Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Favicons?

Favicons?

~˘makey$

Quite some time ago somebody on one of the newsgroups showed me how to make
favicons and how to insert into webpage. I did what was told and could not
get it to work and gave up on doing it but left the code in their. Low and
behold, yesterday I opened the same site in Netscape 7.1 and favicon show up
in there but not in Internet Explorer. Does one have to do something
differently to get to work in Internet Explorer?
thanks

why?

http://www.favicon.com/
http://www.clickfire.com/viewpoints/...s/favicons.php

>get it to work and gave up on doing it but left the code in their. Low and
>behold, yesterday I opened the same site in Netscape 7.1 and favicon show up
>in there but not in Internet Explorer. Does one have to do something
>differently to get to work in Internet Explorer?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/A...ortcutIcon.asp

If not, www.google.com
Searched English pages for
favicons

Me

-= Hawk =-

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 13:02:26 GMT, ~˘makey$
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled:

>I have attached two examples

This is not a binaries group, idiot.

Riddles II, v3
- T. Pratchett

Patrick

~¢makey$ wrote:
> Why?
> I did not see anything you suggested that would solve my dilemma why
> favicons work in Netscape and not in Internet Explorer.
> I have attached two examples which are current as of this morning.
>
> "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 04:37:21 GMT, ~˘makey$ wrote:
>>
>>> Quite some time ago somebody on one of the newsgroups showed me how
>>> to make favicons and how to insert into webpage. I did what was
>>> told and could not

>> http://www.favicon.com/
>> http://www.clickfire.com/viewpoints/...s/favicons.php
>>
>>> get it to work and gave up on doing it but left the code in their.
>>> Low and behold, yesterday I opened the same site in Netscape 7.1
>>> and favicon show up in there but not in Internet Explorer. Does
>>> one have to do something differently to get to work in Internet
>>> Explorer?

>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/A...ortcutIcon.asp
>>
>> If not, www.google.com
>> Searched English pages for
>> favicons
>> Results 1 - 10 of about 8,230. Search took 0.18 seconds.
>>

>> Me

What I just did, is went to that address, dragged the 'E' favicon to
desktop, shortcut showed the '4' favicon, closed IE, clicked the link, the
'4' favicon was thiere on site.

--
might be helpfull !

why?

Yes, it's me, had to swap ISPs to reply as someone posted 2 binary
files in a text group and my main ISP kindly filtered these messages
out.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Why?
>I did not see anything you suggested that would solve my dilemma why
>favicons work in Netscape and not in Internet Explorer.
>I have attached two examples which are current as of this morning.

Out of all the 8230 hits google found?

Don't forget there are MSIE newsgroups as well.

>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 04:37:21 GMT, ~˘makey$ wrote:
>>
>> >Quite some time ago somebody on one of the newsgroups showed me how to

>make
>> >favicons and how to insert into webpage. I did what was told and could

>not

<snip>

>> >in there but not in Internet Explorer. Does one have to do something
>> >differently to get to work in Internet Explorer?

>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/A...ortcutIcon.asp
>>
>> If not, www.google.com
>> Searched English pages for
>> favicons
>> Results 1 - 10 of about 8,230. Search took 0.18 seconds.

<snip>

Me

~˘makey$

Fortunately most of the people in this newsgroup are here to try and help.
Some in the minority have no consideration for the fact that all of us do
not know the "ins and outs" of newsgroups and will make errors. If I made a
grievous error by posting small examples to make my point, I apologize as I
was not aware that it was a no no! For you "-= Hawk =-" I hope your crude
remark made your biceps and chest size temporarily bigger or whatever other
part of your body it may have increased. Some people get off slamming
people and kicking their pets! See your physiologist for help!

Thanks to the rest of you!

"-= Hawk =-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 13:02:26 GMT, ~˘makey$
> <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled:
>
> >I have attached two examples

> This is not a binaries group, idiot.
>
> --
> 'What Profiteth It A Kingdom If The Oxen Be Deflated?'
> Riddles II, v3
> - T. Pratchett

~˘makey$

Patrick,
That did work on the desktop, why do you suppose it doesn't show in the
address bar in Internet Explorer? What you did does work, but appears one
has create a desktop shortcut for each site. Is there a way around having
to do that?
Thanks for your positive input on this, I appreciate it.

"Patrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yl2yb.1724$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ~¢makey$ wrote:
> > Why?
> > I did not see anything you suggested that would solve my dilemma why
> > favicons work in Netscape and not in Internet Explorer.
> > I have attached two examples which are current as of this morning.
> >
> > "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
> > news(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> http://www.favicon.com/
> >> http://www.clickfire.com/viewpoints/...s/favicons.php

> >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/A...ortcutIcon.asp
> >>
> >> If not, www.google.com
> >> Searched English pages for
> >> favicons
> >> Results 1 - 10 of about 8,230. Search took 0.18 seconds.
> >>

> >> Me

> What I just did, is went to that address, dragged the 'E' favicon to
> desktop, shortcut showed the '4' favicon, closed IE, clicked the link, the
> '4' favicon was thiere on site.
>
> --
> might be helpfull !

-= Hawk =-

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 21:54:14 GMT, "~˘makey$"
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled:

>Fortunately most of the people in this newsgroup are here to try and help.
>Some in the minority have no consideration for the fact that all of us do
>not know the "ins and outs" of newsgroups and will make errors. If I made a
>grievous error by posting small examples to make my point, I apologize as I
>was not aware that it was a no no! For you "-= Hawk =-" I hope your crude
>remark made your biceps and chest size temporarily bigger or whatever other
>part of your body it may have increased. Some people get off slamming
>people and kicking their pets! See your physiologist for help!

When you get over yourself and dry your tears perhaps
you should look into the difference between the binaries
and the text groups, ya ****ing crybaby.

Riddles II, v3
- T. Pratchett