Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > help my internet has been hijacked- wayne

help my internet has been hijacked- wayne

wayne upson

does anyone have an answer to this one.
everytime i connect to the internet all web pages are being hijacked by
another web page, namely "locator.com"
it has suddenly started doing this and i cant get out of it. now please bare
with me as i am a novice to pooters so if it is something really easy great
otherwise all help would be appreciated.
cheers.
im running windows xp and blueyonder broadband.

B. Al. Zeebub

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 08:10:20 +0000, B. Al. Zeebub read and pondered :

> does anyone have an answer to this one.
> everytime i connect to the internet all web pages are being hijacked by
> another web page, namely "locator.com"
> it has suddenly started doing this and i cant get out of it. now please bare
> with me as i am a novice to pooters so if it is something really easy great
> otherwise all help would be appreciated.
> cheers.
> im running windows xp and blueyonder broadband.

Oops!
Download and run Spybot Search & Destroy.
http://www.safer-networking.org/
or AdAware:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
Check your internet security, or lack of it here:
http://grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2
After you've recieved a "Danger! Danger, Will Robinson" type report, and
smoke belches from your pooooooter go here and install Zone Alarm:
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...ap_za_grid.jsp Then go here
to browse antivirus software:
http://tinyurl.com/u1qz
Purchase, install, and update it regularly. Visit Micro$oft Update
regularly.

And finally to avoid this problem in the future *do not* use Internet
Explorer or Outlook Express. Oh, and set up you computer with a limited
account for each user to reduce the damage that they may do. Basically
only the administrator should be allowed to install programs.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...ng/default.asp
Now go do some reading and enjoy the Internet comfortably.
B.

Bill

"B. Al. Zeebub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsoKqb.657$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Now go do some reading and enjoy the Internet comfortably.

Enjoy it?

You'll put the shits up the poor guy for a fortnight!

Bill

nemo

Wayne,

You might want to munge your email address to avoid getting more spam,
try something like http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) or try this link:

http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

Regards

nemo

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 08:10:20 -0000, "wayne upson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>does anyone have an answer to this one.
>everytime i connect to the internet all web pages are being hijacked by
>another web page, namely "locator.com"
>it has suddenly started doing this and i cant get out of it. now please bare
>with me as i am a novice to pooters so if it is something really easy great
>otherwise all help would be appreciated.
>cheers.
>im running windows xp and blueyonder broadband.

BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ

wayne upson wrote:

> does anyone have an answer to this one.
> everytime i connect to the internet all web pages are being hijacked by
> another web page, namely "locator.com"
> it has suddenly started doing this and i cant get out of it. now please bare
> with me as i am a novice to pooters so if it is something really easy great
> otherwise all help would be appreciated.
> cheers.
> im running windows xp and blueyonder broadband.

Likely IE's been hijacked by some spyware / malware / adware....

Check out Download.Com for Anti-Spyware programs - one of the most
suggested ones is AdAware by LavaSoft.. but there's a bunch more out
there. I'm sure someone'll give you the names of some of the others.

Oh, and you might want to check out Mozilla or some other Non-Microsoft
browser to keep this from happening again.

Good Luck!

(E-Mail Removed)
BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
(BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

Peter Trembath

Try Spybot Search & Destroy. It's the best anti-spyware prog out there.
Get it at www.safer-networking.org .
news:(E-Mail Removed)...