Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Man, you just gotta LOVE CA's tech support people <rant>

Man, you just gotta LOVE CA's tech support people <rant>

-= Hawk =-

[Begin Rant]

A week or more ago I decided to download the latest dat file for their
eTrust Antivirus. Got a 'query error'. Waited a while. Got a 'query
error'. Several hours later, got that old 'query error'. Went to their
web site, "asked sammy" (what a moronic support tool). The only
entry for 'query error' clearly stated it did NOT apply to current
versions (and it doesn't) of the software. Looked around some
more, no solution. Leapt through hoops to submit a request for
support. Clearly stated "The only entry in your database for 'query
error' does NOT apply to my version of the software only older
versions". Hours pass, the problem (which was at their end!)
clears up on it own. Hours pass, I get a reply that says I've
gotten a reply. Yes, you read that right, instead of sending
me an email WITH my reply they send you an email so you can
go GET your reply. So I head back to their web page and
read my reply. You've probably guess what happens here but
I might as well say it. Their response was link to the document
that I had already referenced as NOT applying to my version
of their software. The tech had, at that time, closed the
support ticket as well. I submit a request to reopen the ticket.
I point out that their web support, the one that I already read,
the one I told them I already read, the one they said answered
my question (it didn't) did NOT apply to my version and since
they asked me what version I was using when I jumped through
their hoops to ask for support could they please supply me with
an answer that's actually right. The tech at that time closed the
support ticket without a response. Days pass, I said "That's
just not right, I paid MONEY for their software and support
even after they lied to all the users of the free version of their
virus scanner." [Anyone else remember that whole MONTH
between "We will continue to support the free version of
the software for as long as people use it" and "Give us
money, ****ers."?] So I politely detailed what had happened
and sent an email off to CA (after digging their email address
out of the help files). Days pass. I got a reply this morning.
Ya know what this one said? "Download the latest version
of our software to solve your 'query error' problem." (that's
the problem that cleared itself up days ago mind you) and
completely ignoring the fact that the email wasn't about
my problem (which no longer existed) but was with their
tech support people not actually READING the questions
before they answer them. Isn't irony wonderful?

[ok, enough ranting for now]

Riddles II, v3
- T. Pratchett

TRADESMAN

-= Hawk =- wrote:
> [Begin Rant]
>
> A week or more ago I decided to download the latest dat file for their
> eTrust Antivirus. Got a 'query error'. Waited a while. Got a 'query
> error'. Several hours later, got that old 'query error'. Went to their
> web site, "asked sammy" (what a moronic support tool). The only
> entry for 'query error' clearly stated it did NOT apply to current
> versions (and it doesn't) of the software. Looked around some
> more, no solution. Leapt through hoops to submit a request for
> support. Clearly stated "The only entry in your database for 'query
> error' does NOT apply to my version of the software only older
> versions". Hours pass, the problem (which was at their end!)
> clears up on it own. Hours pass, I get a reply that says I've
> gotten a reply. Yes, you read that right, instead of sending
> me an email WITH my reply they send you an email so you can
> go GET your reply. So I head back to their web page and
> read my reply. You've probably guess what happens here but
> I might as well say it. Their response was link to the document
> that I had already referenced as NOT applying to my version
> of their software. The tech had, at that time, closed the
> support ticket as well. I submit a request to reopen the ticket.
> I point out that their web support, the one that I already read,
> the one I told them I already read, the one they said answered
> my question (it didn't) did NOT apply to my version and since
> they asked me what version I was using when I jumped through
> their hoops to ask for support could they please supply me with
> an answer that's actually right. The tech at that time closed the
> support ticket without a response. Days pass, I said "That's
> just not right, I paid MONEY for their software and support
> even after they lied to all the users of the free version of their
> virus scanner." [Anyone else remember that whole MONTH
> between "We will continue to support the free version of
> the software for as long as people use it" and "Give us
> money, ****ers."?] So I politely detailed what had happened
> and sent an email off to CA (after digging their email address
> out of the help files). Days pass. I got a reply this morning.
> Ya know what this one said? "Download the latest version
> of our software to solve your 'query error' problem." (that's
> the problem that cleared itself up days ago mind you) and
> completely ignoring the fact that the email wasn't about
> my problem (which no longer existed) but was with their
> tech support people not actually READING the questions
> before they answer them. Isn't irony wonderful?
>
> [ok, enough ranting for now]

Had very similar problems to you. Luckily it was with the 30 day trial offer
and I certainly didn't go on to to the paid version.
Sammy is a perfect case for euthanasia!!

Boomer

-= Hawk =- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> [Begin Rant]
>
> A week or more ago I decided to download the latest dat file for
> their eTrust Antivirus. Got a 'query error'. Waited a while. Got a
> 'query error'. Several hours later, got that old 'query error'.
> Went to their web site, "asked sammy" (what a moronic support
> tool). The only entry for 'query error' clearly stated it did NOT
> apply to current versions (and it doesn't) of the software. Looked
> around some more, no solution. Leapt through hoops to submit a
> request for support. Clearly stated "The only entry in your
> database for 'query error' does NOT apply to my version of the
> software only older versions". Hours pass, the problem (which was
> at their end!) clears up on it own. Hours pass, I get a reply that
> says I've gotten a reply. Yes, you read that right, instead of
> sending me an email WITH my reply they send you an email so you
> can go GET your reply. So I head back to their web page and
> read my reply. You've probably guess what happens here but
> I might as well say it. Their response was link to the document
> that I had already referenced as NOT applying to my version
> of their software. The tech had, at that time, closed the
> support ticket as well. I submit a request to reopen the ticket.
> I point out that their web support, the one that I already read,
> the one I told them I already read, the one they said answered
> my question (it didn't) did NOT apply to my version and since
> they asked me what version I was using when I jumped through
> their hoops to ask for support could they please supply me with
> an answer that's actually right. The tech at that time closed the
> support ticket without a response. Days pass, I said "That's
> just not right, I paid MONEY for their software and support
> even after they lied to all the users of the free version of their
> virus scanner." [Anyone else remember that whole MONTH
> between "We will continue to support the free version of
> the software for as long as people use it" and "Give us
> money, ****ers."?] So I politely detailed what had happened
> and sent an email off to CA (after digging their email address
> out of the help files). Days pass. I got a reply this morning.
> Ya know what this one said? "Download the latest version
> of our software to solve your 'query error' problem." (that's
> the problem that cleared itself up days ago mind you) and
> completely ignoring the fact that the email wasn't about
> my problem (which no longer existed) but was with their
> tech support people not actually READING the questions
> before they answer them. Isn't irony wonderful?
>
> [ok, enough ranting for now]

I'd be ranting too! I hate those canned replies especially when they
lead you around in circles!

Good luck with CA!

Paul - xxx

-= Hawk =- posted ...

> [Begin Rant]
>
> A week or more ago I decided to download the latest dat file for their
> eTrust Antivirus. Got a 'query error'.

> [ok, enough ranting for now]

I kept getting that error for a short while, cleared up, came back, then it
decided I wasn't actually subscribed to EZ AV anymore so stopped me getting
downloads altogether. (I _was_ still well, about a month, within the years
subscription).

As with your problem the on-site help wasn't help at all, just an annoyance.

I now use on-line, AVG and am actively trying other AV programs ...

It annoys me muchly, especially as EZ AV was one I hyped and recommended any
time I needed to.

--
Digweed

-= Hawk =-

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 18:29:04 -0000, "Paul - xxx"
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled:

>-= Hawk =- posted ...
>
>> [Begin Rant]
>>
>> A week or more ago I decided to download the latest dat file for their
>> eTrust Antivirus. Got a 'query error'.

>> [ok, enough ranting for now]

>I kept getting that error for a short while, cleared up, came back, then it
>decided I wasn't actually subscribed to EZ AV anymore so stopped me getting
>downloads altogether. (I _was_ still well, about a month, within the years
>subscription).

Ouch, you've got better reasons to be mad than me even

>As with your problem the on-site help wasn't help at all, just an annoyance.
>
>I now use on-line, AVG and am actively trying other AV programs ...
>
>It annoys me muchly, especially as EZ AV was one I hyped and recommended any
>time I needed to.

I really like the program it's got a really small footprint, it's
completely non-intrusive but their support totally blows.

Riddles II, v3
- T. Pratchett

Paul - xxx

-= Hawk =- posted ...

> On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 18:29:04 -0000, "Paul - xxx"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled:
>
>> -= Hawk =- posted ...
>>
>>> [Begin Rant]
>>>
>>> A week or more ago I decided to download the latest dat file for
>>> their eTrust Antivirus. Got a 'query error'.

>>> [ok, enough ranting for now]

>> I kept getting that error for a short while, cleared up, came back,
>> then it decided I wasn't actually subscribed to EZ AV anymore so
>> stopped me getting downloads altogether. (I _was_ still well, about
>> a month, within the years subscription).

> Ouch, you've got better reasons to be mad than me even
>
>> As with your problem the on-site help wasn't help at all, just an
>> annoyance.
>>
>> I now use on-line, AVG and am actively trying other AV programs ...
>>
>> It annoys me muchly, especially as EZ AV was one I hyped and
>> recommended any time I needed to.

> I really like the program it's got a really small footprint, it's
> completely non-intrusive

Agreed, awesome for it's size ..

> but their support totally blows.

Agreed, awesomely sucks ...

Must admit, after looking round, I reckon the odd uninstall and
re-installation of EZ AV is still probably the best bet overall. Screw the
poor support, the program's still most excellent, though I _am_ still
looking ... ;(

--
Digweed

Thund3rstruck

-= Hawk =- Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
proclaimed in <t0gmsvocjvij36h9s2njuagr9d5132if2h@news-server>:

> [Begin Rant]

<good rant snipped>
> [ok, enough ranting for now]

I had similar problems with their Arcserve v9 line. When we
purchased the software it said it was compatible with a certain model
backup/magazine/loader drive.

Guess what? It wasn't last April, but I found that out after working
with the tech on the phone for 2 days. He said it would be fixed with
SP2 for this. (Software was out 3 weeks and they released sp1, BTW)

Guess what II? It STILL isn't compatible!

Oh, btw? Their helpdesk is outsourced to Calcutta India, I think the
tech said...

NOI

Love love love imuaplease@gmail.com C++ 0 06-03-2009 02:53 AM
Gotta love dogs... MarkČ Digital Photography 3 03-15-2007 11:36 PM
Gotta love it Noah Roberts C++ 1 03-30-2006 12:04 AM
Gotta love filters Winged Computer Security 2 11-21-2005 02:29 AM

Advertisments