Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > managing multiple email servers in OE

managing multiple email servers in OE

osote

In Outlook Express 6.0, how do you make the danged default email server be
the default email server for outgoing email? I have multiple email servers
and have the one I want to be the default set to be that but everytime I try
to send an email it tries to use the other email server and won't go through
so I have to go to the outbox and open it and change the email server. This
is really irritating me and I find no solution in the help files (as usual,
come on Microsoft, you can do better.)

Stealth

Goto tools-accounts - click the one you want and click set as
default in right column

"osote" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In Outlook Express 6.0, how do you make the danged default

email server be
> the default email server for outgoing email? I have multiple

email servers
> and have the one I want to be the default set to be that but

everytime I try
> to send an email it tries to use the other email server and

won't go through
> so I have to go to the outbox and open it and change the email

server. This
> is really irritating me and I find no solution in the help

files (as usual,
> come on Microsoft, you can do better.)

rifleman

You have to setup the smtp server in each account with the details of the
default smtp server.
(Tools-Accounts-Properties)

"osote" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In Outlook Express 6.0, how do you make the danged default email server be
> the default email server for outgoing email? I have multiple email

servers
> and have the one I want to be the default set to be that but everytime I

try
> to send an email it tries to use the other email server and won't go

through
> so I have to go to the outbox and open it and change the email server.

This
> is really irritating me and I find no solution in the help files (as

usual,
> come on Microsoft, you can do better.)

osote

I did that already, of course, and said so in my original post. The problem
is in sending mail the default mail server is not used, the associated one
is. I have to logon to each mail server with different username and
password to receive mail from the two different accounts so I see no way to
change the smtp without it affecting my ability to receive mail. It's more
complicated than your simple answer.

"Stealth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Goto tools-accounts - click the one you want and click set as
> default in right column
>
> "osote" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In Outlook Express 6.0, how do you make the danged default

> email server be
> > the default email server for outgoing email? I have multiple

> email servers
> > and have the one I want to be the default set to be that but

> everytime I try
> > to send an email it tries to use the other email server and

> won't go through
> > so I have to go to the outbox and open it and change the email

> server. This
> > is really irritating me and I find no solution in the help

> files (as usual,
> > come on Microsoft, you can do better.)

osote

If I do that then it will affect my ability to receive mail since I have to
logon to the mail server with different username and password for each
different mail account. Isn't there a way to get them both to use the
default smtp for outgoing but have different mail servers for incoming?

"rifleman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bob88k$1crdpb$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> You have to setup the smtp server in each account with the details of the
> default smtp server.
> (Tools-Accounts-Properties)
>
> "osote" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In Outlook Express 6.0, how do you make the danged default email server

be
> > the default email server for outgoing email? I have multiple email

> servers
> > and have the one I want to be the default set to be that but everytime I

> try
> > to send an email it tries to use the other email server and won't go

> through
> > so I have to go to the outbox and open it and change the email server.

> This
> > is really irritating me and I find no solution in the help files (as

> usual,
> > come on Microsoft, you can do better.)

nemo

osote,

It will not affect your ability to send as the logon to a mail server
receive mail. This is the reason why an isp will normally only let you
sent mail when you are connected directly to them.

Regards

nemo

>On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 03:49:13 -0800, "osote" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If I do that then it will affect my ability to receive mail since I have to
>logon to the mail server with different username and password for each
>different mail account. Isn't there a way to get them both to use the
>default smtp for outgoing but have different mail servers for incoming?
>
>"rifleman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:bob88k$1crdpb$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>> You have to setup the smtp server in each account with the details of the
>> default smtp server.
>> (Tools-Accounts-Properties)
>>
>> "osote" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > In Outlook Express 6.0, how do you make the danged default email server

>be
>> > the default email server for outgoing email? I have multiple email

>> servers
>> > and have the one I want to be the default set to be that but everytime I

>> try
>> > to send an email it tries to use the other email server and won't go

>> through
>> > so I have to go to the outbox and open it and change the email server.

>> This
>> > is really irritating me and I find no solution in the help files (as

>> usual,
>> > come on Microsoft, you can do better.)

nemo

osote,

I posting this again with the missing words added:

Changing the smtp settings will not affect your ability to receive
mail. This is because you only need to logon to a mail server to
receive mail not to send it. This is the reason why an isp will
normally only let you send mail when you are connected directly to
them.

Apologies for the previous poor posting.

Regards

nemo