Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Canadian Market computers

Canadian Market computers

JJ

I Have a Compaq 5447
AMD 450 mz
8meg videocard
This machine is not upgradeable.

I like my printer, scanner, and trinitron monitor.
What I need is a new computer.
I am not a power user but a few games would be nice.

What is the best brand name bang for the buck starting around $500.
I choose this price because entire systems are now being listed for $699.

Harrison

The entire systems advertised are cheap because they are minimal
machines, usually with on-board graphics and sound.
If you play games, you'll be greatly disappointed.
All things considered, Dell is hard to beat for overall value. Their
systems are well-made and their support is better than many others.
Use the customize feature on their site to create the system you want.

A quick Google search may also help you find unadvertised discount
codes for Dell.

On 2 Dec 2003 07:17:45 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (JJ) wrote:

>I Have a Compaq 5447
>AMD 450 mz
>8meg videocard
>This machine is not upgradeable.
>
>I like my printer, scanner, and trinitron monitor.
>What I need is a new computer.
>I am not a power user but a few games would be nice.
>
>What is the best brand name bang for the buck starting around $500.
>I choose this price because entire systems are now being listed for $699.

Harvey Van Sickle

On 02 Dec 2003, JJ wrote

> I Have a Compaq 5447
> AMD 450 mz
> 8meg videocard
> This machine is not upgradeable.
>
> I like my printer, scanner, and trinitron monitor.
> What I need is a new computer.
> I am not a power user but a few games would be nice.
>
> What is the best brand name bang for the buck starting around
> $500.

I was in exactly the same situation last summer -- just wanted a new
box, without a new monitor or other peripheralsa.

If it's at all similar to the situation in the UK, you'd be way better
off spending the same amount on custom-building a new box for yourself.
(Or if that panics you, paying someone to do it for you.)

I found that it didn't save me much compared to the most basic new
units off the shelf, but (a) I got a way better machine for that money;
and (b) I got to re-use my existing OS (with which I'm happy, and it
didn't mean upgrading peripherals); and (c) the machine is a lot more
upgradeable than the cheap boxes (which tend to cut so many corners to
get the price down that future upgrading can be difficult).

--
Cheers,
Harvey

For e-mail, change harvey to whhvs.

gangle

"JJ" wrote in message
> I Have a Compaq 5447
> AMD 450 mz
> 8meg videocard
> This machine is not upgradeable.
>
> I like my printer, scanner, and trinitron monitor.
> What I need is a new computer.
> I am not a power user but a few games would be nice.
>
> What is the best brand name bang for the buck starting around $500.
> I choose this price because entire systems are now being listed for $699.

If you insist on having a name brand unit, your best bet is DELL:
quality parts, good engineering, flexible regarding upgrades, and
reasonably good customer support.

JJ

"gangle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "JJ" wrote in message
> > I Have a Compaq 5447
> > AMD 450 mz
> > 8meg videocard
> > This machine is not upgradeable.
> >
> > I like my printer, scanner, and trinitron monitor.
> > What I need is a new computer.
> > I am not a power user but a few games would be nice.
> >
> > What is the best brand name bang for the buck starting around $500.
> > I choose this price because entire systems are now being listed for $699.

> If you insist on having a name brand unit, your best bet is DELL:
> quality parts, good engineering, flexible regarding upgrades, and
> reasonably good customer support.

I also thought Dell would be the way to go. One thing is certain I
wouldn't touch Compaq with a ten foot pole. The whole point of brand
name was for tech support to get over the lumps of learning to use the
windows platform.
Compaq failed.
On one occasion a Compaq techie admitted the internet short cut
buttons on the keyboard never worked properly. Their solution to just
about every problem was to do a quick restore. When I finally did that
the machine did not operate at all like what they had shipped.
Unbelievable bull ****.

Thanks for the insights.