Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Spyware protection question...

Spyware protection question...

Jon

Does anyone have any advice on spyware protectors that work well in
combination with each other? I'm presently using Spybot Search and Destroy
(in XPpro), and it seems fine, but what else might be lurking.....?
TIA

°Mike°

The best thing about SpyBot S&D, and other good
anti-spyware software, is that is does not need to
run in the background, and therefore works well
with most other software.

All of these run well together:

Spybot Search & Destroy
http://spybot.eon.net.au/
http://www.safer-networking.org/

Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Spyware Blaster

HijackThis
http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 19:15:38 +0100, in
<3fa3f84d$0$13877$(E-Mail Removed)>
Jon scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Jon

Of course.......
That leaves the question - if you ran every spyware detector available, one
after the other, while offline; would you be free of spyware.....?!
Thanks Mike.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The best thing about SpyBot S&D, and other good
> anti-spyware software, is that is does not need to
> run in the background, and therefore works well
> with most other software.
>
> All of these run well together:
>
> Spybot Search & Destroy
> http://spybot.eon.net.au/
> http://www.safer-networking.org/
>
> Ad-Aware
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
>
> Spyware Blaster
>
> HijackThis
> http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/
>

> On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 19:15:38 +0100, in
> <3fa3f84d$0$13877$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Jon scrawled:
>
> >Does anyone have any advice on spyware protectors that
> >work well in combination with each other? I'm presently using
> >Spybot Search and Destroy (in XPpro), and it seems fine, but
> >what else might be lurking.....?
> >TIA
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Ionizer

"Jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fa407c5$0$56498$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Of course.......
> That leaves the question - if you ran every spyware detector available,

one
> after the other, while offline; would you be free of spyware.....?!
> Thanks Mike.

The answer would have to be "probably." Do you have something going on with
your computer that leads you to suspect you've got some elusive spyware
installed?

Ian.

°Mike°

Possibly, possibly not. New spyware (or variations) are
released all the time. That's why such programs have
updates. Who is to say that you don't have a piece of
malware that doesn't have a detection for it yet?
The same goes for viruses, worms and trojans.

The programs I listed are all that you are likely to need.

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 20:21:23 +0100, in
<3fa407c5$0$56498$(E-Mail Removed)>
Jon scrawled:

>Of course.......
>That leaves the question - if you ran every spyware detector
>available, one after the other, while offline; would you be free
>of spyware.....?!
>Thanks Mike.

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The best thing about SpyBot S&D, and other good
>> anti-spyware software, is that is does not need to
>> run in the background, and therefore works well
>> with most other software.
>>
>> All of these run well together:
>>
>> Spybot Search & Destroy
>> http://spybot.eon.net.au/
>> http://www.safer-networking.org/
>>
>> Ad-Aware
>> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
>>
>> Spyware Blaster
>> http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html
>>
>> HijackThis
>> http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/
>>

>> On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 19:15:38 +0100, in
>> <3fa3f84d$0$13877$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Jon scrawled:
>>
>> >Does anyone have any advice on spyware protectors that
>> >work well in combination with each other? I'm presently using
>> >Spybot Search and Destroy (in XPpro), and it seems fine, but
>> >what else might be lurking.....?
>> >TIA
>> >

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

Basic computer maintenance

Jon

No, not really, but I do want at least a second protector, given that I do a
fair bit of downloading...

"Ionizer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bo120h$16kdjs$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "Jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3fa407c5$0$56498$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Of course.......
> > That leaves the question - if you ran every spyware >

> The answer would have to be "probably." Do you have something going on

with
> your computer that leads you to suspect you've got some elusive spyware
> installed?
>
> Ian.

Roy

Have a look at Spy Sweeper from Webroot. I find that it finds more spyware
than any other spyware app Ive tried
news:3fa3f84d$0$13877$(E-Mail Removed)...