Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > back up copy of operating system

back up copy of operating system

jonbenken

i would like to burn a copy of xp from a file, what file extension should
it be and is there anything i must do to make it bootable?

°Mike°

You want to burn an entire operating system onto one
file, and make it bootable? Good luck!

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 12:47:28 -0500, in
<dJoAb.6$(E-Mail Removed)>
jonbenken scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Alien Zord

"jonbenken" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
message news:dJoAb.6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> i would like to burn a copy of xp from a file, what file extension should
> it be and is there anything i must do to make it bootable?

An image of your hard drive or a copy of the OS CD?

jonbenken

mike, i just want to burn a copy of xp pro onto cd
i have never done this before and was wondering how... i have xp on my
system already but it came without cd....i have found a copy on kazaa and
want to make a cd so i can reinstall
`

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You want to burn an entire operating system onto one
> file, and make it bootable? Good luck!
>

> On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 12:47:28 -0500, in
> <dJoAb.6$(E-Mail Removed)>
> jonbenken scrawled:
>
> >i would like to burn a copy of xp from a file, what file extension

should
> >it be and is there anything i must do to make it bootable?
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

Why did you buy a computer system without a CD?

I'm not in the habit of helping with pirating.

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 14:04:33 -0500, in
<VLpAb.924$(E-Mail Removed)>
jonbenken scrawled:

>mike, i just want to burn a copy of xp pro onto cd
>i have never done this before and was wondering how... i have xp on my
>system already but it came without cd....i have found a copy on kazaa and
>want to make a cd so i can reinstall

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You want to burn an entire operating system onto one
>> file, and make it bootable? Good luck!
>>

>> On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 12:47:28 -0500, in
>> <dJoAb.6$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> jonbenken scrawled:
>>
>> >i would like to burn a copy of xp from a file, what file extension

>should
>> >it be and is there anything i must do to make it bootable?
>> >

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

Basic computer maintenance

Paul - xxx

jonbenken posted ...

> i would like to burn a copy of xp from a file, what file extension
> should it be and is there anything i must do to make it bootable?

If it's to back-up your own system the easiest way (that I use) is to make
an image of the OS and applications as soon as they're put onto the hard
drive.

http://www.powerquest.com/driveimage/

Might help ...

--
Paul

jonbenken

the OS cd but from a file

"Alien Zord" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bqt93t$24p84n$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "jonbenken" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
> message news:dJoAb.6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > i would like to burn a copy of xp from a file, what file extension

should
> > it be and is there anything i must do to make it bootable?
> >

> An image of your hard drive or a copy of the OS CD?

jonbenken

because it was second hand......no cd came with it....i would imagine the
previous owner kept it

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why did you buy a computer system without a CD?
>
> I'm not in the habit of helping with pirating.
>

> On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 14:04:33 -0500, in
> <VLpAb.924$(E-Mail Removed)>
> jonbenken scrawled:
>
> >mike, i just want to burn a copy of xp pro onto cd
> >i have never done this before and was wondering how... i have xp on my
> >system already but it came without cd....i have found a copy on kazaa and
> >want to make a cd so i can reinstall
> >

> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> You want to burn an entire operating system onto one
> >> file, and make it bootable? Good luck!
> >>

> >> On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 12:47:28 -0500, in
> >> <dJoAb.6$(E-Mail Removed)>
> >> jonbenken scrawled:

> >should
> >> >

> >> --
> >> Basic computer maintenance

> Basic computer maintenance

Alien Zord

"jonbenken" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
message news:_jqAb.18$(E-Mail Removed)...
> the OS cd but from a file

What is its current extension?

jonbenken

current extension is .exe

news:bqtcon$25dr1$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...