Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > RealOne won't die!

Reply
Thread Tools

RealOne won't die!

 
 
Viewasku1977
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2003
Just upgraded our computer and removed RealOne and then downloaded some videos
but when you right click on them to get them to play, the only options given
are to open in RealOne and to open in WMP and when you select WMP, a message
pops up saying it won't work because the files aren't recognized! If anyone
knows how to get rid of RealOne once and for all, and to get them to open in
something else, I'd like to hear it because RealOne has to be the biggest
parasite out there! It wants to take over EVERYTHING! This is for a Windows
operating system 98 SE. Thanks for your advice.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
trout
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2003
Viewasku1977 wrote:

> Just upgraded our computer and removed RealOne and then downloaded
> some videos but when you right click on them to get them to play, the
> only options given are to open in RealOne and to open in WMP and when
> you select WMP, a message pops up saying it won't work because the
> files aren't recognized! If anyone knows how to get rid of RealOne
> once and for all, and to get them to open in something else, I'd
> like to hear it because RealOne has to be the biggest parasite out
> there! It wants to take over EVERYTHING! This is for a Windows
> operating system 98 SE. Thanks for your advice.


What's the file extension of the videos you're trying to play? It
could be that WMP just *doesn't* recognize them, because of the format,
and it doesn't matter what else is (or isn't) installed.
I haven't used it yet; but I often see the Real Alternative player
recommended for these kinds of files:
http://www.soft32.com/download_11098.html
--
"Have a look."


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Viewasku1977
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2003
>hat's the file extension of the videos you're trying to play? It
>could be that WMP just *doesn't* recognize them, because of the format,
>and it doesn't matter what else is (or isn't) installed.
> I haven't used it yet; but I often see the Real Alternative player
>recommended for these kinds of files:
>http://www.soft32.com/download_11098.html
>--
>"Have a look."
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>


>hat's the file extension of the videos you're trying to play? It
>could be that WMP just *doesn't* recognize them, because of the format,
>and it doesn't matter what else is (or isn't) installed.
> I haven't used it yet; but I often see the Real Alternative player
>recommended for these kinds of files:
>http://www.soft32.com/download_11098.html
>--
>"Have a look."
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>


I tried the link and when I click "download now" a sign in box pops up wanting
a password. There's no mention of this on the site. The original files seem
to be .ra files (real files) but I thought there was a way to convert them?
 
Reply With Quote
 
trout
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2003
Viewasku1977 wrote:

>> What's the file extension of the videos you're trying to play? It
>> could be that WMP just *doesn't* recognize them, because of the
>> format,
>> and it doesn't matter what else is (or isn't) installed.
>> I haven't used it yet; but I often see the Real Alternative player
>> recommended for these kinds of files:
>> http://www.soft32.com/download_11098.html
>> --
>> "Have a look."


> I tried the link and when I click "download now" a sign in box pops
> up wanting a password. There's no mention of this on the site. The
> original files seem to be .ra files (real files) but I thought there
> was a way to convert them?


Whoops. Sorry about that. Here's a link that works.
<***********************************finalbuilds.htm>

And, sorry again, but I don't know of a program that will convert
Real files.
--
"Maybe, try asking in alt.comp.freeware."


 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2003
Viewasku1977 wrote:

> Just upgraded our computer and removed RealOne and then downloaded
> some videos
> but when you right click on them to get them to play, the only options
> given
> are to open in RealOne and to open in WMP and when you select WMP, a
> message
> pops up saying it won't work because the files aren't recognized! If
> anyone
> knows how to get rid of RealOne once and for all, and to get them to
> open in
> something else, I'd like to hear it because RealOne has to be the
> biggest
> parasite out there! It wants to take over EVERYTHING! This is for a
> Windows
> operating system 98 SE. Thanks for your advice.



Basic mistake made by most people is during install.
They just blindly click ok and go onto the next screen.
To make real player like any other viewer, UNCHECK everything.
Do not accept anything blindly without reading the choices first.
Once you do that, "Real" becomes another viewer.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Max Quordlepleen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2003
"trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> And, sorry again, but I don't know of a program that will convert
> Real files.


If you're interested, trout, meet me in the forest, I may have
something for you.

--
Nationalism is an infantile disease, the measles of humanity. -
Einstein
 
Reply With Quote
 
trout
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2003
Max Quordlepleen wrote:

> "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> And, sorry again, but I don't know of a program that will convert
>> Real files.

>
> If you're interested, trout, meet me in the forest, I may have
> something for you.


Picnic basket packed.
--
"My, isn't being oblique fun?"


 
Reply With Quote
 
[ Doc Jeff ]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2003
On 06 Nov 2003 07:08:20 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)ojuno (Viewasku1977)
wrote:

>Just upgraded our computer and removed RealOne


If all you did was use the add/remove applet in Control Panel, no you
didn't remove RO... It requires registry work to remove completely.

>and then downloaded some videos but when you right click on them to get them
>to play, the only options given are to open in RealOne and to open in WMP
>and when you select WMP, a message pops up saying it won't work because the
>files aren't recognized!


WMP doesn't play files in Real form (.RA .RAM etc). They'll have to
be converted to play in WMP. TINRA should convert them - slowly.


--
http://www.cotse.net - Use it, you know you want to.
If you're too scared to go look for yourself, ask me
about COTSE. I'd be happy to tell you about it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Viewasku1977
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2003
>If all you did was use the add/remove applet in Control Panel, no you
>didn't remove RO... It requires registry work to remove completely.
>


Interesting. What would I be looking for in the registry? I'd like to delete
the whole thing not because I'm all that concerned about privacy issues, but
because nothing I view seems to want to work with settings as they are now.
I'd like a clean slate to start over and see where things went wrong.
 
Reply With Quote
 
[ Doc Jeff ]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2003
On 07 Nov 2003 17:12:41 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)ojuno (Viewasku1977)
wrote:

>>If all you did was use the add/remove applet in Control Panel, no you
>>didn't remove RO... It requires registry work to remove completely.
>>

>
>Interesting. What would I be looking for in the registry? I'd like to delete
>the whole thing not because I'm all that concerned about privacy issues, but
>because nothing I view seems to want to work with settings as they are now.
>I'd like a clean slate to start over and see where things went wrong.


In an ideal situation, you'd use something like an installation
manager (InCtrl5 goes on every Win9x system I use). Lacking that,
however, use RegEdit to search your registry for "real" and you'll see
just how insidious it is

--
http://www.cotse.net - Use it, you know you want to.
If you're too scared to go look for yourself, ask me
about COTSE. I'd be happy to tell you about it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
open with RealOne player paul.bennett Computer Support 2 08-23-2003 09:30 AM
problems with RealOne player WCH Computer Support 2 08-01-2003 02:35 AM
Signing into RealOne via RealOne Player Martin Barr-David Computer Support 1 07-06-2003 07:46 AM
Re: Alternative to RealOne player? sethra Computer Support 1 07-05-2003 05:11 PM
Re: Alternative to RealOne player? °Mike° Computer Support 3 07-03-2003 07:56 AM



Advertisments