Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > NTL broadband speed too low???

NTL broadband speed too low???

Antony Leather

Hey peeps. I just got my 600kbps ntl broadband installed. Now the first time
I tested it on www.bandwidthplace.com I got about 545kbps which was pretty
much expected. However a few days later I'm getting 430kbps consistantly, a
whole 1/3 slower than it should be! I've checked for the blaster and Welchia
viruses with the removal tools, but since then I've actually formatted my
hard drive and reinstalled everything. I tested it straight afterwards with
no possible virus on my system and I'm still getting 430kbps.

I know bandwidth place works cos I tested my old broadband connection which
was rated at 512kbps with telewest and this got over 500kbps. Also the fact
that the speed seems consistant shows that it is probably accurate.

Anyone got any ideas cos I'm not paying 25 a month when I should be paying
more like 18!!!

Antony

1-1-Diethyl-1-Phenoxyphenyl-Dimethylphenoxy-Octanol-3-4-Oxy-2-Terephthalate

Antony Leather wrote:
> Hey peeps. I just got my 600kbps ntl broadband installed. Now the
> first time I tested it on www.bandwidthplace.com I got about 545kbps
> which was pretty much expected. However a few days later I'm getting
> 430kbps consistantly, a whole 1/3 slower than it should be!

1/3 of 545kbps is around 180kbps, which means you would have a speed of
365kbps. You are a ****ing exaggerating liar.

> I know bandwidth place works cos I tested my old broadband connection
> which was rated at 512kbps with telewest and this got over 500kbps.
> Also the fact that the speed seems consistant shows that it is
> probably accurate.

Network load, you dumb****. And did you check to see if your ISP throttles
your line? Hmmm?

> Anyone got any ideas cos I'm not paying 25 a month when I should be
> paying more like 18!!!

Well, aren't you the perennial ****wit? Maybe you should find out what MTU
your ISP recommends, eh. 1492 would be a good place to start.

Petit Alexi

"Antony Leather" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:ekrqb.1741$%(E-Mail Removed):

> Hey peeps. I just got my 600kbps ntl broadband installed.

Heh, ntl, heh.

BTW: You don't seem to have munged your email address. You might want to
stick a .invalid on the end, and some random letters between the ntlworld
and the .com

TRADESMAN

Antony Leather wrote:
> Hey peeps. I just got my 600kbps ntl broadband installed. Now the
> first time I tested it on www.bandwidthplace.com I got about 545kbps
> which was pretty much expected. However a few days later I'm getting
> 430kbps consistantly, a whole 1/3 slower than it should be! I've
> checked for the blaster and Welchia viruses with the removal tools,
> but since then I've actually formatted my hard drive and reinstalled
> everything. I tested it straight afterwards with no possible virus on
> my system and I'm still getting 430kbps.
>
> I know bandwidth place works cos I tested my old broadband connection
> which was rated at 512kbps with telewest and this got over 500kbps.
> Also the fact that the speed seems consistant shows that it is
> probably accurate.
>
> Anyone got any ideas cos I'm not paying 25 a month when I should be
> paying more like 18!!!
>
> Antony

Sounds pretty much par for the course. I rarely acheive speeds of more than
400 Kbps and average only 390. I can tell you now that complaining to NTL
will not make one iota of difference. They have allowed demand to outstrip
supply.
Given that, it is a fairly reliable service and is quite cheap. ISPs are
like Banks, rarely do they deliver a service that satisfies everyone. I
guess that's why people are constantly chopping and changing

--
You could always downgrade to 125K.

sluff

Antony Leather wrote:
> Hey peeps. I just got my 600kbps ntl broadband installed. Now the
> first time I tested it on www.bandwidthplace.com I got about 545kbps
> which was pretty much expected. However a few days later I'm getting
> 430kbps consistantly, a whole 1/3 slower than it should be! I've
> checked for the blaster and Welchia viruses with the removal tools,
> but since then I've actually formatted my hard drive and reinstalled
> everything. I tested it straight afterwards with no possible virus on
> my system and I'm still getting 430kbps.
>
> I know bandwidth place works cos I tested my old broadband connection
> which was rated at 512kbps with telewest and this got over 500kbps.
> Also the fact that the speed seems consistant shows that it is
> probably accurate.
>
> Anyone got any ideas cos I'm not paying 25 a month when I should be
> paying more like 18!!!
>
> Antony

And it says on the test site that the results will be *inaccurate*
SO....................

---

SgtMinor

Antony Leather wrote:

> Hey peeps. I just got my 600kbps ntl broadband installed. Now the first time
> I tested it on www.bandwidthplace.com I got about 545kbps which was pretty
> much expected. However a few days later I'm getting 430kbps consistantly, a
> whole 1/3 slower than it should be! I've checked for the blaster and Welchia
> viruses with the removal tools, but since then I've actually formatted my
> hard drive and reinstalled everything. I tested it straight afterwards with
> no possible virus on my system and I'm still getting 430kbps.
>
> I know bandwidth place works cos I tested my old broadband connection which
> was rated at 512kbps with telewest and this got over 500kbps. Also the fact
> that the speed seems consistant shows that it is probably accurate.
>
> Anyone got any ideas cos I'm not paying 25 a month when I should be paying
> more like 18!!!
>
> Antony

Check out the Navas Cable Modem/DSL Tuning Guide:
http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/

It's amazing to me that you actually reformatted your hard drive. With
proper maintenance, your machine should run for years without needing
such drastic action. And it does not solve all problems; some viruses
can survive a reformat.