Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > TinyURL perils

TinyURL perils

Petit Alexi

For all those people who like tiny URL:

http://tinyurl.com/****

and no, it doesn't lead to a pr0n website.

Trent C

> For all those people who like tiny URL:
>

> http://tinyurl.com/****
>
> and no, it doesn't lead to a pr0n website.

Seems vaguely appropriate, especially when she's married to a Dick.

slumpy

With a rumble and a belch Trent C decided to put the World to rights with
this little speech from the heart...

>> For all those people who like tiny URL:
>>

>> http://tinyurl.com/****
>>
>> and no, it doesn't lead to a pr0n website.

> Seems vaguely appropriate, especially when she's married to a Dick.

Is she a failed Hilary-clone ?
Sure looks like it to me....
--
slumpy
no more

SgtMinor

Petit Alexi wrote:

> For all those people who like tiny URL:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/****
>
> and no, it doesn't lead to a pr0n website.

Funny. And I thought tinyurl was strictly non-political!

Patrick

Petit Alexi wrote:
> For all those people who like tiny URL:
>

> http://tinyurl.com/****
>
> and no, it doesn't lead to a pr0n website.

oooh, nasty (checked it) !

bb3

"SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Petit Alexi wrote:
> >
> > For all those people who like tiny URL:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/****
> >
> > and no, it doesn't lead to a pr0n website.

> Funny. And I thought tinyurl was strictly non-political!

Apparently not... www.tinyurl.com/hate .

Blinky the Shark

SgtMinor wrote:
> Petit Alexi wrote:

>> For all those people who like tiny URL:

>> http://tinyurl.com/****

>> and no, it doesn't lead to a pr0n website.

> Funny. And I thought tinyurl was strictly non-political!

I haven't seen any evidence that tiny.url is political. They're
not responsible for the shortcuts that users create. If someone
does a website at, say, Geocities, such as eocities/vegetarians, does
that make *Geocities* "vegetarian"?

--
Blinky - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Linux RU 297263
Microsoft, 23 Oct: "As a result of challenges to our business model,

SgtMinor

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> SgtMinor wrote:
> > Petit Alexi wrote:

> >> For all those people who like tiny URL:

> >> http://tinyurl.com/****

> >> and no, it doesn't lead to a pr0n website.

> > Funny. And I thought tinyurl was strictly non-political!

> I haven't seen any evidence that tiny.url is political. They're
> not responsible for the shortcuts that users create. If someone
> does a website at, say, Geocities, such as eocities/vegetarians, does
> that make *Geocities* "vegetarian"?

I wrote that in jest. Don't tell me I need to add an emoticon?

But it does point out a lack of sophistication on the part of tinyurl.
It is they, not the user, who determines the four letter shortcut. Four
letters can generate 456976 different combinations. How hard would it
be to make a database of those 'four-letter words' that may be
considered offensive and screen them out? There would still be hundreds
of thousands of combinations left.

SgtMinor wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>> SgtMinor wrote:

>> > Funny. And I thought tinyurl was strictly non-political!

>> I haven't seen any evidence that tiny.url is political. They're
>> not responsible for the shortcuts that users create. If someone
>> does a website at, say, Geocities, such as eocities/vegetarians, does
>> that make *Geocities* "vegetarian"?

> I wrote that in jest. Don't tell me I need to add an emoticon?

I didn't pick up on that.

> But it does point out a lack of sophistication on the part of tinyurl.
> It is they, not the user, who determines the four letter shortcut. Four
> letters can generate 456976 different combinations. How hard would it
> be to make a database of those 'four-letter words' that may be
> considered offensive and screen them out? There would still be hundreds
> of thousands of combinations left.

And people would be suing them for "censorship".

--
Blinky - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Linux RU 297263
Microsoft, 23 Oct: "As a result of challenges to our business model,
sales of our products may decline, we may have to reduce the prices
we charge for our products..." http://snipurl.com/open_source

Dolly

Check out jitbot Go link. It has more features, tracking hits, retrieve from
cache if page no longer available, reviews, translation, dictionary, search,
calculator, stats, search over 10 major search engines at once. At least it
gets the name correct

http://go.jitbot.com/mrs.cheney

-- Dolly

Tinyurl Charlie Bress Computer Support 4 10-24-2006 02:39 AM
tinyURL address for how long? dorayme HTML 56 06-05-2006 07:28 AM
extern const char * vs. extern const char []http://tinyurl.com/47e3k Thomas Matthews C++ 5 08-02-2004 10:36 AM
TinyURL problem Ionizer Computer Support 14 02-24-2004 10:41 PM
Service like tinyurl but private link Sparky Computer Support 7 01-03-2004 08:08 PM

Advertisments