Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Stop Error

Stop Error

anon

The east coast has been bombarded with incredibly high winds for the past
several days. Yesterday the winds must have been a factor in disrupting our
electrical service for several hours. As fate would have it, my desktop
computer was on and was in the process of downloading about two hours worth
of critical updates that had just become available yesterday morning. When
I got home last night, my system was shut down. I powered it up and it
began to run through its boot up procedures, only to suddenly stop at a blue
screen with a message at the top. The message heading was: UNEXPECTED
KERNAL MODE TRAP. The message then went on to say that if this was the
first time that I had seen this error that I should just reboot the machine.
I did that, only to arrive back at the same blue screen with he same error
message. The last line of the message refers to a STOP ERROR and refers me
to my manual for troubleshooting tips. My machine is a hybrid (made to
order) and operates on a WIN2K platform. I don't have a manual. Can anyone
give me any hints or ideas where I should proceed from here? I did reboot
at one point and used F8 to get me to SAFE mode with a COMMAND PROMPT where
I tried to recover from my last successful configuration but with no
success. I also tried the console recovery method, again without success.
By the way, when I use that feature what do I use as the password? As you
can see, I'm in a mess and I don't know how to get out of it. Any help will
be MOST appreciated. I do have a complete system backup using Karen's
Replicator.

Thank you,

°Mike°

The exact STOP error message may have been more
help. I can only find this one article on the MS KB.

Cannot Start Windows NT 4.0 After Installing Previous Version

Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 09:49:50 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
anon scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Plato

anon wrote:

> The east coast has been bombarded with incredibly high winds for the past
> several days. Yesterday the winds must have been a factor in disrupting our

Good thing you got your backups available.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

anon

Got to ask the really stupid question: I d/l'd the WIN2K files to my C
drive and then I tried to unzip the first one to a diskette in my A drive.
Not enough room? What am I doing wrong? What do I do once I get 4
diskettes?

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:3fb58873$0$32836$(E-Mail Removed)...
> anon wrote:
> >
> > The east coast has been bombarded with incredibly high winds for the

past
> > several days. Yesterday the winds must have been a factor in disrupting

our

> Good thing you got your backups available.
>

> --
> http://www.bootdisk.com/

nemo

anon,

Copied from the same page that the boot disks were on:

<Start quote>
DOCS:
1. Most of the files above are disk images. Download the file to your
C: drive, put a fresh disk in your A: drive, then click on the file to
create the bootdisk.
2. If the Primary link is down, use the Alternate [Alt] link or Mirror
Site to download my disks.
3. The W2K Pro disks can be individually downloaded, unzipped, and
made with a program like WinImage. If you download the entire set, one
can make them in dos or a dos window using makeboot for 9X or makebt32
for NT.
<End quote>

makeboot for 9X or makebt32 can be downloaded from the same site.

Regards

nemo