Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Bittorent speed question

Bittorent speed question

\\o/ *Arms Up* \\o/

I've only recently downloaded this p2p program, and am having difficulties
getting any decent speeds out of it. At present, I'm trying to download a
pretty large, popular video file but I'm only getting speeds of between 0-2
KiB/s on broadband. It's constantly uploading at 10-12 KiB/s and accordingly
I've uploaded 4 times as much as I've downloaded. I understand that speed
can be capped if certain ports aren't forwarded, but given I'm uploading at
considerably higher speeds, surely this isn't slowing my downloads. Or could
it?

Is there any way to increase this speed? Is it a side-effect of my new
status, and will it incease when I've downloaded more torrents to share with
others? All suggestions appreciated.

Forexample

You need to look for the highest amount of "seeds" (other users), that'll be
next to the name of the file.
"\o/ *Arms Up* \o/" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fc0152b$0$1749$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> I've only recently downloaded this p2p program, and am having difficulties
> getting any decent speeds out of it. At present, I'm trying to download a
> pretty large, popular video file but I'm only getting speeds of between

0-2
> KiB/s on broadband. It's constantly uploading at 10-12 KiB/s and

accordingly
> I've uploaded 4 times as much as I've downloaded. I understand that speed
> can be capped if certain ports aren't forwarded, but given I'm uploading

at
> considerably higher speeds, surely this isn't slowing my downloads. Or

could
> it?
>
> Is there any way to increase this speed? Is it a side-effect of my new
> status, and will it incease when I've downloaded more torrents to share

with
> others? All suggestions appreciated.

Gary G. Taylor

\o/ *Arms Up* \o/ wrote:

> I've only recently downloaded this p2p program, and am having difficulties
> getting any decent speeds out of it. At present, I'm trying to download a
> pretty large, popular video file but I'm only getting speeds of between
> 0-2 KiB/s on broadband. It's constantly uploading at 10-12 KiB/s and
> accordingly I've uploaded 4 times as much as I've downloaded. I understand
> that speed can be capped if certain ports aren't forwarded, but given I'm
> uploading at considerably higher speeds, surely this isn't slowing my
> downloads. Or could it?
>
> Is there any way to increase this speed? Is it a side-effect of my new
> status, and will it incease when I've downloaded more torrents to share
> with others? All suggestions appreciated.

That is, unfortunately, about the norm for P2P connections--5K or 10K is
really screaming. You're probably offering something relatively unique and
keeping your connection level down so that you don't have many simultaneous
uploads going at the same time. Unfortunately, most of the people who use
P2P networks don't realize that; they think they can simultaneously upload
to 5,406 people at the same time just because they have cable. Nuh-uh.

You don't say which program you're using. WinMX and Lopster both support
multisource downloads--that is, they'll simultaneously grab pieces of the
same file from different servers if you get lucky enough to be able to
connect to them; perhaps you need to change to them. Last I tried them,
Lopster is I think the best of the two; last I heard WinMX has bad memory
leaks (won't stay up without crashing both itself and your computer; if you
want to download movies you MUST stay online at least a couple of days just
to get to the bottom of queues) and I don't think it supports multisource
on the OpenNap networks. But there may be a new version of WinMX out which
is better....

Oh, note to the RIAA: I don't share files anymore.

--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

prvt101

"\\o/ *Arms Up* \\o/" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<3fc0152b$0$1749$(E-Mail Removed). au>...
> I've only recently downloaded this p2p program, and am having difficulties
> getting any decent speeds out of it. At present, I'm trying to download a
> pretty large, popular video file but I'm only getting speeds of between 0-2
> KiB/s on broadband. It's constantly uploading at 10-12 KiB/s and accordingly
> I've uploaded 4 times as much as I've downloaded. I understand that speed
> can be capped if certain ports aren't forwarded, but given I'm uploading at
> considerably higher speeds, surely this isn't slowing my downloads. Or could
> it?
>
> Is there any way to increase this speed? Is it a side-effect of my new
> status, and will it incease when I've downloaded more torrents to share with
> others? All suggestions appreciated.

If you're using the official client I suggest you dump it and use a
client that will allow you to control the upload speed like Shadow's
experimental client.

http://www.torrentlinks.com/

By limiting your upload speed to, let's say, 80% of your max, your
download speed won't get strangled. Alternative clients also tell you
how many seeds and leechers there are, thus telling you the number of
sources you're downloading from.

Alien Zord

"\o/ *Arms Up* \o/" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fc0152b$0$1749$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> I've only recently downloaded this p2p program, and am having difficulties
> getting any decent speeds out of it. At present, I'm trying to download a
> pretty large, popular video file but I'm only getting speeds of between

0-2
> KiB/s on broadband. It's constantly uploading at 10-12 KiB/s and

accordingly
> I've uploaded 4 times as much as I've downloaded. I understand that speed
> can be capped if certain ports aren't forwarded, but given I'm uploading

at
> considerably higher speeds, surely this isn't slowing my downloads. Or

could
> it?
>
> Is there any way to increase this speed? Is it a side-effect of my new
> status, and will it incease when I've downloaded more torrents to share

with
> others? All suggestions appreciated.

Some answers here:
http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/FAQ.html

Alien Zord

"Gary G. Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jXWvb.1263$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> You don't say which program you're using.

The subject line gives it away:
http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/index.html

bittorent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Linus_Nordstr=F6m?= Python 0 04-11-2007 04:22 PM
some questions on how to study the bittorent. Moore Liu Python 1 07-08-2006 07:59 AM
bittorent download speed curiosity Shawn Computer Support 3 08-01-2005 12:46 PM
Port Forwarding (Bittorent) Mike Cisco 3 06-04-2004 06:52 PM
Bittorent Question ripper Computer Support 5 10-19-2003 04:59 PM

Advertisments