Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Viewing messages in plain text

Viewing messages in plain text

Viewasku1977

While going through my old email messages and trying to make room, I noticed
that the more lengthy ones ended in a string of broken sentences marked with
">" symbols which cause the message to be much longer than it would be. Is
this still plain text? It doesn't appear to me to be html format. Would there
be a way to convert the message back to plain text (other than highlighting
each part and copying into a notepad file reassembled the way I want it) to
save space?

I've also noticed this a lot in newsgroups and that some don't seem to have
this problem with their messages while others do. Would this be a registry
settings issue more than anything? I checked google and it seems to plague
Outlook users more, but at the moment I'm not using Outlook.

What methods would you suggest to be able to read the text as a normal
paragraph rather than a long string of breaks?

°Mike°

This has nothing to do with readers or HTML. The quoted
text markers (>) are for just that reason, attributing quoted
text to a particular poster, otherwise it is impossible to
understand who said what in replies. Each reply generally
gets prefixed with another ">". If you remove these markers,
the text can quickly become a meaningless jumble.

On 14 Nov 2003 18:42:08 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Viewasku1977 scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Viewasku1977

>This has nothing to do with readers or HTML. The quoted
>text markers (>) are for just that reason, attributing quoted
>text to a particular poster, otherwise it is impossible to
>understand who said what in replies. Each reply generally
>gets prefixed with another ">". If you remove these markers,
>the text can quickly become a meaningless jumble.

Ok, that explains why in newsgroups, but in some of the messages I've received
by email, one person's reply is broken down into about twenty lines (would
*maybe* be a paragraph or two's worth) while mine is perfectly fine. Or
sometimes it's the other way around. And it's not limited to one email reader.
I've had this problem with lots of ISP's email. If it's something I'm doing
or settings that can be changed, I'd definately like to change them.

Thanks

°Mike°

On 14 Nov 2003 18:55:49 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Viewasku1977 scrawled:

>>This has nothing to do with readers or HTML. The quoted
>>text markers (>) are for just that reason, attributing quoted
>>text to a particular poster, otherwise it is impossible to
>>understand who said what in replies. Each reply generally
>>gets prefixed with another ">". If you remove these markers,
>>the text can quickly become a meaningless jumble.
>>

>Ok, that explains why in newsgroups, but in some of the messages I've received
>by email, one person's reply is broken down into about twenty lines (would
>*maybe* be a paragraph or two's worth) while mine is perfectly fine. Or
>sometimes it's the other way around. And it's not limited to one email reader.
> I've had this problem with lots of ISP's email. If it's something I'm doing
>or settings that can be changed, I'd definately like to change them.
>
>Thanks

This is *not* restricted to newsgroups. Email conversations
carry the same logic. If you carry on a conversation with
somebody, over an extended period, it's nice to know where,
in the conversation, something was actually said.

Unless I am misunderstanding you. In which case, you could
post a (fictitious) example of what you mean.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Viewasku1977

>This is *not* restricted to newsgroups. Email conversations
>carry the same logic. If you carry on a conversation with
>somebody, over an extended period, it's nice to know where,
>in the conversation, something was actually said.
>
>Unless I am misunderstanding you. In which case, you could
>post a (fictitious) example of what you mean.
>
>--

Ok, here's an example. I did a view source and found lots of this in the
document:

&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;

This seems to be the reason for all the breaks as this is the exact place where
they occur. Here's an example:

Monday

> and you'd let me know all the tracking
> and
> > such.
> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> email, I never received it. No pressure
> on
> > you
> > > or

wondering

> when I should expect it to be in the
> mail?
> > LMK

See what I mean? This is actually more confusing than having them jumbled
together, or at least just as bad.

Viewasku1977

Ok, here's an example. I did a view source and found lots of this in the
document:

Note: I was actually trying to say "&gt" but apparently that's code for the
symbol ">"

°Mike°

On 14 Nov 2003 19:25:23 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Viewasku1977 scrawled:

>>This is *not* restricted to newsgroups. Email conversations
>>carry the same logic. If you carry on a conversation with
>>somebody, over an extended period, it's nice to know where,
>>in the conversation, something was actually said.
>>
>>Unless I am misunderstanding you. In which case, you could
>>post a (fictitious) example of what you mean.
>>

>Ok, here's an example. I did a view source and found lots of this in the
>document:
>
>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;

Those are HTML characters, but I have no idea why so many
spurious characters are being added.

>This seems to be the reason for all the breaks as this is the exact place where
>they occur. Here's an example:

> Monday
>> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > and you'd let me know all the tracking
>> and
>> > such.
>> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > email, I never received it. No pressure
>> on
>> > you
>> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> wondering
>> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > when I should expect it to be in the
>> mail?
>> > LMK
>> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

>See what I mean? This is actually more confusing than having
>them jumbled together, or at least just as bad.

Is this AOL email? I have zero knowledge of how it works.

As a temporary solution, you could use a cleanup utility, such
as eCleaner.
http://ecleaner.tripod.com/

--
Basic computer maintenance

Viewasku1977

s this AOL email? I have zero knowledge of how it works.

As a temporary solution, you could use a cleanup utility, such
as eCleaner.
http://ecleaner.tripod.com/

Nope, this is a freemail account. It's happened with hotmail and Juno before,
so I don't think it's an ISP-specific thing. I'll try that link. Thanks!

Mara

On 14 Nov 2003 18:55:49 GMT, Viewasku1977 wrote:

>>This has nothing to do with readers or HTML. The quoted
>>text markers (>) are for just that reason, attributing quoted
>>text to a particular poster, otherwise it is impossible to
>>understand who said what in replies. Each reply generally
>>gets prefixed with another ">". If you remove these markers,
>>the text can quickly become a meaningless jumble.
>>

>Ok, that explains why in newsgroups, but in some of the messages I've received
>by email, one person's reply is broken down into about twenty lines (would
>*maybe* be a paragraph or two's worth) while mine is perfectly fine. Or
>sometimes it's the other way around. And it's not limited to one email reader.
> I've had this problem with lots of ISP's email. If it's something I'm doing
>or settings that can be changed, I'd definately like to change them.
>
>Thanks

It _could_ be a difference in your line-length settings vs the other person's. I
see that frequently.

--
Speech isn't free when it comes postage due. --Jim Nitchals

°Mike°

On 14 Nov 2003 19:44:36 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Viewasku1977 scrawled:

>s this AOL email? I have zero knowledge of how it works.
>
>As a temporary solution, you could use a cleanup utility, such
>as eCleaner.
>http://ecleaner.tripod.com/
>

>Nope, this is a freemail account. It's happened with hotmail and Juno before,
>so I don't think it's an ISP-specific thing. I'll try that link. Thanks!

See what I mean about the quote marks!!

--
Basic computer maintenance