Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WinXP logon

WinXP logon

Dodgy Dave

I've just installed WinXP. When my pc boots up the only icon in the taskbar
next to the clock is ZoneAlarm. I know i should have several more icons in
this area. If i log myself off then click to re-log myself on only then does
it show the other icons for the programs i have running (AVG/DVD prog/volume
control/safely remove hardware icons). Is there any way i can have these
icons set to appear permanently so i don't have to log myself off then on?
I've poked about in the control panel but can't spot anything obvious? Any
help would be appreciated.

Flying Rat

Dodgy Dave said this...
> I've just installed WinXP. When my pc boots up the only icon in the taskbar
> next to the clock is ZoneAlarm. I know i should have several more icons in
> this area. If i log myself off then click to re-log myself on only then does
> it show the other icons for the programs i have running (AVG/DVD prog/volume
> control/safely remove hardware icons). Is there any way i can have these
> icons set to appear permanently so i don't have to log myself off then on?
> I've poked about in the control panel but can't spot anything obvious? Any
> help would be appreciated.

right click on the area

then when the screen appears, click customise

you can then change the various settings for the icons to show
permanently if desired

FR
--
www.flyingrat.net

docmill

"Dodgy Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bqrg0a$25tj5c$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:

> I've just installed WinXP. When my pc boots up the only icon in the
> taskbar next to the clock is ZoneAlarm. I know i should have several
> more icons in this area. If i log myself off then click to re-log myself
> on only then does it show the other icons for the programs i have
> running (AVG/DVD prog/volume control/safely remove hardware icons). Is
> there any way i can have these icons set to appear permanently so i
> don't have to log myself off then on? I've poked about in the control
> panel but can't spot anything obvious? Any help would be appreciated.

Might help-
http://www.winxpfix.com/page3.htm
the clean boot

--
+++++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++
Docmill's "Home of Hot Links in the FryingSpam"

Patrick

Dodgy Dave wrote:
> I've just installed WinXP. When my pc boots up the only icon in the
> taskbar next to the clock is ZoneAlarm. I know i should have several
> more icons in this area. If i log myself off then click to re-log
> myself on only then does it show the other icons for the programs i
> have running (AVG/DVD prog/volume control/safely remove hardware
> icons). Is there any way i can have these icons set to appear
> permanently so i don't have to log myself off then on? I've poked
> about in the control panel but can't spot anything obvious? Any help
> would be appreciated.

Is thiere not [ a round button with a '<' in it ] , if so then click it, the
rest of the icons should then show (appear), they will then dissapear again
unless you do something with them.
i.e. the icons normally only show when they are in recent/current use !

If above said is not the answer then, right click the 'start' button, click
'Properties', select 'Taskbar' tab, see at bottom of pane the options
concerned.

Dodgy Dave

I've just booted up and all of the icons are there
(volume/avg/zonealarm/safely remove hardware). Don't know what box i've
checked/unchecked. Some people may be glad that the icons are hidden but i
just like to know what's running in the background. Thanks for the tips
everbody - i'll give them a try if the icons disappear.