Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Unable to delete folder on XP desktop

Unable to delete folder on XP desktop

TJ

I downloaded a zip file from the net to my desktop, and extracted it to my
desktop. However, now I am unable to delete the folder that it created. I
have deleted all the contents of the folder, but when I try to delete the
folder, I am told it is read-only, or is in use by another program. When I
go into the folder properties, the read-only box is highlighted (NOT
checked). I clear the box, apply, and still can't delete the dang folder. I
am running XP Pro with all the current updates. I am the administrator and
there are no other users.

Thanks!

----------
T. J. Wilkinson
http://www.teejer.net
A Resource of Mental Health News and Depression Support

dave

Hi,

I had this problem earlier this evenening, I fixed it by rebooting and hold
down the F8 key while starting. When you get a list of options choose to
start in DOS prompt only and you should be able to delete the file from
there manualy.

Before restarting find the full path to the folder, it will save haveing to
search from DOS.

Des.

"TJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I downloaded a zip file from the net to my desktop, and extracted it to my
> desktop. However, now I am unable to delete the folder that it created. I
> have deleted all the contents of the folder, but when I try to delete the
> folder, I am told it is read-only, or is in use by another program. When I
> go into the folder properties, the read-only box is highlighted (NOT
> checked). I clear the box, apply, and still can't delete the dang folder.

> am running XP Pro with all the current updates. I am the administrator and
> there are no other users.
>
> Thanks!
>
> ----------
> T. J. Wilkinson
> (E-Mail Removed)
> http://www.teejer.net
> A Resource of Mental Health News and Depression Support

°Mike°

HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP

How do I delete an 'undeletable' file
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm#del

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:45:50 -0800, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>