Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > what is crss message defender popup please

what is crss message defender popup please

Wizard

windows xp, norton, webroot spysweeper, adsl, kazaa-lite.

I keep getting a popup telling me that my system is vunerable to popups and
links to a site selling software to prevent popups. when I pull up task
manager it points to crss.exe. If I try to stop the process it tells me it
cannot and I dont want to go and delete it manually if its something
important. Have any of you guys had this happen and how did you deal with
it. Norton misses it, spyware detection progs miss it so is it something
else?
Thanks people
Wiz

°Mike°

Here is my canned response about messenger pop-ups:

You should install a firewall, since the messenger service
uses ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
firewall.

To prevent the Messenger service from starting automatically,
open the Services panel by typing...

services.msc /s

....into the Start / Run box.
In the right-hand pane highlight 'Messenger'.
Right click and choose 'Properties'.
Click the 'Stop' button.
From the 'Startup Type' drop down, choose 'Disabled' or 'Manual'.
'Apply / Ok'.

More information:

Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet
Advertisement Appears

Windows Messages
http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger
Service
http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/m...erService.html

How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
XP-Based Computer

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...e/stopspam.asp

Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

Firewalls:
------------
Outpost

Sygate
http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

Zone Alarm
http://www.zonelabs.com/

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 12:07:06 -0000, in
<boim96$hfv$(E-Mail Removed)>
Wizard scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Patrick

Wizard wrote:
> windows xp, norton, webroot spysweeper, adsl, kazaa-lite.
>
> I keep getting a popup telling me that my system is vunerable to
> popups and links to a site selling software to prevent popups. when I
> pull up task manager it points to crss.exe. If I try to stop the
> process it tells me it cannot and I dont want to go and delete it
> manually if its something important. Have any of you guys had this
> happen and how did you deal with it. Norton misses it, spyware
> detection progs miss it so is it something else?
> Thanks people
> Wiz

I do not have 'crss.exe' on my XP-HE, as far as I can see it should only be
on a WinNT machine.
On this 'Symantec' page (link below), said file is mentioned as being
associated with a trojan.
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...lw.nautic.html

Perhaps try an online VirusScan.
Free-Online-Virus-Scan
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Free-Security-Scan

Free-Trojan-Scan
http://www.trojanscan.com/

Wizard

I sorted it. I am on xp pro and it was a windows messenger thing, there is a
newer thread with the cure posted in this ng.
Thanks anyway
Wiz

"Patrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qF6rb.213$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wizard wrote:
> > windows xp, norton, webroot spysweeper, adsl, kazaa-lite.
> >
> > I keep getting a popup telling me that my system is vunerable to
> > popups and links to a site selling software to prevent popups. when I
> > pull up task manager it points to crss.exe. If I try to stop the
> > process it tells me it cannot and I dont want to go and delete it
> > manually if its something important. Have any of you guys had this
> > happen and how did you deal with it. Norton misses it, spyware
> > detection progs miss it so is it something else?
> > Thanks people
> > Wiz

> I do not have 'crss.exe' on my XP-HE, as far as I can see it should only

be
> on a WinNT machine.
> On this 'Symantec' page (link below), said file is mentioned as being
> associated with a trojan.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...lw.nautic.html

> Perhaps try an online VirusScan.
> Free-Online-Virus-Scan
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
> http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp
>
> Free-Security-Scan
> http://scan.sygatetech.com/prestealthscan.html
>
> Free-Trojan-Scan
> http://www.trojanscan.com/

MS Antispyware Beta2 (Defender) The Rev [MCT] MCSE 42 02-27-2006 09:32 PM
Info about CRSs Neo VHDL 0 01-09-2006 05:52 PM
PIX - Flood Defender grzybek Cisco 1 02-23-2004 08:49 PM
Re: web defender °Mike° Computer Support 0 08-03-2003 04:06 PM

Advertisments