Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Why could the computer keep on freezing?

Why could the computer keep on freezing?

Alpha

I've got here an old P2 with 64Mb and a 4Mb AGP gfx card running
WinMe.

As of late the darn thing keeps on freezing on me for no appearant
reason. I switch between windows and it freezes. I switch between tabs
in my tabbed web-browser (Opera) and it freezes. When it does freeze
ctrl-alt-del doesn't do a thing. Only thing left is the good old reset
button. No errors to report because of the total freeze up.

I got only the bare essentials running. I.e. viruskiller and webshots.
The running processes are as few as possible. So no LoadQM etc.

I have my suspicions about the GFX card wich is an on board SIS6326.
Tried to update the drivers but that still didn't help. Also turned
off the hardware accelleration. Didn't do a thing.
--
>If everything comes your way you are in the wrong lane.

alexandrew

Check your heatsink and fan, if it is working OK, than I guess it is your
power supply.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

"alexandrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Check your heatsink and fan, if it is working OK, than I guess it is your
>power supply.

Thanks for your answer.

The computer will freeze sometimes as soon as it got turned on and
booted Win. The fans are all in working order.

The powersupply. Are you thinking of a fluctuating current? I might
see if I can check that somehow.

As a last resort I'll clean out this box of chips and clean every
contact inside it. It wouldn't suprise me that some connections are
oxidized.
--
>If everything comes your way you are in the wrong lane.

alexandrew

I had this problem with one of my system and I did everything I could to fix
it with no results, the only thing was not checked, was power supply which
was the problem. So try another power supply and see the results, if nothing
happens while in windows, than you have solved the problem.
You should be very careful if you want to open the power supply, even when
is off, there is a chance of getting shock.

"Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "alexandrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Check your heatsink and fan, if it is working OK, than I guess it is your
> >power supply.

> Thanks for your answer.
>
> The computer will freeze sometimes as soon as it got turned on and
> booted Win. The fans are all in working order.
>
> The powersupply. Are you thinking of a fluctuating current? I might
> see if I can check that somehow.
>
> As a last resort I'll clean out this box of chips and clean every
> contact inside it. It wouldn't suprise me that some connections are
> oxidized.
> --
> >If everything comes your way you are in the wrong lane.

DH

Viruskiller and webshots aren't "bare essentials". Use msconfig and whatever
else is necessary to stop EVERYTHING from starting up at startup. Then go
about your normal activity and see how your computer behaves. If it still
misbehaves, re-install Windows. I suggest you NOT install Windows through
Windows. Instead, make a "boot disk" that'll load your CD driver and give
you access to your CD from the DOS prompt. Start your system with your boot
disk, switch to your CD drive and run the setup program. You get a better
installation this way.

After you've re-installed, go about your normal computer activity and see
how it behaves. If it seems to be normal, then go to msconfig and turn the
programs back on that you want starting up everytime you start your
computer. You can add these back one at a time to see exactly which one is
causing the problem, if you want.