Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Mobo On-Board Sound + PCI Sound Card?

Mobo On-Board Sound + PCI Sound Card?

John E

I have a motherboard (LX BN790E) with on-board sound (Avance AC97). I also
have a Creative Sound Blaster PCI card. I would like to make use of and have
both sound devices installed on my machine simultaneously.

My problem is that whenever my SB PCI card is installed Windows XP doesn't
recognise my on-board sound, yet when I remove my SB PCI card the mobo
on-board sound works fine.

Does anyone know how I can get both working at the same time and/or what the
problem is?

Alceryes

"John E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bqa4t6$209cta$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I have a motherboard (LX BN790E) with on-board sound (Avance AC97). I also
> have a Creative Sound Blaster PCI card. I would like to make use of and

have
> both sound devices installed on my machine simultaneously.
>
> My problem is that whenever my SB PCI card is installed Windows XP doesn't
> recognise my on-board sound, yet when I remove my SB PCI card the mobo
> on-board sound works fine.
>
> Does anyone know how I can get both working at the same time and/or what

the
> problem is?

Why would you want to use an AC97 over a SB Live?
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
- Alceryes

John E

"Alceryes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "John E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bqa4t6$209cta$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > I have a motherboard (LX BN790E) with on-board sound (Avance AC97). I

also
> > have a Creative Sound Blaster PCI card. I would like to make use of and

> have
> > both sound devices installed on my machine simultaneously.
> >
> > My problem is that whenever my SB PCI card is installed Windows XP

doesn't
> > recognise my on-board sound, yet when I remove my SB PCI card the mobo
> > on-board sound works fine.
> >
> > Does anyone know how I can get both working at the same time and/or what

> the
> > problem is?
> >

> Why would you want to use an AC97 over a SB Live?

I want to use them simultaneously. I'd use the SB card as the primary
device.

CJ

Hi,

there is no problem. It's that on cheaper computer installations without a separate sound
card you just use the generally inferior but adequate on board sound. If you then purchase
a seperate higher quality sound card you turn off the on-board sound via a DIP switch. Why
do you want or need to run both together? Your system can only output sound to one audio
device at a time anyway so disable your on-bnoard sound and use your better SB card.

CJ

"John E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bqa4t6$209cta$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I have a motherboard (LX BN790E) with on-board sound (Avance AC97). I also
> have a Creative Sound Blaster PCI card. I would like to make use of and have
> both sound devices installed on my machine simultaneously.
>
> My problem is that whenever my SB PCI card is installed Windows XP doesn't
> recognise my on-board sound, yet when I remove my SB PCI card the mobo
> on-board sound works fine.
>
> Does anyone know how I can get both working at the same time and/or what the
> problem is?

John E

"CJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bqa8p0$dni$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> there is no problem. It's that on cheaper computer installations without a

separate sound
> card you just use the generally inferior but adequate on board sound. If

you then purchase
> a seperate higher quality sound card you turn off the on-board sound via a

DIP switch.

My machine allows me to do it via the BIOS.

> Why
> do you want or need to run both together?

....because I have MP3 mixing software that requires two separate output
devices.

> Your system can only output sound to one audio
> device at a time anyway so disable your on-bnoard sound and use your

better SB card.

This is the setting I had when I only required one sound device. I now need
two.

Ljuteplow

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 14:05:31 +0000, John E wrote:

> "CJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bqa8p0$dni$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> there is no problem. It's that on cheaper computer installations without a

> separate sound
>> card you just use the generally inferior but adequate on board sound. If

> you then purchase
>> a seperate higher quality sound card you turn off the on-board sound via a

> DIP switch.
>
> My machine allows me to do it via the BIOS.
>
>> Why
>> do you want or need to run both together?

> ...because I have MP3 mixing software that requires two separate output
> devices.
>
>> Your system can only output sound to one audio
>> device at a time anyway so disable your on-bnoard sound and use your

> better SB card.
>
> This is the setting I had when I only required one sound device. I now need
> two.

Disable the AC'97 and buy another SB card.

IC

John E wrote:
> I have a motherboard (LX BN790E) with on-board sound (Avance AC97). I
> also have a Creative Sound Blaster PCI card. I would like to make use
> of and have both sound devices installed on my machine simultaneously.
>
> My problem is that whenever my SB PCI card is installed Windows XP
> doesn't recognise my on-board sound, yet when I remove my SB PCI card
> the mobo on-board sound works fine.
>
> Does anyone know how I can get both working at the same time and/or
> what the problem is?

The on-board sound uses one of the PCI slots internally and if you have the
SB plugged into the same slot (MB hardware dependent), both cannot work.
Try moving the SB card to another PCI slot. Un-install it first; shut down,
move the card, then turn the system on and re-install it.

John Holmes

CJ came up with this:
> If you then purchase a seperate higher
> quality sound card you turn off the on-board sound via a DIP switch.

<snigger>

--
"It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."

DaveW

XP is designed to use only ONE soundcard source; in your case you can use
EITHER the onboard or the Creative, not both.

--
DaveW

"John E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bqa4t6$209cta$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I have a motherboard (LX BN790E) with on-board sound (Avance AC97). I also
> have a Creative Sound Blaster PCI card. I would like to make use of and

have
> both sound devices installed on my machine simultaneously.
>
> My problem is that whenever my SB PCI card is installed Windows XP doesn't
> recognise my on-board sound, yet when I remove my SB PCI card the mobo
> on-board sound works fine.
>
> Does anyone know how I can get both working at the same time and/or what

the
> problem is?

Shepİ

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 23:55:02 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "DaveW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
:

>XP is designed to use only ONE soundcard source; in your case you can use
>EITHER the onboard or the Creative, not both.

Hmmm.Undecided on this.Let U know later

Tweaker Extreme

--
Free Windows/PC help,