Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Peculiar pop-up

Peculiar pop-up

Ben E. Hanna

Hi all,
One of my users gets a pop-up only when he goes to a certain web page.
Nobody else get the pop-up when they go to the same page. It's like
the pop-up is associated with just the one page and only on his PC.
Actually, there are two pop-ups, one says Search your favorite porn
and has a field to type text in and threee radio buttons to choose
from. The other says get free teens in your mailbox.
Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Boomer

Ben E. Hanna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi all,
> One of my users gets a pop-up only when he goes to a certain web
> page. Nobody else get the pop-up when they go to the same page.
> It's like the pop-up is associated with just the one page and only
> on his PC. Actually, there are two pop-ups, one says Search your
> favorite porn and has a field to type text in and threee radio
> buttons to choose from. The other says get free teens in your
> mailbox. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Install, at least, the first three.
Keep updated and use often.

Ad-aware (Aims at Adware/Spyware.)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

SpybotSD Aims for the dialers, trojans,
hijackers and security/privacy issues.
http://www.safer-networking.org/

Spyware Blaster

http://vipmeister.com/dl/aspy/aspy.html

StartupList, HijackThis and CoolWebShredder
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/

Info on above and more.

Parasites: Cookies, Dialers, Keyloggers, Trackers
http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/bhoindex.htm

~ Spyware Information ~
http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm

~Unsolicited commercial software list and info~
http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

~Other software~
http://www.wilders.org/

Newsgroup: alt.privacy.spyware

Top 10 Tips to Keep Your Computer Virus-Free
http://www.symantec.com/homecomputin...ry/topten.html

°Mike°

Install, update and use all of the following:

Spybot Search & Destroy
http://spybot.eon.net.au/
http://www.safer-networking.org/
SpyBot S&D guide

Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Spyware Blaster

HijackThis
http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 12:50:00 -0800, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Ben E. Hanna scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Professor

Run a program like Spybot search and destroy. Get rid of all cookies and
temporary internet files.
"Ben E. Hanna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
> One of my users gets a pop-up only when he goes to a certain web page.
> Nobody else get the pop-up when they go to the same page. It's like
> the pop-up is associated with just the one page and only on his PC.
> Actually, there are two pop-ups, one says Search your favorite porn
> and has a field to type text in and threee radio buttons to choose
> from. The other says get free teens in your mailbox.
> Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Blinky the Shark

Ben E Hanna wrote:

> One of my users gets a pop-up only when he goes to a certain web page.
> Nobody else get the pop-up when they go to the same page. It's like
> the pop-up is associated with just the one page and only on his PC.
> Actually, there are two pop-ups, one says Search your favorite porn
> and has a field to type text in and threee radio buttons to choose
> from. The other says get free teens in your mailbox.

Perhaps he's the only one of your circle getting that last pop-up because
the rest of you don't have mailboxes large enough to hold teens.

--
Blinky - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Linux RU 297263
[still no new sig]

Andrew Criddle

Ben E. Hanna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> Hi all,
> One of my users gets a pop-up only when he goes to a certain web page.
> Nobody else get the pop-up when they go to the same page. It's like
> the pop-up is associated with just the one page and only on his PC.
> Actually, there are two pop-ups, one says Search your favorite porn
> and has a field to type text in and threee radio buttons to choose
> from. The other says get free teens in your mailbox.
> Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

this is almost certainly due to the
Cool Web Search (CWS) hijacker probably
courtesy of fastsearch.
CWShredder (downloadable free) should deal
with it