Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > PC wont start

PC wont start

anOLDun

Hi folks

Need your expertise again.

Wife's PC worked fine this morning. Then i shut it down un-plugged it and
moved all the hardware upstairs.

Re connected all the cables............ turned the PC back on and
..........NOTHING.......cept for a a meesage that says something like

" Windows has succesfully loaded the display adapter - if you want to use
this display open up control panel go to display and change the settings"

I can hear the PC whirring and clicking away but nothing else
happens,although I did once get a message that said "please check video
cable"

Tried to boot-up from floppy still nothing - have checked the cables and
they all see fine

ANY ideas what else i can try?

many thanks

D ( an Oldun soon to be a deadun if i dont get it fixed )

Bill Riggs

Sounds like your video card has came loose or shifted. I would suggest you
pop the case open, take out, then reseat all the cards, esp the video card.
While you are at it, you can reseat the memory chips also.

"anOLDun" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bpl5eh$k4b$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi folks
>
> Need your expertise again.
>
> Wife's PC worked fine this morning. Then i shut it down un-plugged it and
> moved all the hardware upstairs.
>
> Re connected all the cables............ turned the PC back on and
> .........NOTHING.......cept for a a meesage that says something like
>
> " Windows has succesfully loaded the display adapter - if you want to use
> this display open up control panel go to display and change the settings"
>
> I can hear the PC whirring and clicking away but nothing else
> happens,although I did once get a message that said "please check video
> cable"
>
> Tried to boot-up from floppy still nothing - have checked the cables and
> they all see fine
>
> ANY ideas what else i can try?
>
> many thanks
>
> D ( an Oldun soon to be a deadun if i dont get it fixed )

SgtMinor

You may have bent one or more pins in the video cable contacts when you
removed it and plugged it back in.

anOLDun wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> Need your expertise again.
>
> Wife's PC worked fine this morning. Then i shut it down un-plugged it and
> moved all the hardware upstairs.
>
> Re connected all the cables............ turned the PC back on and
> .........NOTHING.......cept for a a meesage that says something like
>
> " Windows has succesfully loaded the display adapter - if you want to use
> this display open up control panel go to display and change the settings"
>
> I can hear the PC whirring and clicking away but nothing else
> happens,although I did once get a message that said "please check video
> cable"
>
> Tried to boot-up from floppy still nothing - have checked the cables and
> they all see fine
>
> ANY ideas what else i can try?
>
> many thanks
>
> D ( an Oldun soon to be a deadun if i dont get it fixed )

anOLDun

Hi again -

Thanks for the advice

Bill -

there doesn't appear to be a video card - not being a tekkie i could be
wrong of course - i can see the "green" cards for other things but where
the cable goes into the PC it is some kind of "box".....???

SgtMinor-

You were right one of the pins was bent and i have straightened it up.

However.......

NOW I get a message " check video cable" BEFORE i boot-up up the PC - when i
do boot-up the PC is whirring and clicking away BUT the "video cable"
message remains on view and nothing else happens

Now what have i done?

Thanks

D ( suitcase now packed and she <who THINKS she is in charge> is due home
any minute) and i am NOT panicking no sir not me

"anOLDun" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bpl5eh$k4b$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi folks
>
> Need your expertise again.
>
> Wife's PC worked fine this morning. Then i shut it down un-plugged it and
> moved all the hardware upstairs.
>
> Re connected all the cables............ turned the PC back on and
> .........NOTHING.......cept for a a meesage that says something like
>
> " Windows has succesfully loaded the display adapter - if you want to use
> this display open up control panel go to display and change the settings"
>
> I can hear the PC whirring and clicking away but nothing else
> happens,although I did once get a message that said "please check video
> cable"
>
> Tried to boot-up from floppy still nothing - have checked the cables and
> they all see fine
>
> ANY ideas what else i can try?
>
> many thanks
>
> D ( an Oldun soon to be a deadun if i dont get it fixed )

SgtMinor

Your system probably has 'on-board' video, meaning the function is built
in to the motherboard. The "check video cable' is a normal one when the
monitor is turned on and receives no video from the computer.

Take a look in Control panel > System > Device Manager and see if there
are any problems listed. Also, while in Control Panel, take a look
under Display to see if the proper settings show up.

You might also check out the BIOS on start-up and look at video settings
there.

And, since it seems that you have opened the case, try a new battery in
the mobo. If it's bad, your system may lose CMOS settings and revert to
the default setup.

anOLDun wrote:

> Hi again -
>
> Thanks for the advice
>
> Bill -
>
> there doesn't appear to be a video card - not being a tekkie i could be
> wrong of course - i can see the "green" cards for other things but where
> the cable goes into the PC it is some kind of "box".....???
>
> SgtMinor-
>
> You were right one of the pins was bent and i have straightened it up.
>
> However.......
>
> NOW I get a message " check video cable" BEFORE i boot-up up the PC - when i
> do boot-up the PC is whirring and clicking away BUT the "video cable"
> message remains on view and nothing else happens
>
> Now what have i done?
>
> Thanks
>
> D ( suitcase now packed and she <who THINKS she is in charge> is due home
> any minute) and i am NOT panicking no sir not me
>
> "anOLDun" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bpl5eh$k4b$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi folks
> >
> > Need your expertise again.
> >
> > Wife's PC worked fine this morning. Then i shut it down un-plugged it and
> > moved all the hardware upstairs.
> >
> > Re connected all the cables............ turned the PC back on and
> > .........NOTHING.......cept for a a meesage that says something like
> >
> > " Windows has succesfully loaded the display adapter - if you want to use
> > this display open up control panel go to display and change the settings"
> >
> > I can hear the PC whirring and clicking away but nothing else
> > happens,although I did once get a message that said "please check video
> > cable"
> >
> > Tried to boot-up from floppy still nothing - have checked the cables and
> > they all see fine
> >
> > ANY ideas what else i can try?
> >
> > many thanks
> >
> > D ( an Oldun soon to be a deadun if i dont get it fixed )

anOLDun

Hi Sgt

Many thanks for the reply ........

In another post Mike told me off for not providing basic info with me
"query" seems i am also guilty here as well, so firstly I must apologise.

My wife's pc OS is winME.

The PC is stand alone - i.e it is NOT networked.

When the monitor it turned on the video card message is there - when i then
boot up the pc this message remains and the pc whirs and blleps away as if
the "desktop" is being loaded BUT if it is we still don't see it just the
message.

I can't check in "control panel" the pc doesn't get that far, Other than the
"video card" message nothing else happens.

I hope i have outlined more fully the prob.

regards

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

anOLDun wrote:

> Hi Sgt
>
> Many thanks for the reply ........
>
> In another post Mike told me off for not providing basic info with me
> "query" seems i am also guilty here as well, so firstly I must apologise.
>
> My wife's pc OS is winME.
>
> The PC is stand alone - i.e it is NOT networked.
>
> When the monitor it turned on the video card message is there - when i then
> boot up the pc this message remains and the pc whirs and blleps away as if
> the "desktop" is being loaded BUT if it is we still don't see it just the
> message.
>
> I can't check in "control panel" the pc doesn't get that far, Other than the
> "video card" message nothing else happens.
>
> I hope i have outlined more fully the prob.
>
> regards

> "SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > Your system probably has 'on-board' video, meaning the function is built
> > in to the motherboard. The "check video cable' is a normal one when the
> > monitor is turned on and receives no video from the computer.
> >
> > Take a look in Control panel > System > Device Manager and see if there
> > are any problems listed. Also, while in Control Panel, take a look
> > under Display to see if the proper settings show up.
> >
> > You might also check out the BIOS on start-up and look at video settings
> > there.
> >
> > And, since it seems that you have opened the case, try a new battery in
> > the mobo. If it's bad, your system may lose CMOS settings and revert to
> > the default setup.
> >
> > anOLDun wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi again -
> > >
> > > Thanks for the advice
> > >
> > > Bill -
> > >
> > > there doesn't appear to be a video card - not being a tekkie i could be
> > > wrong of course - i can see the "green" cards for other things but

> where
> > > the cable goes into the PC it is some kind of "box".....???
> > >
> > > SgtMinor-
> > >
> > > You were right one of the pins was bent and i have straightened it up.
> > >
> > > However.......
> > >
> > > NOW I get a message " check video cable" BEFORE i boot-up up the PC -

> when i
> > > do boot-up the PC is whirring and clicking away BUT the "video cable"
> > > message remains on view and nothing else happens
> > >
> > > Now what have i done?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > D ( suitcase now packed and she <who THINKS she is in charge> is due

> home
> > > any minute) and i am NOT panicking no sir not me
> > >
> > > "anOLDun" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:bpl5eh$k4b$(E-Mail Removed)...

> and

> use

> settings"

> video

> and

The "check video cable" message is generated by the monitor itself, and
suggests that it is still functioning. This would suggest that either
the on-board video is messed up, or the video cable is damaged. If the
cable disconnects from the monitor, try a different cable. If it
doesn't, try 'massaging' it a bit once the computer has booted up. If
there's a short or break in one of the wires inside the cable, you can
sometimes make it work by straightening out bends, or by pushing the
cable together, if you know what I mean. This will not fix the cable
but you will have pinpointed the problem. Have you tried swapping
monitors with the computer you're using now?