Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > CPU upgrade

CPU upgrade

Terry

Hello,

I upgraded a PII 266 CPU to a PII 450 CPU on a P6I440BX/B1 motherboard with
Brilliant-I BIOS V1.0SL. I know that it supports the CPU because it's a BX
chipset. I went into the BIOS and changed the Speed Easy CPU speed to match
the processor speed. I didn't change anything else. No other hardware
changes other than the new CPU and no software changes.

The problem I'm having with the new configuration is that everything keeps
crashing. My programs get an illegal operation and must be shut down error
message and I also get some blue screens. I checked to see if there needed
to be any jumper settings changed but the only jumper I see is to clear the
CMOS. I also checked the CPU temperature and it's holding steady at 37
degrees celsius.

Please post your reply here or reply without the dots before the @.
Thank You

-Lone_Wolf-

Terry wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I upgraded a PII 266 CPU to a PII 450 CPU on a P6I440BX/B1
> motherboard with Brilliant-I BIOS V1.0SL.

That's like upgrading from a AMC Gremlin to a Ford Pinto (or would it be the
other way around?)

alexandrew

your PII- 266 is 66MHz bus but your pII-450 is 100MHz bus, so I would say
check your memory , or better change your memory to 100MHz bus(you must
have 66MHz memory).
Post back the finding.

..
"Terry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I upgraded a PII 266 CPU to a PII 450 CPU on a P6I440BX/B1 motherboard

with
> Brilliant-I BIOS V1.0SL. I know that it supports the CPU because it's a

BX
> chipset. I went into the BIOS and changed the Speed Easy CPU speed to

match
> the processor speed. I didn't change anything else. No other hardware
> changes other than the new CPU and no software changes.
>
> The problem I'm having with the new configuration is that everything keeps
> crashing. My programs get an illegal operation and must be shut down

error
> message and I also get some blue screens. I checked to see if there

needed
> to be any jumper settings changed but the only jumper I see is to clear

the
> CMOS. I also checked the CPU temperature and it's holding steady at 37
> degrees celsius.
>
> Please post your reply here or reply without the dots before the @.
> Thank You

docmill

"Terry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Hello,
>
> I upgraded a PII 266 CPU to a PII 450 CPU on a P6I440BX/B1 motherboard
> with Brilliant-I BIOS V1.0SL. I know that it supports the CPU because
> it's a BX chipset. I went into the BIOS and changed the Speed Easy CPU
> speed to match the processor speed. I didn't change anything else. No
> other hardware changes other than the new CPU and no software changes.
>
> The problem I'm having with the new configuration is that everything
> keeps crashing. My programs get an illegal operation and must be shut
> down error message and I also get some blue screens. I checked to see
> if there needed to be any jumper settings changed but the only jumper I
> see is to clear the CMOS. I also checked the CPU temperature and it's
> holding steady at 37 degrees celsius.
>
> Please post your reply here or reply without the dots before the @.
> Thank You

It start's up and POST's OK? No Beeps? What OS are you not being able to
run? You didn't upgrade the OS and forget the file system at one time?

--
+++++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++
Docmill's "Home of Hot Links in the FryingSpam"

Terry

Do you mean to physically change the RAM I have inside the PC or just change
a setting in the BIOS? I have a EDO SDRAM Speed Selection which can go to
50ns or 60ns. I couldn't find anything in the BIOS about the clock speed of
the RAM.

Terry
alexandrew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YjZqb.27641$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> your PII- 266 is 66MHz bus but your pII-450 is 100MHz bus, so I would say
> check your memory , or better change your memory to 100MHz bus(you must
> have 66MHz memory).
> Post back the finding.
>
> .
> "Terry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I upgraded a PII 266 CPU to a PII 450 CPU on a P6I440BX/B1 motherboard

> with
> > Brilliant-I BIOS V1.0SL. I know that it supports the CPU because it's a

> BX
> > chipset. I went into the BIOS and changed the Speed Easy CPU speed to

> match
> > the processor speed. I didn't change anything else. No other hardware
> > changes other than the new CPU and no software changes.
> >
> > The problem I'm having with the new configuration is that everything

keeps
> > crashing. My programs get an illegal operation and must be shut down

> error
> > message and I also get some blue screens. I checked to see if there

> needed
> > to be any jumper settings changed but the only jumper I see is to clear

> the
> > CMOS. I also checked the CPU temperature and it's holding steady at 37
> > degrees celsius.
> >
> > Please post your reply here or reply without the dots before the @.
> > Thank You

Terry

It passes the POST test. The standard 1 beep I'm OK POST. I'm running
Windows 98. It's a clean install that I done last year. Didn't upgrade the
OS.

Terry
news:Xns942CC1DF3E41Adocmillexcitenyetcom@216.168. 3.44...

> It passes the POST test. The standard 1 beep I'm OK POST. I'm running
> Windows 98. It's a clean install that I done last year. Didn't upgrade
> the OS.

<snip>

Try and reload WIn 98 on top of itself. IFRC, you can rename the Programs
Files folder in 98 from Windows or a DOS prompt. Any way you can manage it,
save the program files folder, and then reinstall the WIN98. When it's done,
you need to get rid of the new Programs File folder and put back the old one.
And of course, Windows Media Player 9 won't let you install the OS without
puking up some of their files, but that's only if you had the mustard and
downed that dog.

--
+++++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++
Docmill's "Home of Hot Links in the FryingSpam"
No Lemmings or pseudo-plonkers were amused by this post, but I tried.

Shel-hed

He meant to swap out the ram with known good pc100 or pc133 that is known to work on
old motherboards.
I don't think they made EDO that went to 100mhz. I wouldn't bet too much on it
though... say no more than a coffee, or two coffees if the waitress is cute.

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 04:45:21 GMT, "Terry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>Do you mean to physically change the RAM I have inside the PC or just change
>a setting in the BIOS? I have a EDO SDRAM Speed Selection which can go to
>50ns or 60ns. I couldn't find anything in the BIOS about the clock speed of
>the RAM.
>
>Terry
>alexandrew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:YjZqb.27641$(E-Mail Removed) m...
>> your PII- 266 is 66MHz bus but your pII-450 is 100MHz bus, so I would say
>> check your memory , or better change your memory to 100MHz bus(you must
>> have 66MHz memory).
>> Post back the finding.
>>
>> .
>> "Terry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I upgraded a PII 266 CPU to a PII 450 CPU on a P6I440BX/B1 motherboard

>> with
>> > Brilliant-I BIOS V1.0SL. I know that it supports the CPU because it's a

>> BX
>> > chipset. I went into the BIOS and changed the Speed Easy CPU speed to

>> match
>> > the processor speed. I didn't change anything else. No other hardware
>> > changes other than the new CPU and no software changes.
>> >
>> > The problem I'm having with the new configuration is that everything

>keeps
>> > crashing. My programs get an illegal operation and must be shut down

>> error
>> > message and I also get some blue screens. I checked to see if there

>> needed
>> > to be any jumper settings changed but the only jumper I see is to clear

>> the
>> > CMOS. I also checked the CPU temperature and it's holding steady at 37
>> > degrees celsius.
>> >
>> > Please post your reply here or reply without the dots before the @.
>> > Thank You

Terry

Ok, so I had to lie, I actually upgraded from a 333MHz CPU. See why that
Ford Pinto guy was joking? But it still was a 266 way back. Is it possible
that the PII 333 could use a 66MHz bus? cuz the store that sold me the PC
said it uses PC100 RAM now that I think of it.

Terry
Shel-hed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> He meant to swap out the ram with known good pc100 or pc133 that is known

to work on
> old motherboards.
> I don't think they made EDO that went to 100mhz. I wouldn't bet too much

on it
> though... say no more than a coffee, or two coffees if the waitress is

cute.

> On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 04:45:21 GMT, "Terry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

in
> 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
> >Do you mean to physically change the RAM I have inside the PC or just

change
> >a setting in the BIOS? I have a EDO SDRAM Speed Selection which can go

> >50ns or 60ns. I couldn't find anything in the BIOS about the clock speed

of
> >the RAM.
> >
> >Terry
> >alexandrew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:YjZqb.27641$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> >> your PII- 266 is 66MHz bus but your pII-450 is 100MHz bus, so I would

say
> >> check your memory , or better change your memory to 100MHz bus(you

must
> >> have 66MHz memory).
> >> Post back the finding.
> >>
> >> .
> >> "Terry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

motherboard
> >> with

it's a
> >> BX

> >> match

hardware

> >keeps
> >> error
> >> needed

clear
> >> the

37

GHalleck

Terry wrote:

> Ok, so I had to lie, I actually upgraded from a 333MHz CPU. See why that
> Ford Pinto guy was joking? But it still was a 266 way back. Is it possible
> that the PII 333 could use a 66MHz bus? cuz the store that sold me the PC
> said it uses PC100 RAM now that I think of it.
>
> Terry

The BX chipset can support either PC-66 or PC-100 memory. However,
there is no reason to install PC-100 memory with either a 266 MHz or a
333 MHz CPU. And PC-100 memory would have not been installed unless
its extra cost had been paid for...did you?