Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Copying system files in Safe Mode

Copying system files in Safe Mode

Tommy T

I need to replace some Windows system files on my C drive with earlier
copies kept on an external USB hard disk.
I cannot copy them back to the C drive using MS Dos at it does not
support USB.
Would it be safe to copy them from the USB disk to the C drive using
Windows Safe Mode?
If not, can anyone suggest how I can safely copy them?
Thanks for any help.
Tommy T.

Mr. Smiley

Tommy T wrote:
> I need to replace some Windows system files on my C drive with earlier
> copies kept on an external USB hard disk.
> I cannot copy them back to the C drive using MS Dos at it does not
> support USB.
> Would it be safe to copy them from the USB disk to the C drive using
> Windows Safe Mode?
> If not, can anyone suggest how I can safely copy them?
> Thanks for any help.
> Tommy T.

Why not copy them to a temp dir on Drive C 1st? Use regular mode. Then you
could copy them by using a bootable floppy in case some files would be in
use in DOS or Win mode.

--
the abominable toner
http://www.hal-pc.org/~toner27/

°Mike°

How about using the System File Checker?

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 11:13:47 -0000, in
<bodae5$pmc$(E-Mail Removed)>
Tommy T scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"Tommy T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bodae5$pmc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I need to replace some Windows system files on my C drive with earlier
> copies kept on an external USB hard disk.
> I cannot copy them back to the C drive using MS Dos at it does not
> support USB.
> Would it be safe to copy them from the USB disk to the C drive using
> Windows Safe Mode?

Nope.

> If not, can anyone suggest how I can safely copy them?

Copy them to a stage directory on the HD, then boot up in MSDOS
mode, and move them to where they need to be.

RwP

Norton Antivirus 2005 will not scan in normal mode but will in safe mode Vic Computer Support 2 09-23-2005 07:39 PM
Re: Norton Antivirus 2005 will not scan in normal mode but will in safe mode Vic Computer Support 0 09-23-2005 04:50 PM
Safe mode Vs normal mode Echy Firefox 6 08-27-2005 07:56 PM
adware different in safe mode and normal mode?? Ladydeb Computer Support 0 09-24-2004 09:30 AM

Advertisments