Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Internet connection problem

Internet connection problem

Hi

I can check my emails with outlook express even posting on newsgroup here..
but just can't connect to any website..wherever i go it says..page cannot be
displayed.
how do i fix that?
I am not a technical person. so pls explain simply.
Thanks

computer is running xp pro
with cable modem

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CylAb.4588$(E-Mail Removed) e.rogers.com...
> Hi
>
> I can check my emails with outlook express even posting on newsgroup

here..
> but just can't connect to any website..wherever i go it says..page cannot

be
> displayed.
> how do i fix that?
> I am not a technical person. so pls explain simply.
> Thanks

°Mike°

Basic computer maintenance

Check your hosts file, if you have one.

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 14:18:10 GMT, in
<CylAb.4588$(E-Mail Removed) gers.com>
<(E-Mail Removed)> scrawled:

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD

Hello Mike

Thanks for your reply
but what's a hosts file? where to check?
how?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Basic computer maintenance
>
> Check your hosts file, if you have one.
>

> On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 14:18:10 GMT, in
> <CylAb.4588$(E-Mail Removed) gers.com>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> scrawled:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >I can check my emails with outlook express even posting on newsgroup

here..
> >but just can't connect to any website..wherever i go it says..page cannot

be
> >displayed.
> >how do i fix that?
> >I am not a technical person. so pls explain simply.
> >Thanks
> >

> --
> STGP, OGPE24HSHD

°Mike°

If you don't know about, you may not have one, unless some
malware has created one on your system. It is a file called
hosts (no extension) that is kept in the Windows folder. Search
your drive, and if you don't have one, don't worry about it.
http://accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 16:58:58 GMT, in
<mVnAb.5517$(E-Mail Removed) gers.com>
<(E-Mail Removed)> scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

yea..my problem here is i cant connect to any of the website
so i can't go to the link you posted here

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you don't know about, you may not have one, unless some
> malware has created one on your system. It is a file called
> hosts (no extension) that is kept in the Windows folder. Search
> your drive, and if you don't have one, don't worry about it.
> http://accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html
>

> On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 16:58:58 GMT, in
> <mVnAb.5517$(E-Mail Removed) gers.com>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> scrawled:
>
> >Hello Mike
> >
> >Thanks for your reply
> >but what's a hosts file? where to check?
> >how?
> >
> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Basic computer maintenance
> >>
> >> Check your hosts file, if you have one.
> >>

> >> On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 14:18:10 GMT, in
> >> <CylAb.4588$(E-Mail Removed) gers.com>
> >> <(E-Mail Removed)> scrawled:

> >here..

cannot
> >be
> >> >

> >> --
> >> STGP, OGPE24HSHD

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Mike

Every web page that i try to go shows

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site
might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your
browser settings.

Please try the following:

a.. Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

b.. If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that
it is spelled correctly.

c.. To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and
then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The
settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN)
administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
d.. If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows
can examine your network and automatically discover network connection
settings.
If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
click Detect Network Settings
e.. Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help
menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength
security you have installed.
f.. If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your
Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click
Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and
check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
g.. Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e7oAb.81164$(E-Mail Removed) ble.rogers.com...
> yea..my problem here is i cant connect to any of the website
> so i can't go to the link you posted here

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > If you don't know about, you may not have one, unless some
> > malware has created one on your system. It is a file called
> > hosts (no extension) that is kept in the Windows folder. Search
> > your drive, and if you don't have one, don't worry about it.
> > http://accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html
> >

> > On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 16:58:58 GMT, in
> > <mVnAb.5517$(E-Mail Removed) gers.com>
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> scrawled:
> >
> > >Hello Mike
> > >
> > >Thanks for your reply
> > >but what's a hosts file? where to check?
> > >how?
> > >
> > >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > >news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > >here..

> cannot
> > >be

> > --
> > Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

Yes, sorry. Forget about the hosts file for now. First of all,
close ALL applications, including Internet Explorer. Open
the Control Panel and from 'Internet Options', empty your
temporary internet files, including offline content. Reboot
and immediately (before you open anything else), empty
your TEMP folder/s. Empty your recycle bin, including the
Norton Protected recycle bin, if you have it.

Try to connect to the web again.

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 17:13:46 GMT, in
<e7oAb.81164$(E-Mail Removed). rogers.com>
<(E-Mail Removed)> scrawled:

>yea..my problem here is i cant connect to any of the website
>so i can't go to the link you posted here

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

just restarted...same thing
can't go to any website..shows only this page cannot be display
the heading of the internet explorer shows cannot find server

weird eh..

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, sorry. Forget about the hosts file for now. First of all,
> close ALL applications, including Internet Explorer. Open
> the Control Panel and from 'Internet Options', empty your
> temporary internet files, including offline content. Reboot
> and immediately (before you open anything else), empty
> your TEMP folder/s. Empty your recycle bin, including the
> Norton Protected recycle bin, if you have it.
>
> Try to connect to the web again.
>

> On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 17:13:46 GMT, in
> <e7oAb.81164$(E-Mail Removed). rogers.com>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> scrawled:
>
> >yea..my problem here is i cant connect to any of the website
> >so i can't go to the link you posted here

> <snip>
>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer
news:jmoAb.81172$(E-Mail Removed) ble.rogers.com...