Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > CPU upgrade

CPU upgrade

Terry

Right now I have the PII 450 CPU in there so I need the PC100 RAM now as
that first guy said right? 350 and higher CPUs need the PC100 RAM yes?

Terry
GHalleck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Terry wrote:
>
> > Ok, so I had to lie, I actually upgraded from a 333MHz CPU. See why

that
> > Ford Pinto guy was joking? But it still was a 266 way back. Is it

possible
> > that the PII 333 could use a 66MHz bus? cuz the store that sold me the

PC
> > said it uses PC100 RAM now that I think of it.
> >
> > Terry

> The BX chipset can support either PC-66 or PC-100 memory. However,
> there is no reason to install PC-100 memory with either a 266 MHz or a
> 333 MHz CPU. And PC-100 memory would have not been installed unless
> its extra cost had been paid for...did you?

Terry

Don't I need to backup the registry when I reinstall Windows? There's no
point in saving the program files folder if the registry isn't backed up?

Terry
docmill <docmill@nyet_excited.com;up> wrote in message
news:Xns942CCF43BFDA7docmillexcitenyetcom@216.168. 3.44...
> "Terry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
> > It passes the POST test. The standard 1 beep I'm OK POST. I'm running
> > Windows 98. It's a clean install that I done last year. Didn't upgrade
> > the OS.
> >

> <snip>
>
> Try and reload WIn 98 on top of itself. IFRC, you can rename the Programs
> Files folder in 98 from Windows or a DOS prompt. Any way you can manage

it,
> save the program files folder, and then reinstall the WIN98. When it's

done,
> you need to get rid of the new Programs File folder and put back the old

one.
> And of course, Windows Media Player 9 won't let you install the OS without
> puking up some of their files, but that's only if you had the mustard and
> downed that dog.
>
> --
> +++++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++
> Docmill's "Home of Hot Links in the FryingSpam"
> No Lemmings or pseudo-plonkers were amused by this post, but I tried.

Terry

I still need help. Could somebody please answer this? Do 350MHz CPUs and
higher really need the PC100 RAM?

Terry
Terry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Right now I have the PII 450 CPU in there so I need the PC100 RAM now as
> that first guy said right? 350 and higher CPUs need the PC100 RAM yes?
>
> Terry
> GHalleck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > Terry wrote:
> >
> > > Ok, so I had to lie, I actually upgraded from a 333MHz CPU. See why

> that
> > > Ford Pinto guy was joking? But it still was a 266 way back. Is it

> possible
> > > that the PII 333 could use a 66MHz bus? cuz the store that sold me

the
> PC
> > > said it uses PC100 RAM now that I think of it.
> > >
> > > Terry

> > The BX chipset can support either PC-66 or PC-100 memory. However,
> > there is no reason to install PC-100 memory with either a 266 MHz or a
> > 333 MHz CPU. And PC-100 memory would have not been installed unless
> > its extra cost had been paid for...did you?

Shel-hed

Yes, absolutely. That is what alexandrew's first response was all about. It was my
first guess too. Note that it applies to PIIs, not Celerons. Celerons use(d) a 66mhz
bus until 800mhz, then they changed to 100mhz.

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 20:01:55 GMT, "Terry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>I still need help. Could somebody please answer this? Do 350MHz CPUs and
>higher really need the PC100 RAM?
>
>Terry
>Terry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Right now I have the PII 450 CPU in there so I need the PC100 RAM now as
>> that first guy said right? 350 and higher CPUs need the PC100 RAM yes?
>>
>> Terry
>> GHalleck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> that

>> possible

>the
>> PC

>> > The BX chipset can support either PC-66 or PC-100 memory. However,
>> > there is no reason to install PC-100 memory with either a 266 MHz or a
>> > 333 MHz CPU. And PC-100 memory would have not been installed unless
>> > its extra cost had been paid for...did you?

docmill

> Don't I need to backup the registry when I reinstall Windows? There's no
> point in saving the program files folder if the registry isn't backed up?

No, you don't need a backup. Might be wise, but this isn't going that way.
The registry isn't going to forget what you have installed. This is just
about as ///// **** It/// If you Reformat and Reinstall you are starting
over. If you install over the existing setup, your registry and setup will
not change, thus the need to preserve the program folder.