Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows 98 shut down

Windows 98 shut down

Harry

Hi,

When I shut down Windows 98 normally
it shuts down automatically and switches off
the computer. However, recently, after I
click on the shut down, the usual blue
MS Microsoft screen appears with a
message at the bottom sayin "Windows is
shutting down". Yet it does not. So I have
to switch the computer and monitor
manually.

Any knows whats going wrong.

Harry

SoCal Tom

"Harry" wrote >
I have
> to switch the computer and monitor
> manually.

Sometimes, in rare cases, a corrupt wav file (Start>Control Panel>Sounds)
will stop the shutdown process. In the "Sounds" menu, uncheck the "Windows
Shutdown" file and select "none." It won't hurt to try, and it has worked
for me.
--
SoCal Tom

Boomer

"Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Kz0tb.52$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi,
>
> When I shut down Windows 98 normally
> it shuts down automatically and switches off
> the computer. However, recently, after I
> click on the shut down, the usual blue
> MS Microsoft screen appears with a
> message at the bottom sayin "Windows is
> shutting down". Yet it does not. So I have
> to switch the computer and monitor
> manually.
>
> Any knows whats going wrong.
>
> Harry

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 238096
"Problems Shutting Down Windows 98 Second Edition"
http://support.microsoft.com/default...port.microsoft
..com:80/support/kb/articles/q238/0/96.asp&NoWebContent=1&NoWebContent=1

Or click: http://makeashorterlink.com/?X11052A86

"How to Troubleshoot Windows 98 Shutdown Problems"

More info:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-
8&q=windows+98+shutdown+problems&btnG=Google+Searc h

°Mike°

Make sure that Advanced Power Management is installed,
and enabled in the BIOS.

Jim Eshelman's Windows Shutdown Troubleshooter
http://aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 08:22:25 -0000, in
<Kz0tb.52$(E-Mail Removed)>
Harry scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Skyknight

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 08:22:25 -0000, "Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

Sounds like something is preventing your system from shutting down.

Try disabling the shutdown sound and see if that works.