Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > paranoia... much too much

Reply
Thread Tools

paranoia... much too much

 
 
adcl
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2003
In order to be safe a friends tells me I need all these programmes. Although
I agree with some, in other case I feel this is getting paranoid and\with a
likely duplication of tasks:
- TDS-3 (for trojan)
- AVG 7
- Housecall (on line)
- Diskeeper
- Ad-aware
- Spybot search & destroy
- Window washer
- System mechanic
- Easy clean (2.0 beta)
- HD valet
- Mail washer
- Privacy Manager
- XP firewall
- Zone Alarm


Ok, my friend actually has a panic room in his house and an anti nuclear
bunker in his back garden.... but surely, this is much to much.... for a
home user at least.
or am I too lax over security?
adcl


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
SSeaW
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2003
your friends are GEEKS!


"adcl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:722rb.2895$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In order to be safe a friends tells me I need all these programmes.

Although
> I agree with some, in other case I feel this is getting paranoid and\with

a
> likely duplication of tasks:
> - TDS-3 (for trojan)
> - AVG 7
> - Housecall (on line)
> - Diskeeper
> - Ad-aware
> - Spybot search & destroy
> - Window washer
> - System mechanic
> - Easy clean (2.0 beta)
> - HD valet
> - Mail washer
> - Privacy Manager
> - XP firewall
> - Zone Alarm
>
>
> Ok, my friend actually has a panic room in his house and an anti nuclear
> bunker in his back garden.... but surely, this is much to much.... for a
> home user at least.
> or am I too lax over security?
> adcl
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Avenger©
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2003
Your friend needs to take a couple of sedatives and chill out. Has he
been smokin' too much of that happy weed?



On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 08:44:54 -0000, "adcl"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In order to be safe a friends tells me I need all these programmes. Although
>I agree with some, in other case I feel this is getting paranoid and\with a
>likely duplication of tasks:
>- TDS-3 (for trojan)
>- AVG 7
>- Housecall (on line)
>- Diskeeper
>- Ad-aware
>- Spybot search & destroy
>- Window washer
>- System mechanic
>- Easy clean (2.0 beta)
>- HD valet
>- Mail washer
>- Privacy Manager
>- XP firewall
>- Zone Alarm
>
>
>Ok, my friend actually has a panic room in his house and an anti nuclear
>bunker in his back garden.... but surely, this is much to much.... for a
>home user at least.
>or am I too lax over security?
>adcl
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Graham
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2003
You're probably gonna end up with some errors to do with file sharing -
Programs that do the same thing probably use the same files lol

"adcl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:722rb.2895$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In order to be safe a friends tells me I need all these programmes.

Although
> I agree with some, in other case I feel this is getting paranoid and\with

a
> likely duplication of tasks:
> - TDS-3 (for trojan)
> - AVG 7
> - Housecall (on line)
> - Diskeeper
> - Ad-aware
> - Spybot search & destroy
> - Window washer
> - System mechanic
> - Easy clean (2.0 beta)
> - HD valet
> - Mail washer
> - Privacy Manager
> - XP firewall
> - Zone Alarm
>
>
> Ok, my friend actually has a panic room in his house and an anti nuclear
> bunker in his back garden.... but surely, this is much to much.... for a
> home user at least.
> or am I too lax over security?
> adcl
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Gadget
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2003
Too Much. Some are duplicating each other.
I have tries all but TDS-3 (for trojan), mail washer and Privacy Manager
I recommend and use:
Diskeeper - You Need It.
Ad-aware - A MUST
Spybot search & destroy
Window washer
System mechanic - Highly recommend
Zone Alarm

I also like E-Trust EZ Anti Virus

If you are running these you are 99% invincible.


"adcl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:722rb.2895$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In order to be safe a friends tells me I need all these programmes.

Although
> I agree with some, in other case I feel this is getting paranoid and\with

a
> likely duplication of tasks:
> - TDS-3 (for trojan)
> - TDS-3 (for trojan)
> - Housecall (on line)
> - Diskeeper
> - Ad-aware
> - Spybot search & destroy
> - Window washer
> - System mechanic
> - Easy clean (2.0 beta)
> - HD valet
> - Mail washer
> - Privacy Manager
> - XP firewall
> - Zone Alarm
>
>
> Ok, my friend actually has a panic room in his house and an anti nuclear
> bunker in his back garden.... but surely, this is much to much.... for a
> home user at least.
> or am I too lax over security?
> adcl
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Gadget
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2003
Name calling does not help anyone.

Got to get back to organizing my favorites and my dual monitor system on the
third network hub is down. I've got a LAN partly tomorrow and this is a
serious problem.

Ta


"SSeaW" <SSeaW AT comcast DOT net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> your friends are GEEKS!
>
>
> "adcl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:722rb.2895$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In order to be safe a friends tells me I need all these programmes.

> Although
> > I agree with some, in other case I feel this is getting paranoid

and\with
> a
> > likely duplication of tasks:
> > - TDS-3 (for trojan)
> > - AVG 7
> > - Housecall (on line)
> > - Diskeeper
> > - Ad-aware
> > - Spybot search & destroy
> > - Window washer
> > - System mechanic
> > - Easy clean (2.0 beta)
> > - HD valet
> > - Mail washer
> > - Privacy Manager
> > - XP firewall
> > - Zone Alarm
> >
> >
> > Ok, my friend actually has a panic room in his house and an anti nuclear
> > bunker in his back garden.... but surely, this is much to much.... for a
> > home user at least.
> > or am I too lax over security?
> > adcl
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
adcl
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2003
they might be geeks but far less judgemental and more accepting of others
than you.
If that's how you choose to advise people who might not have your level of
knowledge..... well I feel sorry for them.... and for you
"SSeaW" <SSeaW AT comcast DOT net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> your friends are GEEKS!
>
>
> "adcl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:722rb.2895$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In order to be safe a friends tells me I need all these programmes.

> Although
> > I agree with some, in other case I feel this is getting paranoid

and\with
> a
> > likely duplication of tasks:
> > - TDS-3 (for trojan)
> > - AVG 7
> > - Housecall (on line)
> > - Diskeeper
> > - Ad-aware
> > - Spybot search & destroy
> > - Window washer
> > - System mechanic
> > - Easy clean (2.0 beta)
> > - HD valet
> > - Mail washer
> > - Privacy Manager
> > - XP firewall
> > - Zone Alarm
> >
> >
> > Ok, my friend actually has a panic room in his house and an anti nuclear
> > bunker in his back garden.... but surely, this is much to much.... for a
> > home user at least.
> > or am I too lax over security?
> > adcl
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Gadget
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2003
Try posting under the post you are attacking.
- if it is me, your screwed up, look for my recommendations here:
news(E-Mail Removed)

Gadget

"adcl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Jb3rb.78$(E-Mail Removed)...
> they might be geeks but far less judgemental and more accepting of others
> than you.
> If that's how you choose to advise people who might not have your level of
> knowledge..... well I feel sorry for them.... and for you
> "SSeaW" <SSeaW AT comcast DOT net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > your friends are GEEKS!
> >
> >
> > "adcl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:722rb.2895$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > In order to be safe a friends tells me I need all these programmes.

> > Although
> > > I agree with some, in other case I feel this is getting paranoid

> and\with
> > a
> > > likely duplication of tasks:
> > > - TDS-3 (for trojan)
> > > - AVG 7
> > > - Housecall (on line)
> > > - Diskeeper
> > > - Ad-aware
> > > - Spybot search & destroy
> > > - Window washer
> > > - System mechanic
> > > - Easy clean (2.0 beta)
> > > - HD valet
> > > - Mail washer
> > > - Privacy Manager
> > > - XP firewall
> > > - Zone Alarm
> > >
> > >
> > > Ok, my friend actually has a panic room in his house and an anti

nuclear
> > > bunker in his back garden.... but surely, this is much to much.... for

a
> > > home user at least.
> > > or am I too lax over security?
> > > adcl
> > >
> > >

> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2003
On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 08:44:54 -0000, in
<722rb.2895$(E-Mail Removed)>
adcl scrawled:

>In order to be safe a friends tells me I need all these programmes. Although
>I agree with some, in other case I feel this is getting paranoid and\with a
>likely duplication of tasks:
>- TDS-3 (for trojan)


A good program, but not absolutely necessary with good
system maintenance, and safe hex practices.

Safe Hex
http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html


>- AVG 7


An antivirus is a must, but I suggest a FAR better alternative.
http://www.my-etrust.com/products/Antivirus.cfm


>- Housecall (on line)


This, also, is a must, as an alternative virus scanner, particularly
if your installed program gets crippled. Be sure to update it
regularly, too.


>- Diskeeper


Not necessary.


>- Ad-aware
>- Spybot search & destroy


Both of the above are free, and are indispensable.


>- Window washer


Paranoia-ware. Not needed.


>- System mechanic


Not a necessity.


>- Easy clean (2.0 beta)
>- HD valet


Both excellent, free clean-up utilities. Keepers.
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html


>- Mail washer


Limited to one account in the free version. Try Magic Mail Monitor.
http://mmm3.sourceforge.net/


>- Privacy Manager


Paranoia-ware. Not needed.


>- XP firewall


Not needed with Zone Alarm installed.


>- Zone Alarm
>
>
>Ok, my friend actually has a panic room in his house and an anti nuclear
>bunker in his back garden.... but surely, this is much to much.... for a
>home user at least.
>or am I too lax over security?
>adcl
>


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
gangle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2003
"°Mike°" wrote
> On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 08:44:54 -0000, in
> adcl scrawled:
>
> >In order to be safe a friends tells me I need all these programmes. Although
> >I agree with some, in other case I feel this is getting paranoid and\with a
> >likely duplication of tasks:
> >- TDS-3 (for trojan)

>
> A good program, but not absolutely necessary with good
> system maintenance, and safe hex practices.
>
> Safe Hex
> http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html


I practiced safe hex, but it didn't prevent my penis from
falling off that night on my tractor. Hmmph.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Too Much Talent + Too Much Demand = ? Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 5 02-18-2011 10:14 PM
Too much spamming here to be of much use me thinks cpp4ever C++ 3 09-08-2009 02:08 PM
How much image manipulation is too much? Rich Digital Photography 30 03-19-2006 08:52 AM
Simulation questions...how much is too much? =?Utf-8?B?VGlwcHk=?= Microsoft Certification 0 04-16-2005 04:47 AM
CPU Heat--how much is too much? PowerPost2000 Computer Support 4 12-22-2003 12:40 AM



Advertisments