21:07:34 -0000, "Šaz ©." <bitemy@.ss.com> wrote:

>want to install xp over win98, will all my documents and dial up settings be
>saved if I am not going to reformat, or would a clean install be best?
>tia

BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ

Šaz ©. wrote:
> want to install xp over win98, will all my documents and dial up settings be
> saved if I am not going to reformat, or would a clean install be best?
> tia

THEORETICALLY... it should al come through just fine. But the line I
follow this up with is, "Theoretically, Grig, we should already be
DEAD!" (The Last Starfighter).

XP does have an Uninstall feature, so that if you don't like it, you can
just zap it off.

Seriously, I would *highly* suggest investing in a second HD and
installing XP Clean to that drive and dual-boot the 98 drive. If nothing
else, Just Incase. After all, I don't trust MS product any further than
I can code it.

Good Luck! I'm pullin' for ya.

BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
(BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

M Mullen

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 21:07:34 -0000, "?az ?." <bitemy@.ss.com> wrote:
(E-mail sent if a reply)

|> want to install xp over win98, will all my documents and dial up settings be
|> saved if I am not going to reformat, or would a clean install be best?
|> tia

A clean install, no question. You know what you've got, and not worry which
file\driver\dll is really installed.

I'd follow BuffNET suggestion. If not a second drive make a new partition and
install XP there.

RIght now I boot 98\2000\XP I use 2000 extensively, but have to boot into 98 as
It's the only system that lets me connect and transfer my Pix and Videos from
my cell phone.

--
,,
( "> w