Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > HELP, don't know if driver update is properly installed

HELP, don't know if driver update is properly installed

richmac

Last evening I did some critical updates, which went fine. Then I started
the driver update for NIVIDIA software.

The first try didn't work, but the second started the download, which went
at normal download speed. (12 MB in under 2 minutes)

The installation, however, took over 3 hours. I watched the little squares
in the dialogue box fill up at about 12 minutes per square, but the cancel
button was greyed out, the task manager reported that the system was
performing update, and I didn't know what else to do except wait it out.

Finally all the squares were filled, but the dialogue stayed open.

I viewed installation history and found NIVIDIA installation "successful".
But if I review updates, the driver is still there on the "to install"
list, to be REMOVED.

When I try to close the dialogue window, warning that if I go to another
page installation would not complete appears. That was 4 hours ago,
installation dialogue is still open.

Please help. I don't dare to do anything now in case the system will crash.

OS Windows XP pro
Athlon 1.3GH
NIVIDIA GeForce4 MX440

Richard

Scrote

"richmac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Last evening I did some critical updates, which went fine. Then I

started
> the driver update for NIVIDIA software.
>
> The first try didn't work, but the second started the download, which

went
> at normal download speed. (12 MB in under 2 minutes)
>
> The installation, however, took over 3 hours. I watched the little

squares
> in the dialogue box fill up at about 12 minutes per square, but the

cancel
> button was greyed out, the task manager reported that the system was
> performing update, and I didn't know what else to do except wait it

out.

> Finally all the squares were filled, but the dialogue stayed open.
>
> I viewed installation history and found NIVIDIA installation

"successful".
> But if I review updates, the driver is still there on the "to

install"
> list, to be REMOVED.
>
> When I try to close the dialogue window, warning that if I go to

another
> page installation would not complete appears. That was 4 hours ago,
> installation dialogue is still open.
>
> Please help. I don't dare to do anything now in case the system will

crash.

> OS Windows XP pro
> Athlon 1.3GH
> NIVIDIA GeForce4 MX440
>

> Richard

Tony, who knows nothing, wrote

Nvidia now recommends you uninstall old driver before installing new
(don't know why the change). From my own experience 1.go to
http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp a get latest driver
and "Save" it. 2.Uninstall whatever driver(s) you have . 3.Reboot .
4.When sys "finds new hardware" point it at new driver. Hope This
helps

Semper in excrementum sum, solo profundus variat.......ish

richmac

Thanks. Just find it a bit hard to keep up with all these changes.
Anyway, the 3 hour installation seems to be good. Whew!!

"Scrote" <"""tonybroomathotmail.com.nospamatfukinall> 在郵件
news:(E-Mail Removed) 中撰寫...

> "richmac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Last evening I did some critical updates, which went fine. Then I

> started
> > the driver update for NIVIDIA software.
> >
> > The first try didn't work, but the second started the download, which

> went
> > at normal download speed. (12 MB in under 2 minutes)
> >
> > The installation, however, took over 3 hours. I watched the little

> squares
> > in the dialogue box fill up at about 12 minutes per square, but the

> cancel
> > button was greyed out, the task manager reported that the system was
> > performing update, and I didn't know what else to do except wait it

> out.
> >
> > Finally all the squares were filled, but the dialogue stayed open.
> >
> > I viewed installation history and found NIVIDIA installation

> "successful".
> > But if I review updates, the driver is still there on the "to

> install"
> > list, to be REMOVED.
> >
> > When I try to close the dialogue window, warning that if I go to

> another
> > page installation would not complete appears. That was 4 hours ago,
> > installation dialogue is still open.
> >
> > Please help. I don't dare to do anything now in case the system will

> crash.
> >

> > OS Windows XP pro
> > Athlon 1.3GH
> > NIVIDIA GeForce4 MX440
> >

> > Richard
> >

> Tony, who knows nothing, wrote
>
> Nvidia now recommends you uninstall old driver before installing new
> (don't know why the change). From my own experience 1.go to
> http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp a get latest driver
> and "Save" it. 2.Uninstall whatever driver(s) you have . 3.Reboot .
> 4.When sys "finds new hardware" point it at new driver. Hope This
> helps
>
> Semper in excrementum sum, solo profundus variat.......ish

richmac

Thanks, apparently there were 2 drivers installed, so I uninstalled both and
installed the update.
Took 2 minutes all told.
It's a matter of "to trust or not to trust...microsoft updates"...again.
Well, a lesson learned.

Rich

"Scrote" <"""tonybroomathotmail.com.nospamatfukinall> 在郵件
news:(E-Mail Removed) 中撰寫...

> "richmac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Last evening I did some critical updates, which went fine. Then I

> started
> > the driver update for NIVIDIA software.
> >
> > The first try didn't work, but the second started the download, which

> went
> > at normal download speed. (12 MB in under 2 minutes)
> >
> > The installation, however, took over 3 hours. I watched the little

> squares
> > in the dialogue box fill up at about 12 minutes per square, but the

> cancel
> > button was greyed out, the task manager reported that the system was
> > performing update, and I didn't know what else to do except wait it

> out.
> >
> > Finally all the squares were filled, but the dialogue stayed open.
> >
> > I viewed installation history and found NIVIDIA installation

> "successful".
> > But if I review updates, the driver is still there on the "to

> install"
> > list, to be REMOVED.
> >
> > When I try to close the dialogue window, warning that if I go to

> another
> > page installation would not complete appears. That was 4 hours ago,
> > installation dialogue is still open.
> >
> > Please help. I don't dare to do anything now in case the system will

> crash.
> >

> > OS Windows XP pro
> > Athlon 1.3GH
> > NIVIDIA GeForce4 MX440
> >

> > Richard
> >

> Tony, who knows nothing, wrote
>
> Nvidia now recommends you uninstall old driver before installing new
> (don't know why the change). From my own experience 1.go to
> http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp a get latest driver
> and "Save" it. 2.Uninstall whatever driver(s) you have . 3.Reboot .
> 4.When sys "finds new hardware" point it at new driver. Hope This
> helps
>
> Semper in excrementum sum, solo profundus variat.......ish

Scrote

Glad to help