Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Backup program

Backup program

dispatcher

Does anyone know of a good program to backup files onto a CD that doesn't
make the files "read only"? I have tried several & they all seem to make the
disk "read only" & not overwrite old files with updated files. I'm running
WinXP & Easy CD/Direct CD just locks it up even with the update. I don't
have a ton of money to spend on programs so shareware or freeware is great.

Thanks

°Mike°

Files backup up/copied to CD are automatically marked
'Read Only'. That is the nature of the beast. It has
nothing to do with the backup program.

On 15 Nov 2003 16:33:11 GMT, in
<Xns9434610FF8CFFdispatcher51softhome@130.133.1. 4>
dispatcher scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Mike Simpson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Files backup up/copied to CD are automatically marked
> 'Read Only'. That is the nature of the beast. It has
> nothing to do with the backup program.
>

> On 15 Nov 2003 16:33:11 GMT, in
> <Xns9434610FF8CFFdispatcher51softhome@130.133.1. 4>
> dispatcher scrawled:
>
> >Does anyone know of a good program to backup files onto a CD that doesn't
> >make the files "read only"? I have tried several & they all seem to make the
> >disk "read only" & not overwrite old files with updated files. I'm running
> >WinXP & Easy CD/Direct CD just locks it up even with the update. I don't
> >have a ton of money to spend on programs so shareware or freeware is great.
> >
> >Thanks

However there's a riny file that, according to its readme text, does
this:

This tiny file is used to add a 'Clear Read Only flag'
context menu item to all folders within Windows Explorer.

You don't need any executable files - it's all here!

Double click on readonly.reg to load it into your registry.

From then on, all you have to do is right click a folder
and choose 'Clear Read Only flag' to clear the Read Only
flag on all files in all subfolders!

Get it from www.crystalsoftware.com.au

°Mike°

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 16:47:32 -0000, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Mike Simpson scrawled:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Files backup up/copied to CD are automatically marked
>> 'Read Only'. That is the nature of the beast. It has
>> nothing to do with the backup program.
>>

>> On 15 Nov 2003 16:33:11 GMT, in
>> <Xns9434610FF8CFFdispatcher51softhome@130.133.1. 4>
>> dispatcher scrawled:
>>
>> >Does anyone know of a good program to backup files onto a CD that doesn't
>> >make the files "read only"? I have tried several & they all seem to make the
>> >disk "read only" & not overwrite old files with updated files. I'm running
>> >WinXP & Easy CD/Direct CD just locks it up even with the update. I don't
>> >have a ton of money to spend on programs so shareware or freeware is great.
>> >
>> >Thanks

>However there's a riny file that, according to its readme text, does
>this:
>
>This tiny file is used to add a 'Clear Read Only flag'
>context menu item to all folders within Windows Explorer.
>
>You don't need any executable files - it's all here!
>
>Double click on readonly.reg to load it into your registry.
>
>From then on, all you have to do is right click a folder
>and choose 'Clear Read Only flag' to clear the Read Only
>flag on all files in all subfolders!
>

>Get it from www.crystalsoftware.com.au

That only applies to files stored on the hard drive, *not*
on CD. And it can be done from a command prompt.

--
Basic computer maintenance

gangle

"°Mike°" wrote in
> Files backup up/copied to CD are automatically marked
> 'Read Only'. That is the nature of the beast.

Is this it?
http://www.prism.uvsq.fr/~frera/beast.jpg

> It has nothing to do with the backup program.
>

> On 15 Nov 2003 16:33:11 GMT, in
> dispatcher scrawled:
>
> >Does anyone know of a good program to backup files onto a CD that doesn't
> >make the files "read only"? I have tried several & they all seem to make the
> >disk "read only" & not overwrite old files with updated files. I'm running
> >WinXP & Easy CD/Direct CD just locks it up even with the update. I don't
> >have a ton of money to spend on programs so shareware or freeware is great.

dispatcher

Mike Simpson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Files backup up/copied to CD are automatically marked
>> 'Read Only'. That is the nature of the beast. It has
>> nothing to do with the backup program.
>>

>> On 15 Nov 2003 16:33:11 GMT, in
>> <Xns9434610FF8CFFdispatcher51softhome@130.133.1. 4>
>> dispatcher scrawled:
>>
>> >Does anyone know of a good program to backup files onto a CD that
>> >doesn't make the files "read only"? I have tried several & they all
>> >seem to make the disk "read only" & not overwrite old files with
>> >updated files. I'm running WinXP & Easy CD/Direct CD just locks it up
>> >even with the update. I don't have a ton of money to spend on
>> >programs so shareware or freeware is great.
>> >
>> >Thanks

> However there's a riny file that, according to its readme text, does
> this:
>
> This tiny file is used to add a 'Clear Read Only flag'
> context menu item to all folders within Windows Explorer.
>
> You don't need any executable files - it's all here!
>
> Double click on readonly.reg to load it into your registry.
>
> From then on, all you have to do is right click a folder
> and choose 'Clear Read Only flag' to clear the Read Only
> flag on all files in all subfolders!
>

> Get it from www.crystalsoftware.com.au

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Gets really irritating to keep buying disks
cause I can't overwrite whit new stuff.

°Mike°

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 08:58:02 -0800, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
gangle scrawled:

>"°Mike°" wrote in
>> Files backup up/copied to CD are automatically marked
>> 'Read Only'. That is the nature of the beast.

>Is this it?
>http://www.prism.uvsq.fr/~frera/beast.jpg

Close, but it's more like this:
http://ironmaiden.webvis.net/images/...-The-Beast.jpg