Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Move files & data to new PC

Move files & data to new PC

Phil B.

I am planning on purchasing a new PC with XP home and a 80 Gig hard drive.
Will I be able to transfer files, data and software from my old PC Win98 and
a 4 partition 26Gig hard drive. Is their any software available to do this?
Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Phil B.

°Mike°

The fastest way would be to slave the old drive in the new,
and transfer the files that way.

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:44:50 GMT, in
<SJwwb.325102$(E-Mail Removed)>
Phil B. scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Rob K

Le 11/25/2003, "Phil B." a supposé :
> I am planning on purchasing a new PC with XP home and a 80 Gig hard drive.
> Will I be able to transfer files, data and software from my old PC Win98 and
> a 4 partition 26Gig hard drive. Is their any software available to do this?
> Any help appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Phil B.

There are all kinds of tools, but you're changing the OS.

IMHO, there's practically no equivalent for the 'manual' procedure :
- cleaning out your old box
- partitioning your new box as you see fit, installing the OS,
- install latest drivers
- install your programs
- connecting the two boxes using a crossover-cable
- retrieving your data from the old box....

Others may have different views...

Good luck

--
My E-mail address in ROT-13:

Ron Martell

"Phil B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am planning on purchasing a new PC with XP home and a 80 Gig hard drive.
>Will I be able to transfer files, data and software from my old PC Win98 and
>a 4 partition 26Gig hard drive. Is their any software available to do this?
>Any help appreciated. Thanks.
>
>Phil B.

You can use the "Files And Settings Transfer Wizard" that comes with
Windows XP to move your user data files and program configuration
settings to the new machine. However application programs will have
to be reinstalled.

See former MVP Gary Woodruff's article on using the FASTW at
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--