Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Difference between Domain and Workgroup

Difference between Domain and Workgroup

Steve Freides

I have always used Novell Netware for networking but am setting up a
Windows-based network because I'm now going to be running SQL Server. Do I
want my main computer, the one that will run SQL Server, to be a member of a
domain or a workgroup? The default seems to be a workgroup named
"workgroup."

My Netware environment will continue otherwise unchanged.

Many thanks in advance.

-S-

Thund3rstruck

Steve Freides Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
proclaimed in <bojc5a$1f121q$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>:

> I have always used Novell Netware for networking but am setting up a
> Windows-based network because I'm now going to be running SQL
> Server. Do I want my main computer, the one that will run SQL
> Server, to be a member of a
> domain or a workgroup? The default seems to be a workgroup named
> "workgroup."
>
> My Netware environment will continue otherwise unchanged.
>
> Many thanks in advance.

Do you have a Windows server, such as NT4, or Windows 2000 that is
a Domain Controller?

If no, then no you don't. <G>

Novell had (as of 4 years ago) something called Directory Services.
Think of a Windows domain as something similar...

NOI

Steve Freides

"Thund3rstruck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fad4af8$0$92709$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Steve Freides Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
> proclaimed in <bojc5a$1f121q$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>:
>
> > I have always used Novell Netware for networking but am setting up a
> > Windows-based network because I'm now going to be running SQL
> > Server. Do I want my main computer, the one that will run SQL
> > Server, to be a member of a
> > domain or a workgroup? The default seems to be a workgroup named
> > "workgroup."
> >
> > My Netware environment will continue otherwise unchanged.
> >
> > Many thanks in advance.

> Do you have a Windows server, such as NT4, or Windows 2000 that is
> a Domain Controller?
>
> If no, then no you don't. <G>
>
> Novell had (as of 4 years ago) something called Directory Services.
> Think of a Windows domain as something similar...
>
> NOI

Novell still very much has directory services.

I don't have a Windows server at all - can my workstation be a Domain
Controller or do I need a dedicated server?

TIA.

-S-

why?

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 13:20:25 -0500, Steve Freides wrote:

>I have always used Novell Netware for networking but am setting up a
>Windows-based network because I'm now going to be running SQL Server. Do I
>want my main computer, the one that will run SQL Server, to be a member of a
>domain or a workgroup? The default seems to be a workgroup named
>"workgroup."

A domain, (basically) is a collection of NT Servers that provide central
resources -

Account database (shared permissions to resources), print server , web
server, file server. This requires a NT server configured as a Domain
controller (at least another as a backup controller) then any number of
standalone servers.

The workgroup option is pretty much the same, can be any number of
machines running 'services'. However it has a non-central security
model, each machine has it's own user database.

It's been a long time, since using SQL (the MS version) server in a
domain model, the access was allowed via authenticated domain accounts
or a member of a specific usergroup (in the domain account manager).
I think this should not affect access to a SQL database, if the machine
is simply a workgroup member. IIRC has it's own usernames/password, but
best to check in a NG like.

microsoft.public.sqlserver.server

<snip>

Me