Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > app to stop and start services on a timer

app to stop and start services on a timer

brian

Is there a windows based app to start and stop a service? the batch files
are hanging to much. I need to stop some services for a backup? I need to
turn them back on with a timer.

Thanks in advance

brian

Frederic

on which operating system?

you can also use sc.exe utility
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBA/tip0400/rh0465.htm

but scripts should work fine

you can use msdos batch files
on NT and 2K the net stop/start command runs fine and is as fast as doing it
manually with the graphical interface.

C:\Documents and Settings\Fred>net stop "print spooler"
The Print Spooler service is stopping.
The Print Spooler service was stopped successfully.

C:\Documents and Settings\Fred>net start "print spooler"
The Print Spooler service is starting.
The Print Spooler service was started successfully.

you can also use Windows Script Host
http://www.winnetmag.com/WindowsScri...280/21280.html
http://www.microsoft.com/scripting

--
Frederic
MCP, i-Net+, CIWA, A+

"brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XZwrb.5361$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> Is there a windows based app to start and stop a service? the batch files
> are hanging to much. I need to stop some services for a backup? I need to
> turn them back on with a timer.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> brian

brian

Thanks for the info, it is windows 2000 server.
my customer is having problems backing up there server because Sybase
service is running. I setup a batch file with a timer to stop the sybase
service and start the service but 2 to 3 times a week is seems to hang on
them, So I would like to use a windows app that will stop the service at
12:00am - 5:00am and start the service automatically at 6:00am.

Thanks again,

Brian

"Frederic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ANArb.19639$(E-Mail Removed)...
> on which operating system?
>
> you can also use sc.exe utility
> http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBA/tip0400/rh0465.htm
>
> but scripts should work fine
>
> you can use msdos batch files
> on NT and 2K the net stop/start command runs fine and is as fast as doing

it
> manually with the graphical interface.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Fred>net stop "print spooler"
> The Print Spooler service is stopping.
> The Print Spooler service was stopped successfully.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Fred>net start "print spooler"
> The Print Spooler service is starting.
> The Print Spooler service was started successfully.
>
> you can also use Windows Script Host

http://www.winnetmag.com/WindowsScri...280/21280.html
> http://www.microsoft.com/scripting
>
> --
> Frederic
> MCP, i-Net+, CIWA, A+
> member of: CompTIA-ITPRO, HDI, IETF
> http://fredsfastcram.netfirms.com
>

> "brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:XZwrb.5361$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> > Is there a windows based app to start and stop a service? the batch

files
> > are hanging to much. I need to stop some services for a backup? I need

> > turn them back on with a timer.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > brian

Frederic

Then you should use pstools from sysinternals with windows scheduler
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr...sservice.shtml
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr.../pstools.shtml

--
Frederic
MCP, i-Net+, CIWA, A+
member of: CompTIA-ITPRO, HDI, IETF
http://fredsfastcram.netfirms.com

news:XiBrb.5702$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...