Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > disabling programs at startup

disabling programs at startup

horizon

Hi,

I am trying to stop certain programs loading at win startup.
I have tried with msconfig in the startup tab,,,however on reboot and reload
win they are still loading %^*%&^*$%$!!!...

Is there a sure fire way to stop programs loading at startup e.g. registry
or some other program that does it permanently!

thanks for any help

°Mike°

The only way you should stop a program from loading
at startup, is from it's own 'Preferences' or 'Options'.

As you have found out, msconfig does not always work.
It is, in fact, only a diagnostic program.

What particular programs are you trying to prevent?

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 18:09:19 -0000, in
<bp8egr$1jr4oj$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
horizon scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

horizon

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The only way you should stop a program from loading
> at startup, is from it's own 'Preferences' or 'Options'.
>
> As you have found out, msconfig does not always work.
> It is, in fact, only a diagnostic program.
>
> What particular programs are you trying to prevent?

hi,

the others have stopped loading, they do have the option like you say from
their own program. However this one: Ensoniq mixer whose program is
starter.exe it puts an icon on the taskbar for audio properties etc. IF
uncheck in msconfig it still loads...

any ideas?

thx

horizon

"horizon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bp8f7l$1ld1n5$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> hi,
>
> the others have stopped loading, they do have the option like you say from
> their own program. However this one: Ensoniq mixer whose program is
> starter.exe it puts an icon on the taskbar for audio properties etc. IF
> uncheck in msconfig it still loads...
>
> any ideas?
>
> thx

actually this is a stubborn little one!....i noticed that when i unchecked
it in msconfig, then after reboot check msconfig it has made a new entry for
itself checked and the old one is unchecked,,,uncheck again and on reboot
there is 2 old unchecked and a new checked!...omg

thx

°Mike°

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 18:23:33 -0000, in
<bp8fbh$1m0o34$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
horizon scrawled:

>"horizon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:bp8f7l$1ld1n5$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>> >

>> hi,
>>
>> the others have stopped loading, they do have the option like you say from
>> their own program. However this one: Ensoniq mixer whose program is
>> starter.exe it puts an icon on the taskbar for audio properties etc. IF
>> uncheck in msconfig it still loads...
>>
>> any ideas?
>>
>> thx
>>

>actually this is a stubborn little one!....i noticed that when i unchecked
>it in msconfig, then after reboot check msconfig it has made a new entry for
>itself checked and the old one is unchecked,,,uncheck again and on reboot
>there is 2 old unchecked and a new checked!...omg
>

>thx

Check the following places:

1. Config.sys

2. Autoexec.bat

3. Check for the existence of a winstart.bat file.

4. The Startup folder (Start / Programs / Startup).

5. The RUN= and LOAD= line in win.ini .

6. End the particular application *before* rebooting.

7. The Task Scheduler.

8. The Registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunServices
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunServicesOnce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunOnce\Setup

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\RunOnce

9. Remember that some applications can load secondary programs
or processes at startup.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Patrick

horizon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to stop certain programs loading at win startup.
> I have tried with msconfig in the startup tab,,,however on reboot and
> reload win they are still loading %^*%&^*$%$!!!...
>
> Is there a sure fire way to stop programs loading at startup e.g.
> registry or some other program that does it permanently!
>
> thanks for any help

Found this,

http://www.techsupportforum.com/comp...ic/7117-1.html

<quote>
Posted by: JoeyL

With my creative sb 128 you disable it through device manager. There's a tab
on one of the sound card screens. I don't know if the same option exists on
the newer live or audigy cards though.
Joe.
<unquote>

horizon

Patrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Found this,
>
> http://www.techsupportforum.com/comp...ic/7117-1.html
>
> <quote>
> Posted by: JoeyL
>
> With my creative sb 128 you disable it through device manager. There's a

tab
> on one of the sound card screens. I don't know if the same option exists

on
> the newer live or audigy cards though.
> Joe.
> <unquote>

Thanks for that link! I fixed it. It is in the device manager properties for
the soundcard. However even then I had to reboot and uncheck a few times,
now it seems gone permanently at last!.

Seems this problem is not just for me....LOL that guys quote is spot on : I
guess ensoniq tecs didn't have their best day programming that driver.

Patrick

horizon wrote:
> Patrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> Found this,
>>
>> http://www.techsupportforum.com/comp...ic/7117-1.html
>>
>> <quote>
>> Posted by: JoeyL
>>
>> With my creative sb 128 you disable it through device manager.
>> There's a tab on one of the sound card screens. I don't know if the
>> same option exists on the newer live or audigy cards though.
>> Joe.
>> <unquote>
>>

> Thanks for that link! I fixed it. It is in the device manager
> properties for the soundcard. However even then I had to reboot and
> uncheck a few times, now it seems gone permanently at last!.
>
> Seems this problem is not just for me....LOL that guys quote is spot
> on : I guess ensoniq tecs didn't have their best day programming that
> driver.

Right !! Jolly good,
Glad you've come to grips with the problem.

Neil Touchet

Along these same lines:

How do I remove an entry from msconfig (startup)
after the referenced program has been deleted from the system?

This one is driving me bonkers.

Neil

"horizon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bp8egr$1jr4oj$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to stop certain programs loading at win startup.
> I have tried with msconfig in the startup tab,,,however on reboot and

reload
> win they are still loading %^*%&^*$%$!!!...
>
> Is there a sure fire way to stop programs loading at startup e.g. registry
> or some other program that does it permanently!
>
> thanks for any help

°Mike°

Startup Control Panel
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml