Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Any other player except Quicktime for *.mov files

Any other player except Quicktime for *.mov files

*** HAWK

Are they any other media players that can play *.mov files - I know Apple's
Quicktime does but I really hate that software - does anyone know of any
other program that is compatible with *.mov movie files.

TIA

chuckieŽ

Supposedly Irfanview will, although, I haven't tried it. Free download, check Google for URL...

"*** HAWK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fb7aff2$0$22606$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Are they any other media players that can play *.mov files - I know Apple's
> Quicktime does but I really hate that software - does anyone know of any
> other program that is compatible with *.mov movie files.
>
> TIA

°Mike°

There are players that will play .mov files, but I believe
that you still have to have QuickTime installed.

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 17:12:37 -0000, in
<3fb7aff2$0$22606$(E-Mail Removed)>
*** HAWK scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Paul - xxx

Irfanview can do, but it needs QT to be installed too, along with other
codecs which it will point you to.

chuckieŽ tried to scribble ...

--
Digweed

*** HAWK

Ok. Cheers for info guys. looks like I'll install Quicktime - i hate it cos
it always seems to give me some problem and I can never seem to uninstall it
for some reason.

Thanks again
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There are players that will play .mov files, but I believe
> that you still have to have QuickTime installed.
>

> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 17:12:37 -0000, in
> <3fb7aff2$0$22606$(E-Mail Removed)>
> *** HAWK scrawled:
>
> >Are they any other media players that can play *.mov files - I know
> >Apple's Quicktime does but I really hate that software - does anyone
> >know of any other program that is compatible with *.mov movie files.
> >
> >TIA

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

I've had trouble with it, too, and I won't install it on
my system. It's more invasive than Real Player, IMO.

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 18:14:01 -0000, in
<3fb7be69$0$462$(E-Mail Removed)>
*** HAWK scrawled:

>Ok. Cheers for info guys. looks like I'll install Quicktime - i hate
>it cos it always seems to give me some problem and I can
>never seem to uninstall it for some reason.
>
>Thanks again
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> There are players that will play .mov files, but I believe
>> that you still have to have QuickTime installed.
>>

>> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 17:12:37 -0000, in
>> <3fb7aff2$0$22606$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> *** HAWK scrawled:
>>
>> >Are they any other media players that can play *.mov files - I know
>> >Apple's Quicktime does but I really hate that software - does anyone
>> >know of any other program that is compatible with *.mov movie files.
>> >
>> >TIA

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

Basic computer maintenance

*** HAWK

I agree - but I need to play some *.mov
Is there any good video converters that will convert *.mov files to maybe
*.avi or *.mpeg?

Just an idea.. i really don't want to use quicktime unless its essential.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've had trouble with it, too, and I won't install it on
> my system. It's more invasive than Real Player, IMO.
>

> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 18:14:01 -0000, in
> <3fb7be69$0$462$(E-Mail Removed)>
> *** HAWK scrawled:
>
> >Ok. Cheers for info guys. looks like I'll install Quicktime - i hate
> >it cos it always seems to give me some problem and I can
> >never seem to uninstall it for some reason.
> >
> >Thanks again
> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> There are players that will play .mov files, but I believe
> >> that you still have to have QuickTime installed.
> >>

> >> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 17:12:37 -0000, in
> >> <3fb7aff2$0$22606$(E-Mail Removed)>
> >> *** HAWK scrawled:

> >> --
> >> Basic computer maintenance

> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

None that I know of - it's a proprietary format.

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:46:33 -0000, in
<3fb7f039$0$458$(E-Mail Removed)>
*** HAWK scrawled:

>I agree - but I need to play some *.mov
>Is there any good video converters that will convert *.mov files
>to maybe *.avi or *.mpeg?
>
>Just an idea.. i really don't want to use quicktime unless its essential.
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've had trouble with it, too, and I won't install it on
>> my system. It's more invasive than Real Player, IMO.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Zknb

How about this?

QuickTime Alternative 1.22
Play QuickTime (.mov .qt) files without the need of QuickTime player

Also you might want this...

Real Alternative 1.11
Play Real Media files without RealPlayer

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 17:12:37 -0000, "*** HAWK"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Are they any other media players that can play *.mov files - I know Apple's
>Quicktime does but I really hate that software - does anyone know of any
>other program that is compatible with *.mov movie files.
>
>TIA

*** HAWK

ok cheers for the advice mike..
looks like i gotta bite the bullet and install quicktime
news:(E-Mail Removed)...