Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > No dial tone?

No dial tone?

°Mike°

Control Panel / Modems / Properties / Connection tab.
Uncheck 'Wait for dial tone before dialing'.

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 19:25:12 -0000, in
<bptln3$4cf$(E-Mail Removed)>
anOLDun scrawled:

>Lo All
>
>OS = WinME
>Modem = internal
>
>Further to my earlier query on wife's pc not booting - up.
>
>It is now up and running but when she tries connecting to the internet she
>gets an error message " no dial tone detected"
>
>Have checked cable it seems fine, have checked actual line ( i.e i
>unplugged telephone line from PC and connected a telephone to cable and i
>did get a dial tone).
>
>Have checked "properties" and it says "device is working properly".
>
>Any advice on what i can try next would be appreciated.
>
>Regards

Basic computer maintenance

anOLDun

Lo All

OS = WinME
Modem = internal

Further to my earlier query on wife's pc not booting - up.

It is now up and running but when she tries connecting to the internet she
gets an error message " no dial tone detected"

Have checked cable it seems fine, have checked actual line ( i.e i
unplugged telephone line from PC and connected a telephone to cable and i
did get a dial tone).

Have checked "properties" and it says "device is working properly".

Any advice on what i can try next would be appreciated.

Regards

DH

Your modem is bad.

"anOLDun" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bptln3$4cf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lo All
>

> OS = WinME
> Modem = internal
>

> Further to my earlier query on wife's pc not booting - up.
>
> It is now up and running but when she tries connecting to the internet she
> gets an error message " no dial tone detected"
>
> Have checked cable it seems fine, have checked actual line ( i.e i
> unplugged telephone line from PC and connected a telephone to cable and i
> did get a dial tone).
>
> Have checked "properties" and it says "device is working properly".
>
> Any advice on what i can try next would be appreciated.
>
> Regards

L Beck

all that's going to do it tell the modem to dial anyway, which will probably
result in a different error message because the modem's probably bad.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Control Panel / Modems / Properties / Connection tab.
> Uncheck 'Wait for dial tone before dialing'.
>

> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 19:25:12 -0000, in
> <bptln3$4cf$(E-Mail Removed)>
> anOLDun scrawled:
>
> >Lo All
> >
> >OS = WinME
> >Modem = internal
> >
> >Further to my earlier query on wife's pc not booting - up.
> >
> >It is now up and running but when she tries connecting to the internet

she
> >gets an error message " no dial tone detected"
> >
> >Have checked cable it seems fine, have checked actual line ( i.e i
> >unplugged telephone line from PC and connected a telephone to cable and i
> >did get a dial tone).
> >
> >Have checked "properties" and it says "device is working properly".
> >
> >Any advice on what i can try next would be appreciated.
> >
> >Regards

> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

Don't talk rubbish. The modem is *always* the last suspect
in a no dial tone error. Putting extra commas in front of
the phone number, and unchecking 'Wait for dial tone..'
is *always* the first thing to try.

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:00:37 -0800, in
<bpu22d$1se64g$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
L Beck scrawled:

>all that's going to do it tell the modem to dial anyway, which will probably
>result in a different error message because the modem's probably bad.

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Control Panel / Modems / Properties / Connection tab.
>> Uncheck 'Wait for dial tone before dialing'.
>>

>> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 19:25:12 -0000, in
>> <bptln3$4cf$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> anOLDun scrawled:
>>
>> >Lo All
>> >
>> >OS = WinME
>> >Modem = internal
>> >
>> >Further to my earlier query on wife's pc not booting - up.
>> >
>> >It is now up and running but when she tries connecting to the internet

>she
>> >gets an error message " no dial tone detected"
>> >
>> >Have checked cable it seems fine, have checked actual line ( i.e i
>> >unplugged telephone line from PC and connected a telephone to cable and i
>> >did get a dial tone).
>> >
>> >Have checked "properties" and it says "device is working properly".
>> >
>> >Any advice on what i can try next would be appreciated.
>> >
>> >Regards

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

Basic computer maintenance

alexandrew

This might help you also, it did help me though.
when you are at the property of your modem, you will see some where on that
page which port your modem is connected, check that and make sure it is your
modem, if it is not, click on the arrow and you will see additional modem(s)
that were installed to your puter before, select the one you have.

"anOLDun" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bptln3$4cf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lo All
>

> OS = WinME
> Modem = internal
>

> Further to my earlier query on wife's pc not booting - up.
>
> It is now up and running but when she tries connecting to the internet she
> gets an error message " no dial tone detected"
>
> Have checked cable it seems fine, have checked actual line ( i.e i
> unplugged telephone line from PC and connected a telephone to cable and i
> did get a dial tone).
>
> Have checked "properties" and it says "device is working properly".
>
> Any advice on what i can try next would be appreciated.
>
> Regards

anOLDun

Hi Mike

Yep it was checked - have now unchecked it....

modem "clicks" as if it is about to start dialing but it doesn't.

Anything else you can suggest?

cheers

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Control Panel / Modems / Properties / Connection tab.
> Uncheck 'Wait for dial tone before dialing'.
>

> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 19:25:12 -0000, in
> <bptln3$4cf$(E-Mail Removed)>
> anOLDun scrawled:
>
> >Lo All
> >
> >OS = WinME
> >Modem = internal
> >
> >Further to my earlier query on wife's pc not booting - up.
> >
> >It is now up and running but when she tries connecting to the internet

she
> >gets an error message " no dial tone detected"
> >
> >Have checked cable it seems fine, have checked actual line ( i.e i
> >unplugged telephone line from PC and connected a telephone to cable and i
> >did get a dial tone).
> >
> >Have checked "properties" and it says "device is working properly".
> >
> >Any advice on what i can try next would be appreciated.
> >
> >Regards

> Basic computer maintenance

anOLDun

Hi DH

UMMMMM don't think it is that but ??????

cheers

"DH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Your modem is bad.
>

> "anOLDun" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bptln3$4cf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Lo All
> >

> > OS = WinME
> > Modem = internal
> >

> > Further to my earlier query on wife's pc not booting - up.
> >
> > It is now up and running but when she tries connecting to the internet

she
> > gets an error message " no dial tone detected"
> >
> > Have checked cable it seems fine, have checked actual line ( i.e i
> > unplugged telephone line from PC and connected a telephone to cable and

> > did get a dial tone).
> >
> > Have checked "properties" and it says "device is working properly".
> >
> > Any advice on what i can try next would be appreciated.
> >
> > Regards

°Mike°

1. Make sure that nothing else is holding the modem open.
2. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and if rnaapp is running, end task it.
3. If you have Call Minder, clear any messages.
4. Add some commas to the beginning of your phone number,
so it looks like ,,,080808080808
5. Reboot.
6. Check all cables/connections are seated correctly.
7. Try different cables.
8. Remove any extension sockets, double connectors/adapters.
9. Have the wall jack point checked.

Check ALL of the above first. If you still have problems....

Does your modem have a 'phone' jack? If so, plug the telephone
into the jack and pick up the phone.

Can you hear a dial tone?
NO:- The cabling and/or the 'line' jack in the modem is probably
faulty.

YES:- Try your dial-up connection while you're still listening on
the phone. If you modem's line relay is working you should no
longer be able to hear the dial tone.

If the modem still reports no dial tone after you have ruled out the
above, then you have most likely got a faulty modem.

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:23:05 -0000, in
<bpu3l5$qu7$(E-Mail Removed)>
anOLDun scrawled:

>Hi Mike
>
>Yep it was checked - have now unchecked it....
>

>modem "clicks" as if it is about to start dialing but it doesn't.
>
>Anything else you can suggest?
>
>cheers

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Control Panel / Modems / Properties / Connection tab.
>> Uncheck 'Wait for dial tone before dialing'.
>>

>> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 19:25:12 -0000, in
>> <bptln3$4cf$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> anOLDun scrawled:
>>
>> >Lo All
>> >
>> >OS = WinME
>> >Modem = internal
>> >
>> >Further to my earlier query on wife's pc not booting - up.
>> >
>> >It is now up and running but when she tries connecting to the internet

>she
>> >gets an error message " no dial tone detected"
>> >
>> >Have checked cable it seems fine, have checked actual line ( i.e i
>> >unplugged telephone line from PC and connected a telephone to cable and i
>> >did get a dial tone).
>> >
>> >Have checked "properties" and it says "device is working properly".
>> >
>> >Any advice on what i can try next would be appreciated.
>> >
>> >Regards

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

Basic computer maintenance

DH

If you've already checked your phone line and your phone cord, and you don't
get a message that says "modem failed to respond", then your modem is bad.

news:bpu3mh$qv5$(E-Mail Removed)...