Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > popups

popups

°Mike°

Presuming you are talking about Messenger pop-ups:

You should install a firewall, since the messenger service
uses ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
firewall.

To prevent the Messenger service from starting automatically,
open the Services panel by typing...

services.msc /s

....into the Start / Run box.
In the right-hand pane highlight 'Messenger'.
Right click and choose 'Properties'.
Click the 'Stop' button.
From the 'Startup Type' drop down, choose 'Disabled' or 'Manual'.
'Apply / Ok'.

More information:

Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet
Advertisement Appears

Windows Messages
http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger
Service
http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/m...erService.html

How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
XP-Based Computer

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...e/stopspam.asp

Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

Firewalls:
------------
Outpost

Sygate
http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

Zone Alarm
http://www.zonelabs.com/

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 07:51:07 -0800, in
<iMKvb.7135$m24.3456@fed1read02>
Sligo scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

William

Seamus wrote :" XP and outlook express and explorer, the pop ups are driving
me mad!
How do I stop or prevent?
Thank you,"
Seamus J. Wilson

William Replied : "Easy way is to install "Google Search Tool Bar" it has a
built-in "pop-up stopper"....It works very well !!!

Regards;
William

Take out the "Trash" to respond

Sligo

XP and outlook express and explorer, the pop ups are driving me mad!
How do I stop or prevent?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

Tina - AffordableHOST.com

Go to Google and get their toobar (enable the popup stopper). You'll be
happy you did.

--Tina
--
http://www.AffordableHOST.com