Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Need formatting options menu for formatting hard drive

Need formatting options menu for formatting hard drive

Mark T.

I use windows 98 and I plan to format my hard drive and I know there are
codes like \c for check for bad sectors and \u for unconditional format but
I do remember that there's a menu that shows all the formatting options and
I think that I'm supposed to access one of the programs within the startup
disk to view it. Does anyone know how I can access the menu? If so, I would
appreciate your help.
--
Thanks in advance.

philo

"Mark T." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Htawb.10433$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I use windows 98 and I plan to format my hard drive and I know there are
> codes like \c for check for bad sectors and \u for unconditional format

but
> I do remember that there's a menu that shows all the formatting options

and
> I think that I'm supposed to access one of the programs within the startup
> disk to view it. Does anyone know how I can access the menu? If so, I

would
> appreciate your help.
> --
> Thanks in advance.

format /?

V W Wall

"Mark T." wrote:

> I use windows 98 and I plan to format my hard drive and I know there are
> codes like \c for check for bad sectors and \u for unconditional format but
> I do remember that there's a menu that shows all the formatting options and
> I think that I'm supposed to access one of the programs within the startup
> disk to view it. Does anyone know how I can access the menu? If so, I would
> appreciate your help.
> --
> Thanks in advance.

This is Microsoft's article: It's worth printing out all 14 pages.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];255867

There are a few "undocummented" switches, but before you try them you
should know all the above.

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........

Dan Boyd

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
V W Wall <(E-Mail Removed)> ventured forth to say:
> "Mark T." wrote:
>>
>> I use windows 98 and I plan to format my hard drive and I know there
>> are codes like \c for check for bad sectors and \u for unconditional
>> format but I do remember that there's a menu that shows all the
>> formatting options and I think that I'm supposed to access one of
>> the programs within the startup disk to view it. Does anyone know
>> how I can access the menu? If so, I would appreciate your help.
>> --
>> Thanks in advance.

> This is Microsoft's article: It's worth printing out all 14 pages.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];255867
>
> There are a few "undocummented" switches, but before you try them you
> should know all the above.
>
> Virg Wall

Copied this from a DOS Prompt window. HTH

C:\WINDOWS>format /?
Formats a disk for use with MS-DOS.

FORMAT drive: [/V[:label]] [/Q] [/F:size] [/B | /S] [/C]
FORMAT drive: [/V[:label]] [/Q] [/T:tracks /N:sectors] [/B | /S] [/C]
FORMAT drive: [/V[:label]] [/Q] [/1] [/4] [/B | /S] [/C]
FORMAT drive: [/Q] [/1] [/4] [/8] [/B | /S] [/C]

/V[:label] Specifies the volume label.
/Q Performs a quick format.
/F:size Specifies the size of the floppy disk to format (such
as 160, 180, 320, 360, 720, 1.2, 1.44, 2.8.
/B Allocates space on the formatted disk for system files.
/S Copies system files to the formatted disk.
/T:tracks Specifies the number of tracks per disk side.
/N:sectors Specifies the number of sectors per track.
/1 Formats a single side of a floppy disk.
/4 Formats a 5.25-inch 360K floppy disk in a high-density drive.
/8 Formats eight sectors per track.
/C Tests clusters that are currently marked "bad."

--

Dan Boyd