Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > really really mysterious IE6 problem--secure site

really really mysterious IE6 problem--secure site

ultraviolet353

I do my banking online with Bank of America. I can access my account
info, pay bills, etc. I have used it for a year with no problem.
With the online banking is a part of the site called BillPay. I
started using it and it worked fine. Then, about a month ago,when
trying to access the BilPay portion of the site, I got an IE DNS error
page (the one where it says "cannot display page /cannot find server
or DNS error--check your security settings.."). Anyway, since then I
have not been able to access the BillPay part of the site at all. I
can acces every thing else on the Bank of America site (account info,
and other secure pages on the site, but not the BillPay). Mind you,
every part of the Bank of America site is secure so it is weird that I
cannot access certain pages but not others. I have checked the
security settings of IE and all my settings are at the default setting
which enabled me to access the BillPay before. I called Bank of
America and they said it was an ISP issue. I called my cable company
(i have a cable modem) and they said there was nothing they could do.
What is even more curious is that when I go to my dad's house and use
his computer I am able to login to the Bank of America site with my
username and able to access the Bill Pay page. I have tried using
other browsers, but I still cannot access Bill Pay on my system. I
use XP Home SP1 with IE6. Other browswers won't work either. I have
cleared my cache, my history, my windows temp files, everything I can
think of. Any ideas; is it my ISP, my browser?

trout

ultraviolet353 wrote:

> I do my banking online with Bank of America. I can access my account
> info, pay bills, etc. I have used it for a year with no problem.
> With the online banking is a part of the site called BillPay. I
> started using it and it worked fine. Then, about a month ago,when
> trying to access the BilPay portion of the site, I got an IE DNS error
> page (the one where it says "cannot display page /cannot find server
> or DNS error--check your security settings.."). Anyway, since then I
> have not been able to access the BillPay part of the site at all. I
> can acces every thing else on the Bank of America site (account info,
> and other secure pages on the site, but not the BillPay). Mind you,
> every part of the Bank of America site is secure so it is weird that I
> cannot access certain pages but not others. I have checked the
> security settings of IE and all my settings are at the default setting
> which enabled me to access the BillPay before. I called Bank of
> America and they said it was an ISP issue. I called my cable company
> (i have a cable modem) and they said there was nothing they could do.
> What is even more curious is that when I go to my dad's house and use
> his computer I am able to login to the Bank of America site with my
> username and able to access the Bill Pay page. I have tried using
> other browsers, but I still cannot access Bill Pay on my system. I
> use XP Home SP1 with IE6. Other browswers won't work either. I have
> cleared my cache, my history, my windows temp files, everything I can
> think of. Any ideas; is it my ISP, my browser?

It *could* be that you have a corrupted cookie from there. You may
have to delete their cookie(s), and start again at the site.
--
"Unfortunately; you'd of course have to re-enter any 'saved' information
there, like passwords and account numbers."

A.C.

Not sure of the actual 'fix', but same thing happened to a friend of mine.
A system restore back to the last available date that he knew it worked did
the trick.
Last resort, I guess...

"ultraviolet353" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I do my banking online with Bank of America. I can access my account
> info, pay bills, etc. I have used it for a year with no problem.
> With the online banking is a part of the site called BillPay. I
> started using it and it worked fine. Then, about a month ago,when
> trying to access the BilPay portion of the site, I got an IE DNS error
> page (the one where it says "cannot display page /cannot find server
> or DNS error--check your security settings.."). Anyway, since then I
> have not been able to access the BillPay part of the site at all. I
> can acces every thing else on the Bank of America site (account info,
> and other secure pages on the site, but not the BillPay). Mind you,
> every part of the Bank of America site is secure so it is weird that I
> cannot access certain pages but not others. I have checked the
> security settings of IE and all my settings are at the default setting
> which enabled me to access the BillPay before. I called Bank of
> America and they said it was an ISP issue. I called my cable company
> (i have a cable modem) and they said there was nothing they could do.
> What is even more curious is that when I go to my dad's house and use
> his computer I am able to login to the Bank of America site with my
> username and able to access the Bill Pay page. I have tried using
> other browsers, but I still cannot access Bill Pay on my system. I
> use XP Home SP1 with IE6. Other browswers won't work either. I have
> cleared my cache, my history, my windows temp files, everything I can
> think of. Any ideas; is it my ISP, my browser?

DH

Sounds like your bank may have updated their encryption capabilities. Most
require 128-bit encryption, and you'll get the message you're getting when
you try to access the site. Start Internet Explorer.....click on HELP, then
ABOUT INTERNET EXPLORER. You should see your encryption level in the scroll
window. Call your bank and see what encryption level is required. It's
simple to update if needed.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (ultraviolet353) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> I do my banking online with Bank of America. I can access my account
> info, pay bills, etc. I have used it for a year with no problem.
> With the online banking is a part of the site called BillPay. I
> started using it and it worked fine. Then, about a month ago,when
> trying to access the BilPay portion of the site, I got an IE DNS error
> page (the one where it says "cannot display page /cannot find server
> or DNS error--check your security settings.."). Anyway, since then I
> have not been able to access the BillPay part of the site at all. I
> can acces every thing else on the Bank of America site (account info,
> and other secure pages on the site, but not the BillPay). Mind you,
> every part of the Bank of America site is secure so it is weird that I
> cannot access certain pages but not others. I have checked the
> security settings of IE and all my settings are at the default setting
> which enabled me to access the BillPay before. I called Bank of
> America and they said it was an ISP issue. I called my cable company
> (i have a cable modem) and they said there was nothing they could do.
> What is even more curious is that when I go to my dad's house and use
> his computer I am able to login to the Bank of America site with my
> username and able to access the Bill Pay page. I have tried using
> other browsers, but I still cannot access Bill Pay on my system. I
> use XP Home SP1 with IE6. Other browswers won't work either. I have
> cleared my cache, my history, my windows temp files, everything I can
> think of. Any ideas; is it my ISP, my browser?

unfortunately, none of the above worked,,a ny other ideas--could it be my ISP?

trout

ultraviolet353 wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) (ultraviolet353) wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
>> I do my banking online with Bank of America. I can access my account
>> info, pay bills, etc. I have used it for a year with no problem.
>> With the online banking is a part of the site called BillPay. I
>> started using it and it worked fine. Then, about a month ago,when
>> trying to access the BilPay portion of the site, I got an IE DNS
>> error
>> page (the one where it says "cannot display page /cannot find server
>> or DNS error--check your security settings.."). Anyway, since then I
>> have not been able to access the BillPay part of the site at all. I
>> can acces every thing else on the Bank of America site (account info,
>> and other secure pages on the site, but not the BillPay). Mind you,
>> every part of the Bank of America site is secure so it is weird that
>> cannot access certain pages but not others. I have checked the
>> security settings of IE and all my settings are at the default
>> setting
>> which enabled me to access the BillPay before. I called Bank of
>> America and they said it was an ISP issue. I called my cable company
>> (i have a cable modem) and they said there was nothing they could do.
>> What is even more curious is that when I go to my dad's house and use
>> his computer I am able to login to the Bank of America site with my
>> username and able to access the Bill Pay page. I have tried using
>> other browsers, but I still cannot access Bill Pay on my system. I
>> use XP Home SP1 with IE6. Other browswers won't work either. I have
>> cleared my cache, my history, my windows temp files, everything I can
>> think of. Any ideas; is it my ISP, my browser?

> unfortunately, none of the above worked,,a ny other ideas--could it
> be my ISP?

The Microsoft Knowledge Base suggests that it could also be a
corrupted User Profile. See:
http://tinyurl.com/owwn
--
"Good luck."

Elaine Hirst

have you tried unchecking and rechecking the SSL 1 & 2 boxes in the security
section. I could not get into secure server sites and this worked for me.
news:bpjktj$1ovnjf$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> ultraviolet353 wrote:
>
> > (E-Mail Removed) (ultraviolet353) wrote in message
> > news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> >> I do my banking online with Bank of America. I can access my account
> >> info, pay bills, etc. I have used it for a year with no problem.
> >> With the online banking is a part of the site called BillPay. I
> >> started using it and it worked fine. Then, about a month ago,when
> >> trying to access the BilPay portion of the site, I got an IE DNS
> >> error
> >> page (the one where it says "cannot display page /cannot find server
> >> or DNS error--check your security settings.."). Anyway, since then I
> >> have not been able to access the BillPay part of the site at all. I
> >> can acces every thing else on the Bank of America site (account info,
> >> and other secure pages on the site, but not the BillPay). Mind you,
> >> every part of the Bank of America site is secure so it is weird that
> >> cannot access certain pages but not others. I have checked the
> >> security settings of IE and all my settings are at the default
> >> setting
> >> which enabled me to access the BillPay before. I called Bank of
> >> America and they said it was an ISP issue. I called my cable company
> >> (i have a cable modem) and they said there was nothing they could do.
> >> What is even more curious is that when I go to my dad's house and use
> >> his computer I am able to login to the Bank of America site with my
> >> username and able to access the Bill Pay page. I have tried using
> >> other browsers, but I still cannot access Bill Pay on my system. I
> >> use XP Home SP1 with IE6. Other browswers won't work either. I have
> >> cleared my cache, my history, my windows temp files, everything I can
> >> think of. Any ideas; is it my ISP, my browser?

> > unfortunately, none of the above worked,,a ny other ideas--could it
> > be my ISP?

> The Microsoft Knowledge Base suggests that it could also be a
> corrupted User Profile. See:
> http://tinyurl.com/owwn
> --
> "Good luck."

Boomer

"Elaine Hirst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
newsXOvb.2213$(E-Mail Removed):

> have you tried unchecking and rechecking the SSL 1 & 2 boxes in
> the security section. I could not get into secure server sites
> and this worked for me.

Maybe you should reply to the correct person? Why are you telling this
to trout? ultraviolet353 was the one with the question.

Highlight the person's message you wish to reply to.
Right click. Click on "Reply Group" icon.

--

24 hours in a day... 24 beers in a case... 24H... coincidence?