Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Reformat and Reinstall

Reformat and Reinstall

luvtogofast

I am looking for some advice on reformatting a hard drive that is
currently running Windows 98, and reinstalling Windows ME.

My co-worker is having problems with her PC. It is a 233 MHz pentium
running 98 and she dosent have a copy of 98 for some reason, so she
purchased a full install of windows ME.

I belive I have to make a boot disk from 98 and start with the disk
and choose run with cd- rom support and then format and install ME. I
know there is a little more to it but my concern is will I need a
windows 98 disk at all?

Boomer

luvtogofast <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I am looking for some advice on reformatting a hard drive that is
> currently running Windows 98, and reinstalling Windows ME.
>
> My co-worker is having problems with her PC. It is a 233 MHz
> pentium running 98 and she dosent have a copy of 98 for some
> reason, so she purchased a full install of windows ME.
>
> I belive I have to make a boot disk from 98 and start with the
> disk and choose run with cd- rom support and then format and
> install ME. I know there is a little more to it but my concern is
> will I need a windows 98 disk at all?

I would suggest cleaning up 98 and not installing ME.

Harrison

If the ME is a full version and not an upgrade, no 98 cd is required.
The full install ME should come with a boot disk, but the 98 boot disk
will do as well.
Boot to the disk and run setup.exe on the cd.

You may want to make sure you have hardware drivers on hand before you
start.

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:01:32 -0500, luvtogofast
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am looking for some advice on reformatting a hard drive that is
>currently running Windows 98, and reinstalling Windows ME.
>
>My co-worker is having problems with her PC. It is a 233 MHz pentium
>running 98 and she dosent have a copy of 98 for some reason, so she
>purchased a full install of windows ME.
>
>I belive I have to make a boot disk from 98 and start with the disk
>and choose run with cd- rom support and then format and install ME. I
>know there is a little more to it but my concern is will I need a
>windows 98 disk at all?

Patrick

luvtogofast wrote:
> I am looking for some advice on reformatting a hard drive that is
> currently running Windows 98, and reinstalling Windows ME.
>
> My co-worker is having problems with her PC. It is a 233 MHz pentium
> running 98 and she dosent have a copy of 98 for some reason, so she
> purchased a full install of windows ME.
>
> I belive I have to make a boot disk from 98 and start with the disk
> and choose run with cd- rom support and then format and install ME. I
> know there is a little more to it but my concern is will I need a
> windows 98 disk at all?

Bootdisc utilitys for any Windows version can be downloaded from link below.
(scroll down to Win ME).
Note; the file you download (to your Desktop) will be an executable-file,
put formatted-floppy in floppy-drive, run the program (double-click it),
follow instructions.

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

luvtogofast

Is it possible to back up the drivers from the computer before I
format? If so, how?

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 23:15:34 -0500, Harrison
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If the ME is a full version and not an upgrade, no 98 cd is required.
>The full install ME should come with a boot disk, but the 98 boot disk
>will do as well.
>Boot to the disk and run setup.exe on the cd.
>
>You may want to make sure you have hardware drivers on hand before you
>start.
>
>On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:01:32 -0500, luvtogofast
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I am looking for some advice on reformatting a hard drive that is
>>currently running Windows 98, and reinstalling Windows ME.
>>
>>My co-worker is having problems with her PC. It is a 233 MHz pentium
>>running 98 and she dosent have a copy of 98 for some reason, so she
>>purchased a full install of windows ME.
>>
>>I belive I have to make a boot disk from 98 and start with the disk
>>and choose run with cd- rom support and then format and install ME. I
>>know there is a little more to it but my concern is will I need a
>>windows 98 disk at all?

M Mullen

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 10:13:31 -0500, luvtogofast <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

|> Is it possible to back up the drivers from the computer before I
|> format? If so, how?

No it's not feasible.

--
,,
( "> w

-= Hawk =-

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 00:20:21 -0800, M Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)>
scribbled:

>On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 10:13:31 -0500, luvtogofast <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>|> Is it possible to back up the drivers from the computer before I
>|> format? If so, how?
>
>No it's not feasible.

You mean he couldn't download them, burn them to CD
and then reformat and reinstall?

Riddles II, v3
- T. Pratchett

M Mullen

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 08:30:29 GMT, -= Hawk =- <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

|> >No it's not feasible.
|>
|> You mean he couldn't download them, burn them to CD
|> and then reformat and reinstall?

Oh sure that's what I do.

The answer to his question is yes, but you need to grab all drivers for that
device, all of the registry entries, then create an install program for them,,,
Not feasible.
--
,,
( "> w
,(> )>| I want to die like my grandpa,
( ^^ ' not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

Barry OGrady

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 00:25:58 -0800, M Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>|> You mean he couldn't download them, burn them to CD
>|> and then reformat and reinstall?
>
>Oh sure that's what I do.
>
>The answer to his question is yes, but you need to grab all drivers for that
>device, all of the registry entries, then create an install program for them,,,
>Not feasible.

I read somewhere that you can backup all the files in the window\inf directory and
refer to them when reinstalling.

>--

-Barry
========