Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Cracking Up

Cracking Up

AK

I'm at my wits end, trying to connect to 24hours. It has taken me most of
the day to logon here. Now I know, Mike, and many others have told me to
stop using OE and that NTL is crap, well as far as I'm concerned it's not
crap, IT'S worse than CRAP! What can we, who are connected to NTL do about
this, and who do we complain to about their pathetic NEWS connections. There
must be something that can be done about this?

Brian H供

AK said:

> I'm at my wits end, trying to connect to 24hours. It has taken me most of
> the day to logon here. Now I know, Mike, and many others have told me to
> stop using OE and that NTL is crap, well as far as I'm concerned it's not
> crap, IT'S worse than CRAP! What can we, who are connected to NTL do about
> this, and who do we complain to about their pathetic NEWS connections. There
> must be something that can be done about this?

Stop using the binary servers, and connect via tex.news.ntlworld.com

Brian H供

Brian H供 said:

> AK said:
>
>> I'm at my wits end, trying to connect to 24hours. It has taken me most of
>> the day to logon here. Now I know, Mike, and many others have told me to
>> stop using OE and that NTL is crap, well as far as I'm concerned it's not
>> crap, IT'S worse than CRAP! What can we, who are connected to NTL do about
>> this, and who do we complain to about their pathetic NEWS connections. There
>> must be something that can be done about this?

> Stop using the binary servers, and connect via tex.news.ntlworld.com

text.news.ntlworld.com

癕ike

Try using the NTL text server: text.news.ntlworld.com

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:44:24 -0000, in
<BJTrb.899$(E-Mail Removed)>
AK scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

AK

My thanks to Mike/Brian, but how do I do what you say, 'change over'? It's
now 12:30am and I have been trying to logon here since about 10pm. As you
already know Mike, I'm a complete plonker when it comes to PCs I'm afraid I
just can't grasp how to do what you guys all take for granted. Might be old
age now 60+. Sorry to be such a pain, but it's very frustrating not being
able to fix things when they go wrong.
========
"癕ike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try using the NTL text server: text.news.ntlworld.com
>

> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:44:24 -0000, in
> <BJTrb.899$(E-Mail Removed)>
> AK scrawled:
>
> >I'm at my wits end, trying to connect to 24hours. It has taken me most of
> >the day to logon here. Now I know, Mike, and many others have told me to
> >stop using OE and that NTL is crap, well as far as I'm concerned it's not
> >crap, IT'S worse than CRAP! What can we, who are connected to NTL do

about
> >this, and who do we complain to about their pathetic NEWS connections.

There
> >must be something that can be done about this?
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Paul - xxx

To expand a tad on the suggestion to use text.news.ntlworld.com ..

In XP, Outlook Express 6 .....

Start by highlighting text.news.ntlworld.com, right clicking and selecting
COPY, this pastes the newsgroup server address into the clipboard for use in
a moment or two.

Left Click Tools on the menu bar at the top, then navigate via Accounts -
Add button - News .. to the point where the Internet Connection Wizard
starts and asks for your Username. Enter your Username and select NEXT,
then enter your email address and select NEXT, then at the next screen right
click in the "News (NNTP) Server" box, right click and select paste, which
should paste the news server address into the box. Finish - Close the
Internet Accounts box, then allow it to download the newsgroups lists .. et
voila..

Hope it helps ..

AK tried to scribble ...

> My thanks to Mike/Brian, but how do I do what you say, 'change over'?
> It's now 12:30am and I have been trying to logon here since about
> 10pm. As you already know Mike, I'm a complete plonker when it comes
> to PCs I'm afraid I just can't grasp how to do what you guys all take
> for granted. Might be old age now 60+. Sorry to be such a pain, but
> it's very frustrating not being able to fix things when they go wrong.
> ========
> "癕ike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Try using the NTL text server: text.news.ntlworld.com

--
Digweed

alexkaye

Thanks Paul, I'll give it a try later on, as it is no 12:45pm and I've just
managed to log on here.
=========
"Paul - xxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:boqkbs$1hoo4l$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> To expand a tad on the suggestion to use text.news.ntlworld.com ..
>
> In XP, Outlook Express 6 .....
>
> Start by highlighting text.news.ntlworld.com, right clicking and selecting
> COPY, this pastes the newsgroup server address into the clipboard for use

in
> a moment or two.
>
> Left Click Tools on the menu bar at the top, then navigate via Accounts -
> Add button - News .. to the point where the Internet Connection Wizard
> starts and asks for your Username. Enter your Username and select NEXT,
> then enter your email address and select NEXT, then at the next screen

right
> click in the "News (NNTP) Server" box, right click and select paste, which
> should paste the news server address into the box. Finish - Close the
> Internet Accounts box, then allow it to download the newsgroups lists ..

et
> voila..
>
> Hope it helps ..
>
> AK tried to scribble ...
>
> > My thanks to Mike/Brian, but how do I do what you say, 'change over'?
> > It's now 12:30am and I have been trying to logon here since about
> > 10pm. As you already know Mike, I'm a complete plonker when it comes
> > to PCs I'm afraid I just can't grasp how to do what you guys all take
> > for granted. Might be old age now 60+. Sorry to be such a pain, but
> > it's very frustrating not being able to fix things when they go wrong.
> > ========
> > "癕ike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Try using the NTL text server: text.news.ntlworld.com

> --
> Digweed

Paul - xxx

Just print the post out, and follow what it says, should take about three
minutes or less ..

You may need to right click, select properties, server, check the box and
enter your account username and password .. It's been a while since I was on
NTL and can't remember, frankly ..

Have fun.

alexkaye tried to scribble ...

> Thanks Paul, I'll give it a try later on, as it is no 12:45pm and
> I've just managed to log on here.
> =========
> "Paul - xxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:boqkbs$1hoo4l$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>> To expand a tad on the suggestion to use text.news.ntlworld.com ..
>>
>> In XP, Outlook Express 6 .....
>>
>> Start by highlighting text.news.ntlworld.com, right clicking and
>> selecting COPY, this pastes the newsgroup server address into the
>> clipboard for use in a moment or two.
>>
>> Left Click Tools on the menu bar at the top, then navigate via
>> Accounts - Add button - News .. to the point where the Internet
>> Connection Wizard starts and asks for your Username. Enter your
>> Username and select NEXT, then enter your email address and select
>> NEXT, then at the next screen right click in the "News (NNTP)
>> Server" box, right click and select paste, which should paste the
>> news server address into the box. Finish - Close the Internet
>> Accounts box, then allow it to download the newsgroups lists .. et
>> voila..
>>
>> Hope it helps ..
>>
>> AK tried to scribble ...
>>
>>> My thanks to Mike/Brian, but how do I do what you say, 'change
>>> over'? It's now 12:30am and I have been trying to logon here since
>>> about 10pm. As you already know Mike, I'm a complete plonker when
>>> it comes
>>> to PCs I'm afraid I just can't grasp how to do what you guys all
>>> take for granted. Might be old age now 60+. Sorry to be such a
>>> pain, but it's very frustrating not being able to fix things when
>>> they go wrong. ========
>>> "癕ike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> --
>> Digweed

Digweed

AK

Thanks for the detailed instructions Paul. I think that's it now, downloads
24hours very fast. I hope it lasts, as the, correct-connect part of NTL has
got a bar across it's icon in menu bar at the bottom of the screen, even
after I took a snapshot twice to try and update it. It still reads News as
having an error. It's annoying not knowing what it means, but I don't want
to press my luck.
=========
"Paul - xxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:boqm4k$1h6mhq$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Just print the post out, and follow what it says, should take about three
> minutes or less ..
>
> You may need to right click, select properties, server, check the box and
> enter your account username and password .. It's been a while since I was

on
> NTL and can't remember, frankly ..
>
> Have fun.
>
> alexkaye tried to scribble ...
>
> > Thanks Paul, I'll give it a try later on, as it is no 12:45pm and
> > I've just managed to log on here.
> > =========
> > "Paul - xxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:boqkbs$1hoo4l$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> >> To expand a tad on the suggestion to use text.news.ntlworld.com ..
> >>
> >> In XP, Outlook Express 6 .....
> >>
> >> Start by highlighting text.news.ntlworld.com, right clicking and
> >> selecting COPY, this pastes the newsgroup server address into the
> >> clipboard for use in a moment or two.
> >>
> >> Left Click Tools on the menu bar at the top, then navigate via
> >> Accounts - Add button - News .. to the point where the Internet
> >> Connection Wizard starts and asks for your Username. Enter your
> >> Username and select NEXT, then enter your email address and select
> >> NEXT, then at the next screen right click in the "News (NNTP)
> >> Server" box, right click and select paste, which should paste the
> >> news server address into the box. Finish - Close the Internet
> >> Accounts box, then allow it to download the newsgroups lists .. et
> >> voila..
> >>
> >> Hope it helps ..
> >>
> >> AK tried to scribble ...

> >> --