Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > medical question

medical question

DaveG

Can anyone settle a "disagreement"?
If you were to die in a RTA and you carried an organ donor card would
the vital or other organs still be of value in a medical sense.
If YES,for how long do the organs remain "good",ie-before they need to
be treated,removed,frozen or whatever???
Or do they cease to be useable to hospitals,surgeons etc immediately
you have died???????????
Thanks.

--
ATB-DaveG.

"I'm going to give you these pills. They use them for slowing down
sperm whales, so don't go operating no machinery or talking to the
human race for about a year and a half."

TRADESMAN

DaveG wrote:
> Can anyone settle a "disagreement"?
> If you were to die in a RTA and you carried an organ donor card would
> the vital or other organs still be of value in a medical sense.
> If YES,for how long do the organs remain "good",ie-before they need to
> be treated,removed,frozen or whatever???
> Or do they cease to be useable to hospitals,surgeons etc immediately
> you have died???????????
> Thanks.

It depends on whether the injuries damaged the organs.For instance, a
crushing chest injury is liable to render the heart/lungs unusable.
At the scene, emergency crews are likely to give CPR which preseves vital
organ function until the patient reaches Hospital.
Once there,the patient is hooked up to a heart/lung machine, and if death is
certified at a later stage(usually due to absent brain function) the organs
are harvested at leisure. The permission of relatives is always sought as
they are privy to the decision to turn off the heart/lung machine.

DaveG

"TRADESMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bpmj5a$1qdc74$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> DaveG wrote:
> > Can anyone settle a "disagreement"?
> > If you were to die in a RTA and you carried an organ donor card

would
> > the vital or other organs still be of value in a medical sense.
> > If YES,for how long do the organs remain "good",ie-before they

need to
> > be treated,removed,frozen or whatever???
> > Or do they cease to be useable to hospitals,surgeons etc

immediately
> > you have died???????????
> > Thanks.

> It depends on whether the injuries damaged the organs.For instance,

> crushing chest injury is liable to render the heart/lungs unusable.
> At the scene, emergency crews are likely to give CPR which

preseves vital
> organ function until the patient reaches Hospital.
> Once there,the patient is hooked up to a heart/lung machine, and if

death is
> certified at a later stage(usually due to absent brain function) the

organs
> are harvested at leisure. The permission of relatives is always

sought as
> they are privy to the decision to turn off the heart/lung machine.

So would it be correct to say that if you have been dead at the
roadside for up to half an hour and the organs are still intact and
"good" that said organs may still be preserved in the manner you
describe for later transplant

--

DaveG wrote:
> "TRADESMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bpmj5a$1qdc74$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>>

>> DaveG wrote:
>>> Can anyone settle a "disagreement"?
>>> If you were to die in a RTA and you carried an organ donor card
>>> would the vital or other organs still be of value in a medical
>>> sense. If YES,for how long do the organs remain "good",ie-before
>>> they need to be treated,removed,frozen or whatever???
>>> Or do they cease to be useable to hospitals,surgeons etc immediately
>>> you have died???????????
>>> Thanks.

>> It depends on whether the injuries damaged the organs.For instance, a
>> crushing chest injury is liable to render the heart/lungs unusable.
>> At the scene, emergency crews are likely to give CPR which
>> preseves vital organ function until the patient reaches Hospital.
>> Once there,the patient is hooked up to a heart/lung machine, and if
>> death is certified at a later stage(usually due to absent brain
>> function) the organs are harvested at leisure. The permission of
>> relatives is always sought as they are privy to the decision to turn
>> off the heart/lung machine.

> So would it be correct to say that if you have been dead at the
> roadside for up to half an hour and the organs are still intact and
> "good" that said organs may still be preserved in the manner you
> describe for later transplant
>

> Given that scenario, it is unlikely that major organs would be of any use.

Without an established circulation the body organs deteriorate very quickly,
and the patients own retained body heat contributes very much to the
process.
Certain"bits" such as Corneas may still be used as they are not as sensitive
to interupted circulation.
Also ,you must remember that when emergency crews arrive at an accident
scene they will not know the time of death and are likely to go into CPR
mode anyway.
Every case is considered on its own merits.

DaveG

"TRADESMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bpnfvs$1qlfbr$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> DaveG wrote:
> > "TRADESMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bpmj5a$1qdc74$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

immediately

> >> It depends on whether the injuries damaged the organs.For

instance, a
> >> crushing chest injury is liable to render the heart/lungs

unusable.
> >> At the scene, emergency crews are likely to give CPR which
> >> preseves vital organ function until the patient reaches Hospital.
> >> Once there,the patient is hooked up to a heart/lung machine, and

if
> >> death is certified at a later stage(usually due to absent brain
> >> function) the organs are harvested at leisure. The permission of
> >> relatives is always sought as they are privy to the decision to

turn
> >> off the heart/lung machine.

> > So would it be correct to say that if you have been dead at the
> > roadside for up to half an hour and the organs are still intact

and
> > "good" that said organs may still be preserved in the manner you
> > describe for later transplant
> >

> > Given that scenario, it is unlikely that major organs would be of

any use.
> Without an established circulation the body organs deteriorate very

quickly,
> and the patients own retained body heat contributes very much to the
> process.
> Certain"bits" such as Corneas may still be used as they are not as

sensitive
> to interupted circulation.
> Also ,you must remember that when emergency crews arrive at an

accident
> scene they will not know the time of death and are likely to go into

CPR
> mode anyway.
> Every case is considered on its own merits.

Thanks for your replies.
One last if you will.
When CPR is applied the heartbeat is restored and breathing is
restored, yes?
And so under these conditions if they are right,vital organs may later
be saved,but what of the brain?
Presumably if you have died the heart,lungs,vital organs can continue
to function without a "living" brain??
Something akin to comatose?

--

DaveG wrote:
> "TRADESMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bpnfvs$1qlfbr$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>>

>> DaveG wrote:
>>> "TRADESMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:bpmj5a$1qdc74$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

>>> So would it be correct to say that if you have been dead at the
>>> roadside for up to half an hour and the organs are still intact and
>>> "good" that said organs may still be preserved in the manner you
>>> describe for later transplant
>>>

>>> Given that scenario, it is unlikely that major organs would be of

> any use.
>> Without an established circulation the body organs deteriorate very
>> quickly, and the patients own retained body heat contributes very
>> much to the process.
>> Certain"bits" such as Corneas may still be used as they are not as
>> sensitive to interupted circulation.
>> Also ,you must remember that when emergency crews arrive at an
>> accident scene they will not know the time of death and are likely
>> to go into CPR mode anyway.
>> Every case is considered on its own merits.

> Thanks for your replies.
> One last if you will.
> When CPR is applied the heartbeat is restored and breathing is
> restored, yes?
> And so under these conditions if they are right,vital organs may later
> be saved,but what of the brain?
> Presumably if you have died the heart,lungs,vital organs can continue
> to function without a "living" brain??
> Something akin to comatose?

Not quite sure what you mean, but without an established circulation the
brain is damaged beyond repair within 3 or 4 minutes. Brain function(or lack
of it!) has no bearing on ciculation. Thus it is possible for the whole of
the cranium to be crushed and the patient will still breathe and the heart
will continue to beat.
Provided the blood supply is re- established PDQ, an absent brain does not
affect outcome.

--
As some newsgroup members have no doubt found

Scrote

"TRADESMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bpnipr$1pi3t0$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> DaveG wrote:
> > "TRADESMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bpnfvs$1qlfbr$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

sought

and

> > any use.
> >> Without an established circulation the body organs deteriorate very
> >> quickly, and the patients own retained body heat contributes very
> >> much to the process.
> >> Certain"bits" such as Corneas may still be used as they are not as
> >> sensitive to interupted circulation.
> >> Also ,you must remember that when emergency crews arrive at an
> >> accident scene they will not know the time of death and are likely
> >> to go into CPR mode anyway.
> >> Every case is considered on its own merits.

> > Thanks for your replies.
> > One last if you will.
> > When CPR is applied the heartbeat is restored and breathing is
> > restored, yes?
> > And so under these conditions if they are right,vital organs may

later
> > be saved,but what of the brain?
> > Presumably if you have died the heart,lungs,vital organs can

continue
> > to function without a "living" brain??
> > Something akin to comatose?
> >

> Not quite sure what you mean, but without an established circulation

the
> brain is damaged beyond repair within 3 or 4 minutes. Brain

function(or lack
> of it!) has no bearing on ciculation. Thus it is possible for the

whole of
> the cranium to be crushed and the patient will still breathe and the

heart
> will continue to beat.
> Provided the blood supply is re- established PDQ, an absent brain does

not
> affect outcome.
>
> --
> As some newsgroup members have no doubt found

Mitch

In article <bpngob$bip$(E-Mail Removed)>, DaveG
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> When CPR is applied the heartbeat is restored and breathing is
> restored, yes?

Not in the way that you seem to be aiming.
CPR is simply a way to continue some circulation and breathing so that
the body may survive during those minutes.
The steps of CPR themselves are not alone sufficient to revive heart
and lung activity; the body has to help itself.

What I mean is, CPR alone is not much of a substitute, nor enough to
revive a body. The body has to be capable of returning to these
functions on it's own.

DaveG

"Mitch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:221120031843173629%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <bpngob$bip$(E-Mail Removed)>, DaveG
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > When CPR is applied the heartbeat is restored and breathing is
> > restored, yes?

> Not in the way that you seem to be aiming.
> CPR is simply a way to continue some circulation and breathing so

that
> the body may survive during those minutes.
> The steps of CPR themselves are not alone sufficient to revive heart
> and lung activity; the body has to help itself.
>
> What I mean is, CPR alone is not much of a substitute, nor enough to
> revive a body. The body has to be capable of returning to these
> functions on it's own.

Cheers,that's a little clearer for me

ATB-DG.