Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > What's the XP hitch?

What's the XP hitch?

Allan

I have connected one XP Pro client to a workgroup without a hitch...

Now I install another XP Pro client, and it cannot "see" other computers on
the network - no matter what I have tried. I am sure to get RTFM from
someone, but I have tried everything I know.

Everyone is using TCP/IP, and it is comprised of XP Pro clients (2), NT
Workstation client (file, print) and a laptop (W2K pro)

Is there a special hitch I should know about XP Pro on a Work group?

°Mike°

Step-by-Step - Networking for Dummies
http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/guide.htm

http://www.wown.com/
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 14:51:58 GMT, in
<i4rtb.395955$6C4.196844@pd7tw1no>
Allan scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Ed Peluffo

Are u using the same Workgroup name as the other machines?

Is the IP address on the same range as the others?

Is the subnet the same as the others?

Can the other computers see the new XP machine?

How are the computers connected, Hub / Switch / Router?

Is the Network Cable a straight thru cable?

Does the network card work properly?

Give more details please....

"Allan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I have connected one XP Pro client to a workgroup without a hitch...
>
> Now I install another XP Pro client, and it cannot "see" other computers

on
> the network - no matter what I have tried. I am sure to get RTFM from
> someone, but I have tried everything I know.
>
> Everyone is using TCP/IP, and it is comprised of XP Pro clients (2), NT
> Workstation client (file, print) and a laptop (W2K pro)
>
> Is there a special hitch I should know about XP Pro on a Work group?

nemo

Allan,

How are ip addresses allocated are the fixed or do you have a dhcp
server?

Have you tried doing a ipconfig /all and checking the setup?

Can you ping other PC's?

Can other PC ping the new XP machine (have you turned off the in built
firewall?)?

Do all machines have the same workgroup name?

Have you set up users and passwords for all machines on all
machines,i.e there should be 4 users on each machine?

Regards

nemo

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 14:51:58 GMT, "Allan"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have connected one XP Pro client to a workgroup without a hitch...
>
>Now I install another XP Pro client, and it cannot "see" other computers on
>the network - no matter what I have tried. I am sure to get RTFM from
>someone, but I have tried everything I know.
>
>Everyone is using TCP/IP, and it is comprised of XP Pro clients (2), NT
>Workstation client (file, print) and a laptop (W2K pro)
>
>Is there a special hitch I should know about XP Pro on a Work group?

Allan

Thanks: Answers below in UPPERCASE:
"Ed Peluffo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YCstb.51977$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Are u using the same Workgroup name as the other machines?

YES
> Is the IP address on the same range as the others?

YES
> Is the subnet the same as the others?

YES
> Can the other computers see the new XP machine?

NO
> How are the computers connected, Hub / Switch / Router?

ADSL ROUTER
> Is the Network Cable a straight thru cable?

YES
> Does the network card work properly?

I CAN SURF, BUT CANNOT SEE LOCAL NETWORK
> Give more details please....
>
> "Allan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > I have connected one XP Pro client to a workgroup without a hitch...
> >
> > Now I install another XP Pro client, and it cannot "see" other computers

> on
> > the network - no matter what I have tried. I am sure to get RTFM from
> > someone, but I have tried everything I know.
> >
> > Everyone is using TCP/IP, and it is comprised of XP Pro clients (2), NT
> > Workstation client (file, print) and a laptop (W2K pro)
> >
> > Is there a special hitch I should know about XP Pro on a Work group?

Ed Peluffo

The XP Firewall is probably enabled, Go to Local Area Connection Properties
/ Advanced and disable the firewall. Also make sure that the usernames that
the other machines use to logon locally exist on the XP machine, for
example: if PC1 uses USER1, PC2 uses USER2, etc. then XP must have a USER1,
USER2, etc cofigured thru Users and Passwords.

> Thanks: Answers below in UPPERCASE:
> "Ed Peluffo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:YCstb.51977$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Are u using the same Workgroup name as the other machines?

> YES
> > Is the IP address on the same range as the others?

> YES
> > Is the subnet the same as the others?

> YES
> > Can the other computers see the new XP machine?

> NO
> > How are the computers connected, Hub / Switch / Router?

> ADSL ROUTER
> > Is the Network Cable a straight thru cable?

> YES
> > Does the network card work properly?

> I CAN SURF, BUT CANNOT SEE LOCAL NETWORK
> > Give more details please....
> >
> > "Allan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > I have connected one XP Pro client to a workgroup without a hitch...
> > >
> > > Now I install another XP Pro client, and it cannot "see" other

computers
> > on
> > > the network - no matter what I have tried. I am sure to get RTFM from
> > > someone, but I have tried everything I know.
> > >
> > > Everyone is using TCP/IP, and it is comprised of XP Pro clients (2),

NT
> > > Workstation client (file, print) and a laptop (W2K pro)
> > >
> > > Is there a special hitch I should know about XP Pro on a Work group?

SgtSilicon

Is file and print sharing enabled on the coonnection properties for
the NIC?

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have connected one XP Pro client to a workgroup without a hitch...
>
>Now I install another XP Pro client, and it cannot "see" other computers on
>the network - no matter what I have tried. I am sure to get RTFM from
>someone, but I have tried everything I know.
>
>Everyone is using TCP/IP, and it is comprised of XP Pro clients (2), NT
>Workstation client (file, print) and a laptop (W2K pro)
>
>Is there a special hitch I should know about XP Pro on a Work group?

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and
including the underscore in my email reply header.

Ron Martell

"Allan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have connected one XP Pro client to a workgroup without a hitch...
>
>Now I install another XP Pro client, and it cannot "see" other computers on
>the network - no matter what I have tried. I am sure to get RTFM from
>someone, but I have tried everything I know.
>
>Everyone is using TCP/IP, and it is comprised of XP Pro clients (2), NT
>Workstation client (file, print) and a laptop (W2K pro)
>
>Is there a special hitch I should know about XP Pro on a Work group?

Adding Windows XP to an Existing Network by MVP Steve Winograd:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...g/xp/addxp.htm

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Rosco

Are you sure the ICF (internet connection firewall) isnt enabled. If so
it will prevent the other computers in the workgroup from appearing. Go
to network connections right click on the connection that you are using,
Go to properties go to the advanced tab and make sure that the Internet
Connection Firewall is disabled.
Ron Martell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "Allan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I have connected one XP Pro client to a workgroup without a hitch...
>>
>>Now I install another XP Pro client, and it cannot "see" other
>>computers on the network - no matter what I have tried. I am sure to
>>get RTFM from someone, but I have tried everything I know.
>>
>>Everyone is using TCP/IP, and it is comprised of XP Pro clients (2),
>>NT Workstation client (file, print) and a laptop (W2K pro)
>>
>>Is there a special hitch I should know about XP Pro on a Work group?
>>

> Adding Windows XP to an Existing Network by MVP Steve Winograd:
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...g/xp/addxp.htm
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

rifleman

"Rosco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns94359F785D059rosco111shawuscom@209.25.157. 130...
> Are you sure the ICF (internet connection firewall) isnt enabled. If so
> it will prevent the other computers in the workgroup from appearing.

Rubbish! I run the XP ICF and can still see other machines in the workgroup.