Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Floppies and CDs in X-Ray machines at airports?

Floppies and CDs in X-Ray machines at airports?

Pauline Johnson

Can any one tell me if it is safe to let computer floppy and CD disks
go through the X-ray machines at airports?

Are they likely to be damaged?

Cheers .........

--
Paulie

pjpjpj FROM aussiemail THINGO com

Harrison

There should be no ill effects with either.

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 10:31:11 +1100, Pauline Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Can any one tell me if it is safe to let computer floppy and CD disks
>go through the X-ray machines at airports?
>
>Are they likely to be damaged?
>
>Cheers .........

°Mike°

You should be more concerned about walking through
a metal detector whilst carrying floppies. To be safe,
though, most airports will inspect such items by hand,
if asked.

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 10:31:11 +1100, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Pauline Johnson scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ

Harrison wrote:

> There should be no ill effects with either.
>
> On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 10:31:11 +1100, Pauline Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Can any one tell me if it is safe to let computer floppy and CD disks
>>go through the X-ray machines at airports?
>>
>>Are they likely to be damaged?

Remember, operative word is SHOULD. "Mission criticle" info should not
be trusted to floppies anyway - WAY too delicate these days, My opinion.

When in doubt, ask the item to be hand-inspected... or use CD-R media
since it will not be affected by x-ray.

BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
(BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

Harrison

The OP didn't mention anything about "mission criticle", or even
"mission critical" data, for that matter.
Please respond to the OP and not to the respondent.
I'm not terribly interested in the matter, or I would have posted the
question myself.

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 19:10:54 -0500, BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Harrison wrote:
>
>> There should be no ill effects with either.
>>
>> On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 10:31:11 +1100, Pauline Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Can any one tell me if it is safe to let computer floppy and CD disks
>>>go through the X-ray machines at airports?
>>>
>>>Are they likely to be damaged?

>Remember, operative word is SHOULD. "Mission criticle" info should not
>be trusted to floppies anyway - WAY too delicate these days, My opinion.
>
>When in doubt, ask the item to be hand-inspected... or use CD-R media
>since it will not be affected by x-ray.
>
>--

Pauline Johnson

wrote:

>Can any one tell me if it is safe to let computer floppy and CD disks
>go through the X-ray machines at airports?
>
>Are they likely to be damaged?

Thanks Harrison and Mike for info you sent.

Cheers ....

--
Paulie

pjpjpj FROM aussiemail THINGO com

°Mike°

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 11:01:44 +1100, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Pauline Johnson scrawled:

>On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 10:31:11 +1100, Pauline Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Can any one tell me if it is safe to let computer floppy and CD disks
>>go through the X-ray machines at airports?
>>
>>Are they likely to be damaged?

>Thanks Harrison and Mike for info you sent.
>
>Cheers ....

You're welcome.

--
Basic computer maintenance

revengemeister revengemeister is offline
Junior Member

I just joined up for one purpose. To reply to harrison.

Did you actually read your post before you submitted it?

Dude get off your high horse before you fall off and hurt yourself!

The guy you was patronising was actually being very helpful to the poster and offered some sound advice. It was not spot on point, but still very relevant.

You Sir, are a fool, and certainly not a gentleman.