Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Compaq Deskpro no video

Compaq Deskpro no video

Data888

I recently acquired a Compaq Deskpro computer. I'm not sure of the
model, but it's a PII 350.
I installed a hard drive and RAM, but when I try to boot it there is no
video. There are no error beep codes either.
Any suggestions?

Nick

mchermans

"Data888" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I recently acquired a Compaq Deskpro computer. I'm not sure of the
> model, but it's a PII 350.
> I installed a hard drive and RAM, but when I try to boot it there is no
> video. There are no error beep codes either.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Nick

°Mike°

First things first. Check the monitor cables. Remove them
and refit them, making sure the fit is snug. If possible, try
new cables. Check the video card, also.

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 14:45:04 +1100, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Data888 scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Data888

Tried two different monitors. The video is onboard. I don't have any PCI
video cards.

°Mike° wrote:
> First things first. Check the monitor cables. Remove them
> and refit them, making sure the fit is snug. If possible, try
> new cables. Check the video card, also.
>

> On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 14:45:04 +1100, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Data888 scrawled:
>

>>I recently acquired a Compaq Deskpro computer. I'm not sure of the
>>model, but it's a PII 350.
>>I installed a hard drive and RAM, but when I try to boot it there is no
>>video. There are no error beep codes either.
>>Any suggestions?
>>
>>Nick

°Mike°

Make sure the on-board video is not disabled in the BIOS.
Also, *do* try different monitor cables if you can.

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 14:59:13 +1100, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Data888 scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Data888

The cables are attached to the monitors. And how can I check the BIOS if
I can't see anything?

°Mike° wrote:
> Make sure the on-board video is not disabled in the BIOS.
> Also, *do* try different monitor cables if you can.
>

> On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 14:59:13 +1100, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Data888 scrawled:
>

>>Tried two different monitors. The video is onboard. I don't have
>>any PCI video cards.
>>
>>°Mike° wrote:
>>
>>>First things first. Check the monitor cables. Remove them
>>>and refit them, making sure the fit is snug. If possible, try
>>>new cables. Check the video card, also.
>>>

>>>On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 14:45:04 +1100, in
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> Data888 scrawled:

°Mike°

D'oh! Sorry.

Remove all, repeat all, of the hardware - basically, take it
apart - and make *absolutely* sure that everything, including
the RAM is seated properly, and snuggly. As I have said, use
new cables wherever you can. If you still have problems, it
may be a motherboard problem, assuming the two monitors
you tried are both ok.

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 15:02:32 +1100, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Data888 scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Data888

Damn. I found a CMOS clear jumper, and tried that, but no good. If I
pull the RAM out and try to boot I get a beep code, which I guess means
"NO RAM". I might try replacing the RAM with some from my other computer.

°Mike° wrote:
> D'oh! Sorry.
>
> Remove all, repeat all, of the hardware - basically, take it
> apart - and make *absolutely* sure that everything, including
> the RAM is seated properly, and snuggly. As I have said, use
> new cables wherever you can. If you still have problems, it
> may be a motherboard problem, assuming the two monitors
> you tried are both ok.
>

> On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 15:02:32 +1100, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Data888 scrawled:
>

>>The cables are attached to the monitors. And how can I check
>>the BIOS if I can't see anything?
>>
>>°Mike° wrote:
>>
>>>Make sure the on-board video is not disabled in the BIOS.
>>>Also, *do* try different monitor cables if you can.
>>>

>>>On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 14:59:13 +1100, in
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> Data888 scrawled:

Data888

It was bad RAM. I replaced it and the system now works fine. Thanks for
your help Mike.

Data888 wrote:
> I recently acquired a Compaq Deskpro computer. I'm not sure of the
> model, but it's a PII 350.
> I installed a hard drive and RAM, but when I try to boot it there is no
> video. There are no error beep codes either.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Nick

IC

Data888 wrote:
> I recently acquired a Compaq Deskpro computer. I'm not sure of the
> model, but it's a PII 350.
> I installed a hard drive and RAM, but when I try to boot it there is
> no video. There are no error beep codes either.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Nick

Are you sure the RAM you installed is the correct type for that system?
Is the RAM installed properly...pull it out of the motherboard and
re-insert it, making sure it's seated properly.
How much RAM did you add; what is the total amount of RAM?