Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Surface Scan by Scandisk after improper shutdown

Surface Scan by Scandisk after improper shutdown

August Pamplona

Situation:

Windows 98 system which seems to want to run Scandisk to do a
surface scan on boot-up after each bad shutdown (normal behavior should
be, AFAIK, doing only the file system logical error checks but NOT the
surface scan). I have verified that no physical problems exist running
the Dos based Norton Disk Doctor on the thorough setting (the one that
lasts many hours).

Questions:

What might cause this behavior? The only thing I've found in a
preliminary Google search which might set Scandisk to always run the
surface scan is the configuration file 'scandisk.ini' but this was not
set in this way in the aforementioned Windows 98 system (and I don't
even think scandisk.ini is used under this circumstance --rather it
would be used when it is run from the command line with the '/CUSTOM'
parameter).

Am I asking the wrong question? Is there anything other than bad
sectors which would cause a surface scan to run? I understand there's a
bit flag (Microsoft calls it HrdErrBitMask) which can be set in the file
system which would make Scandisk run to do a surface scan. Would there
be any situations not involving actual physical errors which might
routinely cause this field to be set?

TIA,
August Pamplona
--
The waterfall in Java is not wet.
- omegazero2003 on m.f.w.

a.a. # 1811 apatriot #20 Eater of smut
To email replace 'necatoramericanusancylostomaduodenale' with
'cosmicaug'

DH

Try looking in the MSDOS.SYS file. You'll find the file in the root
directory of drive C:. You'll have to change the attributes of the file to
edit it, but you can look at it without changing anything. Sometimes Windows
will put a command in the file during a "hiccup" or "brain fart".

August Pamplona" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:%oErb.5892$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> Situation:
>
> Windows 98 system which seems to want to run Scandisk to do a
> surface scan on boot-up after each bad shutdown (normal behavior should
> be, AFAIK, doing only the file system logical error checks but NOT the
> surface scan). I have verified that no physical problems exist running
> the Dos based Norton Disk Doctor on the thorough setting (the one that
> lasts many hours).
>
> Questions:
>
> What might cause this behavior? The only thing I've found in a
> preliminary Google search which might set Scandisk to always run the
> surface scan is the configuration file 'scandisk.ini' but this was not
> set in this way in the aforementioned Windows 98 system (and I don't
> even think scandisk.ini is used under this circumstance --rather it
> would be used when it is run from the command line with the '/CUSTOM'
> parameter).
>
> Am I asking the wrong question? Is there anything other than bad
> sectors which would cause a surface scan to run? I understand there's a
> bit flag (Microsoft calls it HrdErrBitMask) which can be set in the file
> system which would make Scandisk run to do a surface scan. Would there
> be any situations not involving actual physical errors which might
> routinely cause this field to be set?
>
> TIA,
> August Pamplona
> --
> The waterfall in Java is not wet.
> - omegazero2003 on m.f.w.
>
> a.a. # 1811 apatriot #20 Eater of smut
> To email replace 'necatoramericanusancylostomaduodenale' with
> 'cosmicaug'

°Mike°

<crossposting snipped>

You may have a "scandisk.ini" file in your root directory
that stipulates to perform a surface scan. Check for
such a file and alter the parameters. The file usually
has hint text inside it.

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 04:23:23 GMT, in
<%oErb.5892$(E-Mail Removed) et>
August Pamplona scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

August Pamplona

"DH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try looking in the MSDOS.SYS file. You'll find the file in the root
> directory of drive C:. You'll have to change the attributes of the

file to
> edit it, but you can look at it without changing anything. Sometimes

Windows
> will put a command in the file during a "hiccup" or "brain fart".

There is a parameter in that file which controls whether Scandisk is
run after a bad shutdown and, if so, whether it will prompt the user
(see http://support.microsoft.com/support...Q118/5/79.asp). My
question is not addressed by that as my question doesn't deal with
Scandisk running after a bad shutdown (a good thing) but rather with the
annoyance Scandisk running the surface scan in this circumstance --which
in my experience with my computers is not normal (IOW, unless I'm the
one having a "brain fart" here, as far as I can remember, though
Scandisk will obviously run after a bad shutdown --if configured to do
so-- it should not run the surface scan).

August Pamplona
--
The waterfall in Java is not wet.
- omegazero2003 on m.f.w.

a.a. # 1811 apatriot #20 Eater of smut
To email replace 'necatoramericanusancylostomaduodenale' with
'cosmicaug'

> August Pamplona" <(E-Mail Removed)>

wrote in
> message news:%oErb.5892$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> > Situation:
> >
> > Windows 98 system which seems to want to run Scandisk to do a
> > surface scan on boot-up after each bad shutdown (normal behavior

should
> > be, AFAIK, doing only the file system logical error checks but NOT

the
> > surface scan). I have verified that no physical problems exist

running
> > the Dos based Norton Disk Doctor on the thorough setting (the one

that
> > lasts many hours).
> >
> > Questions:
> >
> > What might cause this behavior? The only thing I've found in a
> > preliminary Google search which might set Scandisk to always run the
> > surface scan is the configuration file 'scandisk.ini' but this was

not
> > set in this way in the aforementioned Windows 98 system (and I don't
> > even think scandisk.ini is used under this circumstance --rather it
> > would be used when it is run from the command line with the

'/CUSTOM'
> > parameter).
> >
> > Am I asking the wrong question? Is there anything other than bad
> > sectors which would cause a surface scan to run? I understand

there's a
> > bit flag (Microsoft calls it HrdErrBitMask) which can be set in the

file
> > system which would make Scandisk run to do a surface scan. Would

there
> > be any situations not involving actual physical errors which might
> > routinely cause this field to be set?
> >
> > TIA,
> > August Pamplona
> > --
> > The waterfall in Java is not wet.
> > - omegazero2003 on m.f.w.
> >
> > a.a. # 1811 apatriot #20 Eater of smut
> > To email replace 'necatoramericanusancylostomaduodenale' with
> > 'cosmicaug'

August Pamplona

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> <crossposting snipped>
>
> You may have a "scandisk.ini" file in your root directory
> that stipulates to perform a surface scan. Check for
> such a file and alter the parameters. The file usually
> has hint text inside it.

No such file there. There was such a file in the windows\command
directory (as well as some cab directory) and it had the 'surface'
parameter on the 'custom' section set to 'never' .

August Pamplona
--
The waterfall in Java is not wet.
- omegazero2003 on m.f.w.

a.a. # 1811 apatriot #20 Eater of smut
To email replace 'necatoramericanusancylostomaduodenale' with
'cosmicaug'

> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 04:23:23 GMT, in
> <%oErb.5892$(E-Mail Removed) et>
> August Pamplona scrawled:
>
> >Situation:
> >
> > Windows 98 system which seems to want to run Scandisk to do a
> >surface scan on boot-up after each bad shutdown (normal behavior

should
> >be, AFAIK, doing only the file system logical error checks but NOT

the
> >surface scan). I have verified that no physical problems exist

running
> >the Dos based Norton Disk Doctor on the thorough setting (the one

that
> >lasts many hours).
> >
> >Questions:
> >
> > What might cause this behavior? The only thing I've found in a
> >preliminary Google search which might set Scandisk to always run the
> >surface scan is the configuration file 'scandisk.ini' but this was

not
> >set in this way in the aforementioned Windows 98 system (and I don't
> >even think scandisk.ini is used under this circumstance --rather it
> >would be used when it is run from the command line with the '/CUSTOM'
> >parameter).
> >
> > Am I asking the wrong question? Is there anything other than bad
> >sectors which would cause a surface scan to run? I understand there's

> >bit flag (Microsoft calls it HrdErrBitMask) which can be set in the

file
> >system which would make Scandisk run to do a surface scan. Would

there
> >be any situations not involving actual physical errors which might
> >routinely cause this field to be set?
> >
> >TIA,
> >August Pamplona

°Mike°

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:20:55 GMT, in
<XiTrb.8500$(E-Mail Removed). net>
August Pamplona scrawled:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> <crossposting snipped>
>>
>> You may have a "scandisk.ini" file in your root directory
>> that stipulates to perform a surface scan. Check for
>> such a file and alter the parameters. The file usually
>> has hint text inside it.

> No such file there. There was such a file in the windows\command
>directory (as well as some cab directory) and it had the 'surface'
>parameter on the 'custom' section set to 'never' .
>
>August Pamplona

Boot into DOS from a floppy with CD support, rename
win.com and extract a fresh copy. Win.com is what
calls scandisk.

Creating a New Win.com File When You Cannot Start Windows

Basic computer maintenance

Ben Myers

It is my understanding that Windows 98 runs scandisk with the "/custom" and
"/simpleui" switch after a bad shutdown. I suggest editing "scandisk.ini".

Ben

August Pamplona <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:%oErb.5892$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> Situation:
>
> Windows 98 system which seems to want to run Scandisk to do a
> surface scan on boot-up after each bad shutdown (normal behavior should
> be, AFAIK, doing only the file system logical error checks but NOT the
> surface scan). I have verified that no physical problems exist running
> the Dos based Norton Disk Doctor on the thorough setting (the one that
> lasts many hours).
>
> Questions:
>
> What might cause this behavior? The only thing I've found in a
> preliminary Google search which might set Scandisk to always run the
> surface scan is the configuration file 'scandisk.ini' but this was not
> set in this way in the aforementioned Windows 98 system (and I don't
> even think scandisk.ini is used under this circumstance --rather it
> would be used when it is run from the command line with the '/CUSTOM'
> parameter).
>
> Am I asking the wrong question? Is there anything other than bad
> sectors which would cause a surface scan to run? I understand there's a
> bit flag (Microsoft calls it HrdErrBitMask) which can be set in the file
> system which would make Scandisk run to do a surface scan. Would there
> be any situations not involving actual physical errors which might
> routinely cause this field to be set?
>
> TIA,
> August Pamplona
> --
> The waterfall in Java is not wet.
> - omegazero2003 on m.f.w.
>
> a.a. # 1811 apatriot #20 Eater of smut
> To email replace 'necatoramericanusancylostomaduodenale' with
> 'cosmicaug'

August Pamplona

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:20:55 GMT, in
> <XiTrb.8500$(E-Mail Removed). net>
> August Pamplona scrawled:
>
> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> <crossposting snipped>
> >>
> >> You may have a "scandisk.ini" file in your root directory
> >> that stipulates to perform a surface scan. Check for
> >> such a file and alter the parameters. The file usually
> >> has hint text inside it.

> > No such file there. There was such a file in the windows\command
> >directory (as well as some cab directory) and it had the 'surface'
> >parameter on the 'custom' section set to 'never' .
> >
> >August Pamplona

> Boot into DOS from a floppy with CD support, rename
> win.com and extract a fresh copy. Win.com is what
> calls scandisk.

Why would win.com ever get changed? And if it was attributable an
instance of some sort of random corruption, how could Windows still
remain bootable?

August Pamplona
--
The waterfall in Java is not wet.
- omegazero2003 on m.f.w.

a.a. # 1811 apatriot #20 Eater of smut
To email replace 'necatoramericanusancylostomaduodenale' with
'cosmicaug'

> Creating a New Win.com File When You Cannot Start Windows

> Basic computer maintenance

August Pamplona

"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZUTrb.22121$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
> It is my understanding that Windows 98 runs scandisk with the

"/custom" and
> "/simpleui" switch after a bad shutdown. I suggest editing

"scandisk.ini".

> Ben

I sit corrected (the '/simpleui' switch is undocumented but it is
also right there in 'Win.com' along with '/custom'). Yet scandisk.ini
was set not to run a surface scan.

August Pamplona
--
The waterfall in Java is not wet.
- omegazero2003 on m.f.w.

a.a. # 1811 apatriot #20 Eater of smut
To email replace 'necatoramericanusancylostomaduodenale' with
'cosmicaug'

> August Pamplona <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in message

news:%oErb.5892$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> > Situation:
> >
> > Windows 98 system which seems to want to run Scandisk to do a
> > surface scan on boot-up after each bad shutdown (normal behavior

should
> > be, AFAIK, doing only the file system logical error checks but NOT

the
> > surface scan). I have verified that no physical problems exist

running
> > the Dos based Norton Disk Doctor on the thorough setting (the one

that
> > lasts many hours).
> >
> > Questions:
> >
> > What might cause this behavior? The only thing I've found in a
> > preliminary Google search which might set Scandisk to always run the
> > surface scan is the configuration file 'scandisk.ini' but this was

not
> > set in this way in the aforementioned Windows 98 system (and I don't
> > even think scandisk.ini is used under this circumstance --rather it
> > would be used when it is run from the command line with the

'/CUSTOM'
> > parameter).
> >
> > Am I asking the wrong question? Is there anything other than bad
> > sectors which would cause a surface scan to run? I understand

there's a
> > bit flag (Microsoft calls it HrdErrBitMask) which can be set in the

file
> > system which would make Scandisk run to do a surface scan. Would

there
> > be any situations not involving actual physical errors which might
> > routinely cause this field to be set?
> >
> > TIA,
> > August Pamplona
> > --
> > The waterfall in Java is not wet.
> > - omegazero2003 on m.f.w.
> >
> > a.a. # 1811 apatriot #20 Eater of smut
> > To email replace 'necatoramericanusancylostomaduodenale' with
> > 'cosmicaug'

°Mike°

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 23:52:44 GMT, in
<gDesb.9823$(E-Mail Removed) et>
August Pamplona scrawled:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:20:55 GMT, in
>> <XiTrb.8500$(E-Mail Removed). net>
>> August Pamplona scrawled:
>>
>> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > No such file there. There was such a file in the windows\command
>> >directory (as well as some cab directory) and it had the 'surface'
>> >parameter on the 'custom' section set to 'never' .
>> >
>> >August Pamplona

>> Boot into DOS from a floppy with CD support, rename
>> win.com and extract a fresh copy. Win.com is what
>> calls scandisk.

> Why would win.com ever get changed? And if it was attributable an
>instance of some sort of random corruption, how could Windows still
>remain bootable?

Applications, such as Norton Utilities, can change win.com to
point to their own routines. It's most likely not a corruption,
rather a change to the options.

--
Basic computer maintenance