Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Ongoing Bios Password Problem for Sony Vaio FX Series

Ongoing Bios Password Problem for Sony Vaio FX Series

Treb

Hey Gang,

I have tried all of the suggestions presented to date.

Tried the Bios flash, tried the CMOS Killer utility and tried the cursor
trick to try and get around the password in the Bios Password window.

Some have said it is not possible.

Is it possible to trick my boot sequence and run the CMOS Utility. I just
can't get it to boot from the floppy. Is there another way to run the CMOS
utility using the dos prompts in windows?

Any last suggestions before I go nuts?

Treb the nag..................

Patrick

Treb wrote:
> Hey Gang,
>
> I have tried all of the suggestions presented to date.
>
> Tried the Bios flash, tried the CMOS Killer utility and tried the
> cursor trick to try and get around the password in the Bios Password
> window.
>
> Some have said it is not possible.
>
> Is it possible to trick my boot sequence and run the CMOS Utility. I
> just can't get it to boot from the floppy. Is there another way to
> run the CMOS utility using the dos prompts in windows?
>
> Any last suggestions before I go nuts?
>
> Treb the nag..................

As far as I gather, the Utility KILLCMOS *can* be run from a Windows
enviroment, it will appear to have done nothing until you reboot when you
will get a BIOS checksum error (please read the file that was with the
utility in 'Wordpad').

Also it may be possible to force the machine to boot from floppy-drive by
holding down the 'F' key ('C' for CD).

I don't actually think that the utility is going to work, though I read
somewhere that it can be used in conjunction with some other procedure.
Most of what I read indicated that the only way to do the thing is to
replace the chip, however said allways came from sources selling
service/chips.

I entered the string, something like "Sony Laptop BIOS Password" in to
Google-search-engine.

Patrick

Treb wrote:
> Hey Gang,
>
> I have tried all of the suggestions presented to date.
>
> Tried the Bios flash, tried the CMOS Killer utility and tried the
> cursor trick to try and get around the password in the Bios Password
> window.
>
> Some have said it is not possible.
>
> Is it possible to trick my boot sequence and run the CMOS Utility. I
> just can't get it to boot from the floppy. Is there another way to
> run the CMOS utility using the dos prompts in windows?
>
> Any last suggestions before I go nuts?
>
> Treb the nag..................

In case that you haven't got the manuel, it can be got here, needs pop-ups
enabled (press Ctrl when clicking file).
http://www.iq.sony.com/srvs/sosdocs/...rc=sonysupport

Treb

"Patrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Urdwb.6133$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Treb wrote:
> > Hey Gang,
> >
> > I have tried all of the suggestions presented to date.
> >
> > Tried the Bios flash, tried the CMOS Killer utility and tried the
> > cursor trick to try and get around the password in the Bios Password
> > window.
> >
> > Some have said it is not possible.
> >
> > Is it possible to trick my boot sequence and run the CMOS Utility. I
> > just can't get it to boot from the floppy. Is there another way to
> > run the CMOS utility using the dos prompts in windows?
> >
> > Any last suggestions before I go nuts?
> >
> > Treb the nag..................

> In case that you haven't got the manuel, it can be got here, needs pop-ups
> enabled (press Ctrl when clicking file).
> http://www.iq.sony.com/srvs/sosdocs/...rc=sonysupport

I never got a chance to try the CMOS Killer again, although it may have
already killed me.

My laptop is now stuck in Safe Mode and has no good configuration to fall
back on.

I have restarted and been prompted to start windows normally, but it won't
boot properly.

I get a white square screen flash up with black dots just for a quick
millisecond. It is not happy. Neither am I.

Bummed.....

Any ideas?.

Treb

Scrote

"Few of life's problems cannot be cured by the application of High
Explosive"

"Treb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hey Gang,
>
> I have tried all of the suggestions presented to date.
>
> Tried the Bios flash, tried the CMOS Killer utility and tried the

cursor
> trick to try and get around the password in the Bios Password window.
>
> Some have said it is not possible.
>
> Is it possible to trick my boot sequence and run the CMOS Utility. I

just
> can't get it to boot from the floppy. Is there another way to run the

CMOS
> utility using the dos prompts in windows?
>
> Any last suggestions before I go nuts?
>
> Treb the nag..................

Paul - xxx

Treb posted ...

> Hey Gang,
>
> I have tried all of the suggestions presented to date.
>
> Tried the Bios flash, tried the CMOS Killer utility and tried the
> cursor trick to try and get around the password in the Bios Password
> window.
>
> Some have said it is not possible.
>
> Is it possible to trick my boot sequence and run the CMOS Utility. I
> just can't get it to boot from the floppy. Is there another way to
> run the CMOS utility using the dos prompts in windows?
>
> Any last suggestions before I go nuts?
>
> Treb the nag..................

http://tinyurl.com/wbif

Might help .. I quote ...
"Author Company:
Password Crackers, Inc.

Description :

SONY PCG-FX2xx series Vaio Security Chip w/PRS - The SONY PCG-FX2xx series
Vaio Security Chip (except PCG-FX210 and PCG-FX215) w/Password Recovery
Service allows for resetting of SONY PCG-FX2xx series Vaio BIOS passwords
(except PCG-FX210 and PCG-FX215.) The package includes instructions. This
package includes the replacement chip and the password recovery service to
recover the password from the existing chip that may be necessary to unlock
the hard disk. Old chips must be returned to Password Crackers, Inc. for
password recovery service. This product and service is not manufactured or
authorized by SONY. "

--
Digweed