Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can computer or Internet interfere with other peoples TV reception (channel 5)?

Can computer or Internet interfere with other peoples TV reception (channel 5)?

Barry OGrady

> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:56:08 +0000, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>A very grumpy old fella across from me came over and stated that when
>I put my computer on - it ruins his reception on channel 5.....?
>I have no 'technical knowledge' to wholly refute this and I feel that
>I need to offer him proof...either way with this. In fact channel 5 is
>always difficult to pick up or get a good picture around here.
>So, does anyone know if computers or internet will affect TV
>reception? (Area = Bircotes/Harworth, Doncaster.
>Thanks for any speedy advice.

Channel 5 is 107 Mhz which is also part of the FM broadcast band.

-Barry
========

BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ

Thund3rstruck wrote:

>>>Tell him to contact the TV Interference people who will investigate
>>>for him. Either way, it's probably his cheap equipment and not
>>>yours.

>>I think you're right... but here's an interesting thing.....
>>According to the FCC's setup for broadcast TV signals:
>>Chnl 5 ---- 76-82 Mhz
>>Sooo.... Unless theres some equipment throwing off REALLY strong
>>signals in that range, and to be frank, I can't think of anything
>>offhand... Yeah, its more than likely the old fart's prob to solve.
>>Now, there IS a possibility the system is creating the signal
>>somehow and throwing it backwards into the power line. Again, that's
>>more than likely a sensitivity problem on the old fart's part to
>>solve.
>>Maybe a power filter (UPS, PowerStrip) might be worth investing in
>>as a good faith offer. If that doesn't work, he can always have the
>>FCC come down and sniff the air for stray RFI.

> Problem is, the OP is in England. <G>

(BLINK!!!) D`OH!! I guess I didn't hear the accent. (Smirk) Yeah,
somehow "Doncaster" doesn't sounds American, now that I double check.

> But you're basically correct, except the freqs may be different...

Yeah, dif freqs (Didn't look them up), but should still be on the O.F.'s
side to fix.

(E-Mail Removed)
BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
(BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)