Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can WMP9 codecs be used with WMP7.1?

Can WMP9 codecs be used with WMP7.1?

ECLiPSE 2002

I was informed that I can install the WMP 9 codecs from Windows
Update, which would take care of the newer file formats that are
lacking on my WMP 7.1.

When I go to the MS Codecs download page the only download that looks
appropriate is the " Codecs Installation Package for Windows Media
Video 9 VCM" - is this what I should download or am I missing
something?

Thanks,

Frank

°Mike°

Windows Media Video 9 VCM
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...odecs/vcm.aspx

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 00:10:18 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed) m>
ECLiPSE 2002 scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Chris Lanier

Greetings

To play video encoded with WM9 series you must have WMP9 installed. You
cant play WM9 video in WMP7.

"ECLiPSE 2002" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...

> I was informed that I can install the WMP 9 codecs from Windows
> Update, which would take care of the newer file formats that are
> lacking on my WMP 7.1.
>
> When I go to the MS Codecs download page the only download that looks
> appropriate is the " Codecs Installation Package for Windows Media
> Video 9 VCM" - is this what I should download or am I missing
> something?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Frank

Juan Pérez

Wrong....

In news:#(E-Mail Removed),
Chris Lanier <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> Greetings
>
> To play video encoded with WM9 series you must have WMP9 installed.
> You cant play WM9 video in WMP7.
>
> "ECLiPSE 2002" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
> >
> > I was informed that I can install the WMP 9 codecs from Windows
> > Update, which would take care of the newer file formats that are
> > lacking on my WMP 7.1.
> >
> > When I go to the MS Codecs download page the only download that
> > looks appropriate is the " Codecs Installation Package for Windows
> > Media Video 9 VCM" - is this what I should download or am I missing
> > something?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Frank

Juan Pérez

"Windows Media Audio 9 codec is backwards compatible to play in previous
players".

c&p from MS WMP download site:
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/codecs.aspx#Top>
-Or-
http://tinylink.com/?fEw9MRDGXK
(same difference )

In news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com,
ECLiPSE 2002 <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> I was informed that I can install the WMP 9 codecs from Windows
> Update, which would take care of the newer file formats that are
> lacking on my WMP 7.1.
>
> When I go to the MS Codecs download page the only download that looks
> appropriate is the " Codecs Installation Package for Windows Media
> Video 9 VCM" - is this what I should download or am I missing
> something?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Frank

dj.forest

hummmm, can you be more specific?
Would have to look deeper, but
WMV9 appears to to be usable in WMP7.1 with the following installed.

http://codecs.microsoft.com/codecs/i386/wmv9dmo.cab

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...0-9F5F-9490133
8C922/wmv9VCM.CAB

-dj

"Chris Lanier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings
>
> To play video encoded with WM9 series you must have WMP9 installed. You
> cant play WM9 video in WMP7.
>
> "ECLiPSE 2002" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
> >
> > I was informed that I can install the WMP 9 codecs from Windows
> > Update, which would take care of the newer file formats that are
> > lacking on my WMP 7.1.
> >
> > When I go to the MS Codecs download page the only download that looks
> > appropriate is the " Codecs Installation Package for Windows Media
> > Video 9 VCM" - is this what I should download or am I missing
> > something?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Frank

°Mike°

WRONG! You can even play them in WMP 6.4.

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 19:21:23 -0600, in
<#(E-Mail Removed)>
Chris Lanier scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"Chris Lanier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings
>
> To play video encoded with WM9 series you must have WMP9 installed. You
> cant play WM9 video in WMP7.

You can't, huh? Strange - my copy of WMP 6.4 plays them fine, with
the WMP9 codecs installed.

You MIGHT want to try reading the blurbs at WindowsUpdate sometimes

RwP

Chris Lanier

Greetings

I'm wrong, and so are you. It depends on each play and codec that was used
to encoder the video/audio

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...atibility.aspx

"Juan Pérez" <juan234@.5678.spaz.spa> wrote in message
news:f5Yxb.28492$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
> Wrong....
>
> In news:#(E-Mail Removed),
> Chris Lanier <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> > Greetings
> >
> > To play video encoded with WM9 series you must have WMP9 installed.
> > You cant play WM9 video in WMP7.
> >
> > "ECLiPSE 2002" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
> > >
> > > I was informed that I can install the WMP 9 codecs from Windows
> > > Update, which would take care of the newer file formats that are
> > > lacking on my WMP 7.1.
> > >
> > > When I go to the MS Codecs download page the only download that
> > > looks appropriate is the " Codecs Installation Package for Windows
> > > Media Video 9 VCM" - is this what I should download or am I missing
> > > something?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Frank

Chris Lanier

Greetings

I'm wrong, and so are you. It depends on each play and codec that was used
to encoder the video/audio

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...atibility.aspx

news:(E-Mail Removed)...