Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Select Source Missing For 3300C Scanner

Reply
Thread Tools

Select Source Missing For 3300C Scanner

 
 
SATB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2003
Currently I have HP Scanjet 3300C USB on my PC. Two weeks ago, I could
go into Paint Shop Pro, and acquire an image from the scanner. On the
weekend, I attempted the same thing, but could not find the "twain"
source. I then went into the SELECT SOURCE box, and the scanner is not
there. I have other photo editing software, and none of them display
the scanner either.
I have never installed PRECISION SCAN on this computer, only relying
on WIA to do the job.
I have uninstalled the scanner from hardware, unplugged the scanner,
re-booted, and re-booted again (with the scanner plugged in). Windows
discovers it and puts in the drivers. I can access the scanner through
the SCANNER AND CAMERA wizard, however not through any photo-editing
programs that have a SELECT SOURCE dialog box. I checked the TWAIN32
directory, and discovered there was a file called wiatwain.ds. This, I
believe, tells the SELECT SOURCE dialog box what peripherals are
available through WIA. Then I tried another .ds file (from another
computer), thinking that the wiatwain.ds was corrupt….but no, the
SELECT SOURCE did not display anything from the other .ds file. I
guess what I am trying to figure out: What process / paths are
involved when you go to a SELECT SOURCE dialog box, and tells it to go
look into the WINDOWS/ TWAIN32 folder? I think there must be a reg
file missing/corrupt.

I have done a format, re-installed XP, checked to see if the scanner
was there in Paint Shop Pro (it was), and thought that's the end.
Oh...no...just checked again today, and the scanner is missing again!
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (Could it be a Windows
update fix??) Please help!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2003
Check your USB connections. Check (when you install your
scanner software) that TWAIN.DLL and TWAIN_32.DLL are
installed in the Windows directory.


On 15 Nov 2003 10:05:24 -0800, in
<(E-Mail Removed) >
SATB scrawled:

>Currently I have HP Scanjet 3300C USB on my PC. Two weeks ago, I could
>go into Paint Shop Pro, and acquire an image from the scanner. On the
>weekend, I attempted the same thing, but could not find the "twain"
>source. I then went into the SELECT SOURCE box, and the scanner is not
>there. I have other photo editing software, and none of them display
>the scanner either.
>I have never installed PRECISION SCAN on this computer, only relying
>on WIA to do the job.
>I have uninstalled the scanner from hardware, unplugged the scanner,
>re-booted, and re-booted again (with the scanner plugged in). Windows
>discovers it and puts in the drivers. I can access the scanner through
>the SCANNER AND CAMERA wizard, however not through any photo-editing
>programs that have a SELECT SOURCE dialog box. I checked the TWAIN32
>directory, and discovered there was a file called wiatwain.ds. This, I
>believe, tells the SELECT SOURCE dialog box what peripherals are
>available through WIA. Then I tried another .ds file (from another
>computer), thinking that the wiatwain.ds was corrupt….but no, the
>SELECT SOURCE did not display anything from the other .ds file. I
>guess what I am trying to figure out: What process / paths are
>involved when you go to a SELECT SOURCE dialog box, and tells it to go
>look into the WINDOWS/ TWAIN32 folder? I think there must be a reg
>file missing/corrupt.
>
>I have done a format, re-installed XP, checked to see if the scanner
>was there in Paint Shop Pro (it was), and thought that's the end.
>Oh...no...just checked again today, and the scanner is missing again!
>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (Could it be a Windows
>update fix??) Please help!


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
SATB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2003
Mike: The two files are located in the windows directory....funny
thing...I have another PC, hooked up the scanner, and it found it,
check it with Paint Shop Pro, and there is was.
I checked all the reg entries on the other PC with anything that said
"3300c", made note of where they were located, and check my other PC
if it had the same entries. It did!
Basically, I need to find out what process occurs from Paint Shop Pro
(or any other graphics program, that has a "select source" entry,
where you can select a scanner. Where does the "select source" box get
it's information from, and what reg entries have to be in place to do
so.


°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Check your USB connections. Check (when you install your
> scanner software) that TWAIN.DLL and TWAIN_32.DLL are
> installed in the Windows directory.
>
>
> On 15 Nov 2003 10:05:24 -0800, in
> <(E-Mail Removed) >
> SATB scrawled:
>
> >Currently I have HP Scanjet 3300C USB on my PC. Two weeks ago, I could
> >go into Paint Shop Pro, and acquire an image from the scanner. On the
> >weekend, I attempted the same thing, but could not find the "twain"
> >source. I then went into the SELECT SOURCE box, and the scanner is not
> >there. I have other photo editing software, and none of them display
> >the scanner either.
> >I have never installed PRECISION SCAN on this computer, only relying
> >on WIA to do the job.
> >I have uninstalled the scanner from hardware, unplugged the scanner,
> >re-booted, and re-booted again (with the scanner plugged in). Windows
> >discovers it and puts in the drivers. I can access the scanner through
> >the SCANNER AND CAMERA wizard, however not through any photo-editing
> >programs that have a SELECT SOURCE dialog box. I checked the TWAIN32
> >directory, and discovered there was a file called wiatwain.ds. This, I
> >believe, tells the SELECT SOURCE dialog box what peripherals are
> >available through WIA. Then I tried another .ds file (from another
> >computer), thinking that the wiatwain.ds was corrupt?.but no, the
> >SELECT SOURCE did not display anything from the other .ds file. I
> >guess what I am trying to figure out: What process / paths are
> >involved when you go to a SELECT SOURCE dialog box, and tells it to go
> >look into the WINDOWS/ TWAIN32 folder? I think there must be a reg
> >file missing/corrupt.
> >
> >I have done a format, re-installed XP, checked to see if the scanner
> >was there in Paint Shop Pro (it was), and thought that's the end.
> >Oh...no...just checked again today, and the scanner is missing again!
> >Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (Could it be a Windows
> >update fix??) Please help!

 
Reply With Quote
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2003
This is not a registry issue. An image capturing application
will require TWAIN libraries and it's own internal libraries.
Those (TWAIN) I have already mentioned. I can only suggest
that you uninstall and re-install the application/s involved.

Other than that, you could ask in a Windows XP specific
group.


On 15 Nov 2003 23:49:05 -0800, in
<(E-Mail Removed) >
SATB scrawled:

>Mike: The two files are located in the windows directory....funny
>thing...I have another PC, hooked up the scanner, and it found it,
>check it with Paint Shop Pro, and there is was.
>I checked all the reg entries on the other PC with anything that said
>"3300c", made note of where they were located, and check my other PC
>if it had the same entries. It did!
>Basically, I need to find out what process occurs from Paint Shop Pro
>(or any other graphics program, that has a "select source" entry,
>where you can select a scanner. Where does the "select source" box get
>it's information from, and what reg entries have to be in place to do
>so.
>
>
>°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> Check your USB connections. Check (when you install your
>> scanner software) that TWAIN.DLL and TWAIN_32.DLL are
>> installed in the Windows directory.
>>
>>
>> On 15 Nov 2003 10:05:24 -0800, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed) >
>> SATB scrawled:
>>
>> >Currently I have HP Scanjet 3300C USB on my PC. Two weeks ago, I could
>> >go into Paint Shop Pro, and acquire an image from the scanner. On the
>> >weekend, I attempted the same thing, but could not find the "twain"
>> >source. I then went into the SELECT SOURCE box, and the scanner is not
>> >there. I have other photo editing software, and none of them display
>> >the scanner either.
>> >I have never installed PRECISION SCAN on this computer, only relying
>> >on WIA to do the job.
>> >I have uninstalled the scanner from hardware, unplugged the scanner,
>> >re-booted, and re-booted again (with the scanner plugged in). Windows
>> >discovers it and puts in the drivers. I can access the scanner through
>> >the SCANNER AND CAMERA wizard, however not through any photo-editing
>> >programs that have a SELECT SOURCE dialog box. I checked the TWAIN32
>> >directory, and discovered there was a file called wiatwain.ds. This, I
>> >believe, tells the SELECT SOURCE dialog box what peripherals are
>> >available through WIA. Then I tried another .ds file (from another
>> >computer), thinking that the wiatwain.ds was corrupt?.but no, the
>> >SELECT SOURCE did not display anything from the other .ds file. I
>> >guess what I am trying to figure out: What process / paths are
>> >involved when you go to a SELECT SOURCE dialog box, and tells it to go
>> >look into the WINDOWS/ TWAIN32 folder? I think there must be a reg
>> >file missing/corrupt.
>> >
>> >I have done a format, re-installed XP, checked to see if the scanner
>> >was there in Paint Shop Pro (it was), and thought that's the end.
>> >Oh...no...just checked again today, and the scanner is missing again!
>> >Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (Could it be a Windows
>> >update fix??) Please help!


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flat Bed Scanner + Enlarger = Film Scanner? G. Huang Digital Photography 10 08-07-2011 03:46 PM
Probs with HP 3300C Scanner KeithS Computer Support 9 03-01-2006 02:21 AM
Scanjet 3300C john waugh Computer Support 2 01-30-2005 05:31 AM
select of select box will select multiple in another box palmiere Javascript 1 02-09-2004 01:11 PM
HP Scanjet 3300C Bill Dobbs Computer Support 0 02-06-2004 11:03 PM



Advertisments