Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Video Mode not supported

Video Mode not supported

Al

HI,
Can someone point me in the right direction to troubleshoot the error
message in the title?
I have a long way to go to look at this computer and would like to have some
idea as where to start, and what to take with me. I can't really tell you
whats in it, and I know that would help but I just don't know. I can tell
you that it was quite windy here the other day, and when this guy left home
his computer was on, when he got home it was off. I'm wondering if the video
card took a power hit. That seems odd that just the card would take a hit
with a power surge, but it's a computer and you never know.

Thanks for your help and suggestions,
Al

Harrison

Had it not been for you mentioning the wind, I never would have
thought of this, but I think I know what happened.

About a year ago, a friend of mine was working on his computer. The
wind outside was howling. Suddenly, a strong gust of wind rushed past
his house and hi screen went nuts. After some investigation, we
determined that the wind was causing a geomagnetic pressure gradient
around the electrical fields which surround all electric and
electronic devices. The geomagnetic gradient was strong enough to
alter the electrons and photons within the monitor and to cause what
we thought at the time would be lasting damage. Luckily, the front
passed and the winds kicked in from the opposite direction. This
reversed the effects of the geomagnetic fields and all was right
again.

This effect is very similar to the effect of strong CME's - Coronal
Mass Ejections - on the communications of the earth as solar winds
race past the planet.

Unless you can catch the wind blowing the other way, I'm afraid his
display may be permanently damaged or he will have to call a more
competent technician.

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 04:39:25 -0800, "Al" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>HI,
>Can someone point me in the right direction to troubleshoot the error
>message in the title?
>I have a long way to go to look at this computer and would like to have some
>idea as where to start, and what to take with me. I can't really tell you
>whats in it, and I know that would help but I just don't know. I can tell
>you that it was quite windy here the other day, and when this guy left home
>his computer was on, when he got home it was off. I'm wondering if the video
>card took a power hit. That seems odd that just the card would take a hit
>with a power surge, but it's a computer and you never know.
>
>Thanks for your help and suggestions,
>Al

Rob

Harrison wrote:
> Had it not been for you mentioning the wind, I never would have
> thought of this, but I think I know what happened.
>
> About a year ago, a friend of mine was working on his computer. The
> wind outside was howling. Suddenly, a strong gust of wind rushed past
> his house and hi screen went nuts. After some investigation, we
> determined that the wind was causing a geomagnetic pressure gradient
> around the electrical fields which surround all electric and
> electronic devices. The geomagnetic gradient was strong enough to
> alter the electrons and photons within the monitor and to cause what
> we thought at the time would be lasting damage. Luckily, the front
> passed and the winds kicked in from the opposite direction. This
> reversed the effects of the geomagnetic fields and all was right
> again.
>
> This effect is very similar to the effect of strong CME's - Coronal
> Mass Ejections - on the communications of the earth as solar winds
> race past the planet.
>
> Unless you can catch the wind blowing the other way, I'm afraid his
> display may be permanently damaged or he will have to call a more
> competent technician.

ROTFL

> On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 04:39:25 -0800, "Al" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> HI,
>> Can someone point me in the right direction to troubleshoot the error
>> message in the title?
>> I have a long way to go to look at this computer and would like to
>> have some idea as where to start, and what to take with me. I can't
>> really tell you whats in it, and I know that would help but I just
>> don't know. I can tell you that it was quite windy here the other
>> day, and when this guy left home his computer was on, when he got
>> home it was off. I'm wondering if the video card took a power hit.
>> That seems odd that just the card would take a hit with a power
>> surge, but it's a computer and you never know.
>>
>> Thanks for your help and suggestions,
>> Al

Shel-hed

Boot to safe mode and adjust the display properties to "optimum", or failing that,
'adapter default".
Rt click on desktop, properties, settings tab, advanced button, adapter tab.

If no luck, use the scanreg restore-
http://www.computing.net/windows95/w...um/147081.html

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 04:39:25 -0800, "Al" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>HI,
>Can someone point me in the right direction to troubleshoot the error
>message in the title?
>I have a long way to go to look at this computer and would like to have some
>idea as where to start, and what to take with me. I can't really tell you
>whats in it, and I know that would help but I just don't know. I can tell
>you that it was quite windy here the other day, and when this guy left home
>his computer was on, when he got home it was off. I'm wondering if the video
>card took a power hit. That seems odd that just the card would take a hit
>with a power surge, but it's a computer and you never know.
>
>Thanks for your help and suggestions,
>Al

Al

Oh boy, isn't the world full of out work comics. But I admit that was
clever.

I failed to say that you can see some of the boot sequence,then a box that
acts like the screen saver moving all over the screen, in that box it says "
Video Mode Not Supported" So that tells me the video card is still good. So
something else has happened.
"Al" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> HI,
> Can someone point me in the right direction to troubleshoot the error
> message in the title?
> I have a long way to go to look at this computer and would like to have

some
> idea as where to start, and what to take with me. I can't really tell you
> whats in it, and I know that would help but I just don't know. I can tell
> you that it was quite windy here the other day, and when this guy left

home
> his computer was on, when he got home it was off. I'm wondering if the

video
> card took a power hit. That seems odd that just the card would take a hit
> with a power surge, but it's a computer and you never know.
>
> Thanks for your help and suggestions,
> Al

M Mullen

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:20:59 -0800, "Al" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> a box that
|> acts like the screen saver moving all over the screen, in that box it says "
|> Video Mode Not Supported" So that tells me the video card is still good. So
|> something else has happened.

It's attempting a video mode not supported like: 1024 X 768
Safe mode in, go to the display properties and change it to something it can
handle like 640 X 480.
---
.-.
{\('v')/}
^^" "^^
Ignorance is lack of knowledge, stupidity is ignorance with pride.

Al

Thanks to all who replied, the problem has been solved.

Al
news:(E-Mail Removed)...